A Few Ideas

Hey everyone, I’ve been playing a little over a month now and really do like the game. I’ve had some ideas that I’d hope to see implemented. Tried posting this a few days ago, but was having issues with my computer.

I. New Weapon Type - Shields
II. New Beacon Type – Trap Tool
III. Pets that grow with the player
IV. Quality of Life – Stasis Effect upon losing connection
V. New Machine Type – Dye Machine
VI. New Building Tool
VII. New Beacon Type – Mailbox
VIII. Atlas Feature
IX. Decorations

I. New Weapon Type - Shields

Kinetic Shield - Projectiles and Melee

Deals knockback damage to enemy units. The stronger the melee attack would hit for the greater the knockback damage done (ignores players Kinetic Armour/Resistance). Slight pushback to player by higher tiered enemy. Reflects projectile attacks back at the opponent hitting for same damage that would have been delivered. Slight pushback by higher tiered enemy. The Kinetic shield can only take so many hits before it must recharge (1 min). Prevents movement and locks player in place while raised. Leaves back and sides exposed to enemy attacks. Player is susceptible to Impulse/Explosive based attacks. Kinetic Shields effectiveness based on Vitality Bonus.

Impulse Shields - Explosives and Beams

Deals reflect damage to enemy units. The stronger the impulse attack would have hit for the greater the damage returned to enemy unit (ignores player Impulse Armour/Resistance). Though holding the shield up will absorb impulse/explosive attacks the player must bash the incoming attack to reflect it back. Alternatively, with beam attacks the player can charge the shield and move the camera to reflect the beam back at other enemy units, though this will prevent player from moving. Blocks explosive attacks when raised. By bashing the shield at the right moment when an enemy unit tries to explode on the player, the push back creates a stun wave to nearby enemy units. The Impulse shield can only take so many hits before it must recharge (1 min). Allows for player movement, except while redirecting beam attacks and while bashing. Leaves back exposed protecting 180 degrees with the midpoint being directly in front of the player. Impulse Shields effectives based on Zeal Bonus.

Notes

1. Regarding the impulse shield, I am assuming the cuttletrunks basic attack is considered impulse, but thought I read somewhere that it may be kinetic. If anyone could clarify this I would appreciate it. :slight_smile:
  2. The recharge time is so players do not simply stand in one spot during the entire fight. So long as they switch between defensive and offensive the player should not have to wait the recharge time.
  3. Push back by higher tiered enemies is to prevent extended huddle formations by players. It is not meant to incur damage to the player.
  4. Ignoring armour stats and resistance stats is how I’d imagine it, as having the shields equipped means you can only have either a sling bow/fist/shield or grapple equipped in the other essentially locking a player at a certain elevation during combat (you wouldn’t want to be defending from cuttletrunks on the ground while wildstock are charging about), but if the developers like the idea except for that part the shield could always act as a gamble weapon. If they were to take into consideration the players armour and resistance stats, then if the player wants to maximize the shields potential you sacrifice armour and resistance to deal max damage back to enemy unit.

II. New Bacon – Monster Baits

Essentially you have a device like a crafting table. In it you can store baits for monsters. You could even craft monster baits in it or using another machine. By placing baits in its storage, the baits are consumed (sort of like coal in a spark generator) to summon x1 wave of “X” number of opponents. You cannot summon a monster that would not spawn on the planet you are using the bait either naturally or through meteors, so no releasing elites on tier 1 worlds. Baits are tiered based on enemy tiers. Furthermore, baits are also based on the monster, for example:

• Spitter bait
  • Stout Spitter Bait
  • Strong Spitter Bait
  • Ect…
    There would also be a maximum number of slots available for “X” number of baits at any given time. This will prevent players from summoning an army worth of monsters in each location. Baits activate timed waves that once expire the monsters disperse and any undefeated monsters do not drop loot nor grant experience.

Players can augment the beacon to increase chances of special monsters appearing. For example: by placing a Shock Shard in the beacons augment slot the player increases the chance for a wave of whatever variant of monster bait they are using. Upon a successful summons the shard is consumed.

Notes

1. This is intended to require placement within a beaconed area.
  2. The inspiration for this is to be able to build hunting grounds where players can hone their combat skills, learn effective tactics for taking down certain enemies and to a lesser extent farm monster parts.
  3. Each bait should require parts dropped by the tiered enemy.

III. Pets

Another thing I would like to see added to the game is a pet system. Exploring the world while gathering can be lonely. I’d like to be able to tame a wildstock, spitter or cuttletrunck. Of course, the pets could go beyond that but those three are what come to mind when I think of monsters in the game.

The mechanics behind it are that the pet will follow the player around. They would need a follow and standby system for the player to control them if they didn’t want to take them out of the homestead. I’d also like a leveling system for the pets. They start at level one and increase the more you explore with them (distanced traveled). At pet level 10 they become the Stout versions, at 20 they become the strong version, at 30 mighty and 40 elite. The pet will change to reflect what their tier looks like.

