2 different servers; one with and one without auto gen

So i am one if these persons who thinks auto gen is stupid so this is my idea. There is 2 kind of modes named autog and noautog the noautog has no auto gen and autog has auto gen the worlds will look the same just 2 diffrent tabs in the top middle like when you warp. When you start put the game ofc you will spawn in a auto gen world but then its your choise

Could you elaborate why you think so? As I think that the world regeneration is one of the most amazing things ingame so far…

First and foremost, can you imagine how a world without regeneration would look? Probably somewhat like this:

Furthermore, such a world would be completely barren of any resources within a few weeks…

Sorry, but generally I see little to no benefit from such a setup (on the official public worlds), however I’m confident that there’ll be mods for that for the self hosted servers.

14 Likes

Because of world regeneration Boundless better than Minecraft! triggering

2 Likes

A planet without autogen would be so completely and utterly ruined even by a dozen people in a month, having hundreds of people on such a planet long term would be an awful idea.

There is certainly an idea here where you have a world that spawns for a limited time and it is a first come first serve. But it isn’t something we are exploring at the moment. Although never say never. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think he was talking about permanent worlds not having regen, but having a limited time world spawn with rare resources and no regen would be pretty cool :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all the pic you showed of is probobly from kit pvp server or op server where you get stacks and stacks of tnt. And to elaborate what i mean by its stupid like i start out the game clear an area 3 hrs onky have ine beacon it will only protect a small part next say boom wasted hrs there

Autoregen only happens if no one has placed/broken blocks or walked within 60 blocks of an area for something around 24 hours. There may be bugs with it currently and the numbers may change, but yeah.

1 Like

World without generator makes always flat :wink: to get floating chaos you have to make chaotic amount layers, have tested but learning world builder all over again x)

He is talking about world regeneration^^

ooooh my bad XD

1 Like

and 'im afraid that 24 hours might be too long for the regen to happen when the servers get populated since there’s always someone online so basically in a places where big cities are build the world/biome around them will get ruined and hardly regenerated. if the regen happens always no matter if there is someone it might solve that problem but it brings more problems :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

and that is up to the villagers of said town to maintain themselves.

on the other hand, it means you can have tunnels and roads that don’t need to be beaconed but can be maintained over time and won’t regenerate as long as they’re being used.

3 Likes

That’s great until some troll comes along and places a beacon in your tunnel and fills it with garbage. Will there be a solid system to report such griefing in 1.0?

3 Likes

I think the standing argument about that is whether or not unmaintained beacons should expire, so beacon griefing only becomes a temporary anoyance.

Harder worlds should have little to none regen right? That sounds cool.

1 Like

Un-maintained beacon expiring? I dont know if I understand this correctly…

What if I want to go on vacation for a month, and come back to the game, and have lost all my work?

^And there is the reason it is debated and not really a thing, cause how in the hell do you even balance that so it is fair? On the other hand it is basically impossible to manage the reports about griefing and such. Which means that the choice is really between:

wasting large amounts of resources on regulating the community

punishing people for being away from the game

or just accept that griefing happens

1 Like

Short anser: We have beacons to stop regeneration, so no need for worlds with no regen. If you have to few plots, level up, dude.

2 Likes