A Building Question

Good day everyone!

To everyone and to our most talented builders specifically, help a man in need here (haha).

So long story short, how do you plan for your big complex builds (for a base)? Do you make a very intricate plan or do you just go with the flow? I am not too picky these days but also the idea of not being satisfied with a build after spending hundreds of hours building it is really discouraging (happening now with my current 1+ year old build). I know magicavoxel exists but its too limiting (design area size limit). When i built my current base, we didnt have farms, placeable water, and most of the new blocks so its outdated (and ive hit the mesh limit on many of its chunks) and ā€œupgrading itā€ is just hopeless. I tried seeing those websites that provide blueprints for minecraft builds but they werent too much of an inspiration either. Idk what i am expecting from this post but aah lets see if it changes anything :smiley:. Thanks for your time.

Edit: Going with the flow seems like a very risky plan but also making sure you plan everything down to the place of the shelves and machines is just impossible. Crisis intensifies

1 Like

exactly this this is what i do i dont plan i just build and see how it turns out
i cannot build anything to epic standards and i do have a wide range of fantasy but i cannot work this out in boundless and it can be very frustrating knowing u aint got no building skills and not being able to output those skills in game, anyways i think if u plan something u are bound to stick to your plan
thats why i like to start something and just come up with ideas along the way and so far for myself i have not yet been bored, but yeah everyone is different so what works for me does not work for others

3 Likes

I usually design things in magica voxel and then go from there. I dont make the whole build because like you said, its limiting, but it helps me get a feel for smaller stuff that i can combine.

Screenshot_2017

3 Likes

I go about in phasesā€¦

First I plan a general building size/shape to fit my needs. I plan rooms needed, and extra rooms/space for what i didnā€™t plan for. I also try to plan a color scheme and materials needed. TBH im not very good with color schemes tho, everything i build tends to be red/black/ironā€¦

Along the way I try to add details such as; Trim, footers, windows, doors, lights, etcā€¦ Those i freehand. Then I just have fun building while trying to create cool and unique decorations, such as an aquarium.

Google images is always great to give ideas for detail. I also go through TONS of Forged Gold Chiselsā€¦ Im not much for block building, im a chisel kind of guyā€¦

2 Likes

If I told you how many times I have built something large and torn it down to even make the slightest of changes youā€™d think Iā€™m mad. I plan things out briefly on paper, then I do ALOT of planning in game (mainly spacing, thatā€™s the hardest thing for me to get right) but whilst Iā€™m planning I do just going with the flow, but with the FULL knowledge that I will most likely end up tearing it down because I found out that 8 block gap will work better than a 7 block gap, or a slightly bigger circle etc.

The way I think about is it ā€œIā€™m not going to find out the best layout until I make a dozen worse designs firstā€. And if its going to be around ā€˜foreverā€™, then time isnā€™t my concern to getting it perfect :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Ovis hit alot of the primary problems with big builds. Ive torn down some major projects because i didnt like it centered on 2 blocks, and i wanted it centered on 1 block. I eventually accepted imperfection in large builds because i want to do other things besides build 1 base for a year straight just to get it even. But thats your perogative, not bashing anybody who does, more power to you.

Be sure to plan how wide your paths and doors are gonna be, odd or even.

3 Likes

I find a place that inspires an idea (a lake or hill for exampleā€¦) then look around that area to see if there is room for either expanding the first builds or to connect other builds.
The initial idea can sometimes take a while to take form but a broad idea of the potential is all I need to get going and the details come over timeā€¦necessity is the mother of invention as a famous oort once said.
This doesnā€™t always lead to a great result but I always enjoy the journey and itā€™s a great feeling when things do pull together.

plus Iā€™m rubbish at following blueprintsā€¦never let me loose on putting together ikea furniture or whateverā€¦it will never look like it does in the picture :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I just start placing things lol
And if I need to craft materials I craft a bunch hoping that will be enough. If I end up needing more I craft them and take a break while they are ready

2 Likes

-once I pick the perfect spot for my building, the most important part is making a good floor plan.
-I keep the interior and exterior of the building completely separate, so I can use different materials and remodel one if necessary without losing the other one
those would be my 2 tips

11 Likes

I agree with this suggestion strongly. I make all my walls two blocks thick so the interior and exterior can be different materials. I do the same for interior walls so each room can be different than the adjoining room(s).

5 Likes

I do all my :boundless: layout designs in SketchUp.
The chiseling work usually takes place in the game in real-time.
There I just go with the flow.
This last stage usually takes a lot of building, tear down and rebuilding until I am happy with the result :grinning:

5 Likes

FYI you can combine multiple Magika Voxel files in order to design larger builds.

Each building is a separate file and each square in the plaza is also. . they are combined and duplicated to create a larger build

6 Likes

I find walls and floors that are a few blocks thick allow for more detail

2 Likes

I tend to use MagicaVoxel a lot for big builds - it really helps to be able to get a scale for things and how many plots are needed.

Things tend to change a bit in production though when chiseling comes into play!

9 Likes

I just go with the flow. The only bit of planning is for spark links and machine placement. After that I just go with it. You donā€™t like it. Smash it and try something different.

5 Likes

I donā€™t like planning, itā€™s not my thing. I want to build straight away :laughing: I usually get an idea, I start building a little bit and adjust some things when I can. I always pray that it will be something Iā€™d proud of :joy:

I do plan a little in my head, to see if the build is realistic to make

3 Likes

Thanks all for the useful awesome tips. I guess i am just overwhelmed from building my old base that ive lost every ounce of planning will in me haha. Nevertheless, ill take all those tips into consideration - i especially like the double wall one since this was an issue in my first base. Thanks again all!

6 Likes

When I do any build of a certain size, I figure out the space it will be build on, than I start planning it out by building a skeleton of the build, than I fill in the gaps and do the details, at least in half of my builds I follow this steps.

1 Like

Let me know if there is an open contract for destroying land :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about for laying a huge land?