2023 Boundless State of the Universe

Has anyone considered joining the future mall? grand opening tomorrow!

3 Likes

Speaking of…

Anyone claiming Boundless has no Future is clearly a liar. :grin: :wink:

5 Likes

Please. Enlighten us lowly peasants and how they could be doing better?

Another mall. Great!

For people considering this game, welcome to the Boundless economy, where it seems there are more malls than players. Of course, that is hyperbole, but I on a more serious note there are likely more mall shop spaces than there are players.

By the way, there very well could be more empty portals than players. Did I mention there are shops all over the place? Yes, there are more empty shop stands than players too.

The loops for many players is (1) Build a town of mostly empty buildings (2) link it to the hubs (3) get bored (4) tear down and move (5) repeat - Fun right? It can be for awhile, but it gets old for many people fast.

Want proof that it gets old for most? Go look at the Steam Charts and the trend the past three or four years.

Why are there so many empty buildings? As @CleoStJames astutely asked, “where are the decorations?”

The buildings that you find that are not empty will likely contain shop stands, machines, and or storage containers. There simply is not much else to put in them other than limited furniture options. Maybe that is why there are endless malls and shops :man_shrugging:

So, the State of Boundless for me in 2023:

mostly empty buildings
more towns/cities than players
more shops than players
too many empty portals
too many empty cities/towns
a microscopic player base, many of which are superfans who are very sensitive of any criticism.

But as Host stated:

3 Likes

:face_with_monocle:
Well, that’s why I keep my portals fueled, so they are not “empty” :woman_shrugging: :joy:

About the rest, well it’s a block game. What are we supposed to do other than building? Every task is in the end to get building materials and I guess there’s just one of my kind here, so yeah if I build 5 houses but there’s only one May, that means 4 houses are empty :exploding_head:

3 Likes

For us old school people that were here for a long time this just makes us laugh harder at those so pissed off about the state of the game. It has always been this way and likely will always STAY like this… unfortunately.

Many of us don’t care about this because there are some awesome builds and even if a city is empty some of us LOVE TO VISIT IT and show support to that person’s vision. The core of this game is a building game and having more buildings that people is just fine because we never know the wonders we see around the next corner…

I learned a long time ago not to listen to people’s promises and visions of the future - most are wishes that don’t come true. Due to this I’m not invested in the LACK but instead just enjoy what was done. While much of the game isn’t finished - I’m fine with what we have - walk around some of the great builds in this game and it satisfies me more than enough.

edit: The “laugh” is NOT meaning to be rude or insensitive. It is more for empathy because they aren’t understanding the situation and wanting something they likely won’t get.

7 Likes

I agree with you @Xaldafax - I have fun just walking around a planet and exploring. Problem is most people do care, get bored and leave. The proof is in the numbers

3 Likes

I would really like to know how video game developers have managed to convince all their customers that their job is just so hard that they shouldn’t be expected to actually do it. None of the rest of the software industry works that way. If I write half a piece of janky software and hand it over to clients like its done, I get fired. Game developers seem to get an awful lot of applause for the exact same behavior.

This sort of grifting is impressive in a way, but not in a good way.

5 Likes

Well luckily I was one of the few people able to talk to the original developers and James a lot. It wasn’t a grift. Some decisions and situations certainly got the better of them but they tried every day. I assume the same owners aren’t grifting people and hopefully will be able to pull the game out of some of the holes it is in and not actually make things worse in the process.

There really are no more “convinced customers” here in the community any longer. They left a long time ago with most of them became jaded and tried to take their anger out at the devs or those of us still here.
They wanted to burn it all down… The core group that is here now and still plays are realists that are able to remove the immature emotions of anger and just enjoy the game for what it is. We accept the reality that the game didn’t land where everyone wanted it to land and that it might never get there… instead we enjoy what we have and passionately build accepting the game and world as it is. Life in this game is nicer like that…

8 Likes

Amen. I usually abstain from commenting on hot threads but tbh I never understood how hounding the devs to do something is expected to produce positive results. Who thinks a dev is developing (or just bought) a game to intentionally let it die? Idk maaaaan.

1 Like

That is great. However, some in the core group are unable to remove the immature emotions of anger they feel when players criticize the state of the game. As a result, they often take up bullying behavior as is on display above.

2 Likes

there is one simple thing they ‘could’ be doing. Lorgar has done the work of rounding up the stuff Monumental have already accomplished. Make that round up a template post, and repost it at the start of each month adding everything else that’s new. A ‘Done’ list, instead of a ‘To Do’ list as it were.

They ‘could’ also be engaging with forum players once a month in a series of rolling posts asking about what we’ve done/enjoyed about the game.

That’s two easy ways to buoy your existing base up without spending money. Do I need that? Nope, but I’d certainly read the posts and engage. I suspect you would, too, and it might stop these endless repetitions of 'what’s going on" unhappy posts.

2 Likes

playing tourist (on Tier 1 worlds) is one of my favourite things - I love seeing what people have created, and the screenshots thread in the forum is my favourite thread because it allows me to see builds on higher tier planets that I’m too chicken to go exploring :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Returning player here. Was excited to hear the news about the take over. This is an great game with so much potential.

Invited some friends to come play. Their feedback was that $60 is too much for a game that has next to zero player base. I agree with them despite it being a great product. Can we get a sale going?! I want people to play with lol.

Hope they can bring some life back to boundless and get people excited once again.

We need titans!! ;D

3 Likes