Each level allots for your pet to do something. The actions are as follows:
Lvl 1 – 9 – Pet may find a common surface drop or ore
Lvl 10 – 19 Pet may find a rare surface drop or ore
Lvl 19 – 29 Pet will draw aggro from enemy units and growl when player is being targeted
Lvl 30 – 39 Pet will attack hostile monsters targeting player.
Lvl 40+ Player can mount their pet

• WildStock – Faster movement over uneven terrain (up mountains)
  • Spitters – Faster movement over even terrain
  • Cuttletrunk – Fly short distance over lava and water

Notes

1. Pets can swim and will teleport if the distance between the player is greater than “X”.
  2. The inspiration behind the idea is that I’d like to build a functioning farm. I’ve tried capturing wild monsters in fences, but they regen out after a certain amount of time. They also chase you forever.
  3. I’d be fine with this being a premium service. It’s not meant to be game changing and I think there needs to be more options for supporting the game beyond Gleam Club.
  4. Your pet is not meant to be able to defeat an entire mob of monsters. Its just a sort of cute mechanic that they will try to protect you in the wild.
  5. Players can have more than one pet. Pets on standby will remain in the beaconed area of your homestead. Should a beacon extinguish pets will be returned to outfits tab in the players inventory.
  6. Not sure if I missed a tier level or not.
  7. Even if they don’t follow you, pets would be awesome for homestead décor. :blush:

Iv. Stasis Effect Upon Losing Connection

When the server loses connection can the player be granted stasis? I seem to be able to incur damage from enemies and even drown, but I cannot move when it happens.

V. Dye Station

A new machine that allows you to dye blocks the same color of dye you combine them with. Maybe give rocks and paints a new drop such as Dark Azure rocks can drop Dark Azure dust and Stale Moss Foliage can drop Stale Moss Berries. These can then be used in a dye recipe via the mixer. The dye is then combined with “X” number of rock or foliage to transform their color. This only changes the color not the type of material. Materials are limited to raw materials, so players cannot transmute the color of stones and up.

VI. Mass Pick Up Tool

Create a tool that allows player to select a square space where they want all items in that space detached and able to be picked up. This would have to be limited to beaconed areas and limited only to the player who owns the master beacon. This will let us mass edit larger builds with less hassle should we decide to unplot the area. The player gains no experience using this tool.

VII. Mailbox

Allow players to craft mailboxes which allow players to communicate to other players offline. Messages will be available to view by all players with worker permissions in the beaconed area. This will help with large scale builds I know we can use signs but not everything has to be communicated on a public format. Messages will expire 24 hours upon being read or 72 hours without being read.

VIII. Atlas Feature

The region the player currently is in will pulse allowing players who have already completed their Atlas for the planet to identify region borders. This would help for meteor hunting.

IX. Decorations

This is more of a request than an idea, but we need more decoration props like the table and chairs. I’ve seen some pages that contain art work, but not sure if they were done by an artist for this game or not. I’d just like to be able to expand my builds while also giving them some more décor. I think with the game focused so heavily on building more decorations are needed and wanted by players, there’s only s much character you can add to builds via blocks. Some decoration ideas:

1. Thin Poles
  2. Flower Vase
  3. Spider Webs
  4. Bird House
  5. Book Shelf with books
  6. Scrolls
  7. Pile of Tools
  8. Single Tool (variants)
  9. Treasure Chest
  10. Rough Gem pile
  11. Ore pile
  12. Buckets
  13. Pile of logs
  14. Fire Place
  15. Wind Chime
  16. Tapestry
  17. Mirror
  18. Candles
  19. Fences (variants)
  20. Barrel
  21. Chandelier
  22. Dresser
  23. Clock
  24. Plant Vines (decal decoration?)
  25. Wild animal props
  26. Scare crow
  27. Well
  28. Backpack
  29. Bed
  30. Transmission Tower (For large scale city builds)

I also want to note that I myself am willing to pay money for decorations. Not that every decoration release needs to be a premium one, but still would like to support the game beyond gleam club.

6 Likes

Wow, put a lot of work into that post, some good stuff.

The mail box idea has been kicking around for a while, would be good for communicating with players that are on in different time zones etc. I’m a fan of having something like that.

1 Like

X . Glider or Wings plspls
or more additional air jumps, depending on how many skill points u spend in. Maybe acrobatics attribute that gives more airjumps, and dive thrusts with every point

1 Like

Just on the decorations bit, a bunch of things are already planned and in the pipeline :slight_smile:
Edit: heres one of the posts: Art: Decorative Totems (Trophies?) and Poles Update! [IMAGE HEAVY!]

2 Likes

All excellent ideas, in addition to the decorations

1. Braziers (yes i know we can use beacons or campfires, but something with a larger customizable flame please)
1 Like