A few questions from a new player

Hi all!
A new player here :slight_smile:

I really don’t ask questions on forums unless I’ve found one on the Internet. Sorry if some of these are answered already in other threads and I’ve missed those somehow :man_shrugging:

So:

1. My friend and I are playing together and don’t really bother about trading etc. Is it worth to make a guild for just the two of us? I see that you can make certain machines in a guild, but are those worth the effort?
  2. I’ve travelled to another planet already and I see that it costs cubits every time to go there (it’s free go to home to my home planet). So I can’t really just travel back and forth from one home to another w/o paying cubits? (portals are too expensive at this point and we don’t want to use other people’s stuff).
  3. Is it worth to make new characters if I’m level 13? E.g. if the answer to (2) is no, I could use a new character at one planet and another at the new one. The main question is - do you get the objectives again? Those yielded a lot of cubits quickly and it would be really fast to get my 600 cubits back then.
    Otherwise, I’ll just stick to my current character and progress further instead.
    P.S. can I use my stuff by the other character I own? For instance, add extra fuel to my main character’s beacon and use machines?

Thanks everybody for your help in advance!
Cheers

4 Likes

You can set permissions on your beacons to let others have the right to access stuff and build there, that might be a solution for you and your friend. Getting to other planets without using portal networks will always be costly so I highly recommend finding some of the portal hubs created for that purpose. No need to feel like you’re using their stuff, they made it so everyone could get around. Also, they get footfall, coin generated from everyone passing through, so it’s a win-win. As for alts, I would stick to your main character until you’re at least level 20. Before then you can respec for free so feel free to experiment since now’s the time to do it. Once you get a feel for what you want to do you can reconsider getting an alt, but be advised that the cubits from alts do not transfer to your main character. Welcome to boundless, you chose a great one to play!

2 Likes

1 you are able to join up to 5 guils, so yes its always nice if you want to be different. i dont know how cheap the buffs can be for the machine. But the machines look cool anyway. Otherwishe for the best buffs you can better join an bigger guild.

2 Traveling to other planets cost coins. coins are ingame currency you can ear be different quests or trading or footfall. Cubits are currency to buy extra plots, cosmetics and other stuff in the boundless shop. this currency can bebought with real money.
But you can make use of the different portal networks. which are free to use!

3 If you dont know where to spend the cubits on? like on plots or cosmetics its indeed handy to buy a char. Spending it on an other skill page wouldnt be handy. But till lvl 20 you can reskill yourself for free
But yes when a new char you get the objectives. Cubits are character bound so you cant transfer them . Deleting your char doesnt refund your cubits but you will still be able to make a char.
You can transfer coins to your other char or any other player be trade

1 Like

Please don’t be afraid to use other people’s portals. That’s what they’re there for. Plus they get paid when you walk on their plots anyway lol. But if you’re avoiding using other’s stuff from a RP perspective I understand. Early on this will be your best bet getting around as getting to higher level planets and back will get very costly.

4 Likes

1: a guild doesn’t cost anything and it gives you extra options. for example more permissions and ‘name right’ in case your beacon is joined to a large settlement (if aligned to guild it displays the name of your beacon upon entry, otherwise just the name of the big city)
2: coins are easy to come by, and if you use portal network to get to the same planet as your destination is on, it only costs 100c to warp to a non home place. settling near a major portal network access could solve all your travelling needs. but if you decide to settle near someone, always try to contact them in case they have plans to expand (speaking of contacting ppl, always make sure all your beacons have a mailbox (placeable item, cheap / easy to craft)
portals are meant to be used by everybody (a stranger visiting your beacon generates money) as a general rule, if someone doesn’t want you somewhere, they put it behind locked doors :slight_smile:
3: for the 1st purchase, another character is probably the better option. you will have to set the permissions for your alt character in the beacon settings as if it were another player, but after that there are no limits

1 Like

Make location markers off ya favorite spots and then use a worlhub travel to the same planet as location you want and warp from there it be much cheaper our you come live in sunken town niazedka where homes are always near a portal that leads to a hub with all the mayor networks free off charge we also have terrain around our city for a group off people to make there own district which we then provide a portal to travel fast grtz from the aquatopia team

1 Like

Probably don’t know all the hubs but the ones i know of are available on every planet.

Use them you really pay nothing for it by just making use of the portal hubs to travel to other worlds.

Portal Seekers
Ultima
Tiggs
Guardian
TNT

There are some like TNT that require 1point in caustic (atmosphere) protection. But most of the portals should have a simple food source to give a temporary protection for it.

Cubits are at the start pretty hard to come by but once you lvl up it will get easier and easier.
Things i would invest cubits in are cosmetics, plots, skill pages and additional characters.
Would keep the skill reset “tokens” until you know know how you want to build your character. (Skill cleanse points are not really needed as you will have a lot of them at a certain point, again my point of view).

As for guild it can be handy if you have multiple characters and plotted with several of them. As you can give control to the guild and don’t have to give rights per placed beacon. But rights in the guild to every controlled beacon after you have signed them in to your guild.

For the buffs if you want buffs I recommend to join a big guild as its to expensive just on your own.

Don’t be afraid to ask… Yes most of us get the same question over and over but one of us will always Anwer. Even in-game (might take a few minutes) just ask.

One thing i can say is your knowledge tab is your friend. As it can say where to find/craft an item. The color of said item on your current world (not in text but by example). And it can tell you who buys and sells said item on your current world.
(If your to lazy at times to search the interwebs like me :grin: its a good first choice).

3 Likes

Hi there. Welcome to Boundless! I’m really new too. Only been playing a week. Early on I found a portal hub and I use that to get around. You definitely shouldn’t be afraid to use people’s portals as that’s what they’re there for.

I just wanted to tell you about the Knowledge tab because the game had me all sorts of confused but if you use that it tells you everything that’s craftable and what it takes to craft it. This game has been hard for me early on but thanks to meeting some lovely people, I’m finding my feet. Hope you enjoy the game!

4 Likes

Tigg’s for now is T1-4 only. Thanks for remembering them tho! <3

2 Likes