A few questions from a newbie

I had a few questions regarding my build, tools, and moving crafting machines.

1. When I first set foot on Solum, I immediately dug into the base of a mountain to start my first camp. From this point I decided to dig a tunnel through the mountain in order to save myself (and others) the hassle of climbing over it.

Is this frowned upon by the community? I’m pretty sure it’s not near anyone else’s build. I’ve done some exploring and haven’t seen any other tunnels going through a mountain which is why I’m asking.

1. I’ve gone through most of the beginning tutorial missions and built my crafting machines in a small area. Not realizing how much room they would take up. Can I disassemble them with my hammer and then place them elsewhere? Or will I have to craft new ones? I didn’t want to try it and end up losing what I’ve already built.

2. Stone, Copper or Iron hammers. Which is the best one for a starting player? Iron hits harder, the copper hits faster. The iron lasts longer but needs an extra fossil extract to create. Should I just use stone until I’m able to craft higher than iron? Didn’t want to waste resources while I’m just starting out.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

3 Likes
  1. The world will regenerate after around 12-13 hours if its not claimed, so if you didn’t claim it, itll go away.
  2. You can break them and replace them :slight_smile:
  3. I liked Iron the most when I was new, but others might have different opinions

Welcome to the Boundless Community! If you need anything, let me know!

3 Likes

I started the game with the intention of building and i went through soo many stone tools (mainly hammers) before I started properly using iron tools. My advice is to use stone to level up initially, improve your durability skill then invest in iron hammers, they are strong and more durable, copper gathers faster however they dont last long…iron tools are worth the extra effort.
welcome to boundless!

4 Likes

First of all, welcome to the game and thanks for picking Solum! It’ll be great to have a new neighbor around : ) As for your questions:

1 - As @Wormate pointed out after 12-13 hours any land that has been modified in a world will regenerate itself and become like-new if it remains untouched by players. So the mountain pass you made will go away unless you claim it with plot markers. As you explore Solum you’ll find plenty of tunnels made by players that go through, over and under mountains! This is true on all of the planets. It’s a first-come, first-served type of game, but the worlds are so huge that right now there is really no need to worry about encroaching on too much space!

2 - Yes, with very few exceptions (I think the campfire is the only one I can think of) any item you place you can essentially pick back up by breaking it with a hammer, shovel, etc. This includes flowers, blocks of stone, dirt, sand, etc., as well as, all crafted items. So don’t be afraid to try something and if you don’t like it…break it down! If you do this too many times in the same physical space the game will flash a warning about you not being rewarded XP for placing and rebreaking an item over and over (preventing a player from essentially leveling up without having to move).

3 - If you are short on resources, but want to use better tools you have a few options! First off, there are plenty of player shops around selling items. I know at my location, for instance, the items are geared towards newer players. Lower prices, entry level items (up to silver), etc. You could pick up that one fossil you need for a few Cs and make that iron tool. When I go mining I try and repay the tool cost while mining. So if I’m using an iron hammer I try to get at least 10 fossils and 10 pieces of iron while using it. This covers the cost of making a new hammer, plus, the cost of creating 4 other iron tools (axes, grapples, shovels, spanners, etc.). This is VERY easy to do.

Also, the quicker you get BULK and MASS production the faster you will save on item costs. For instance, iron tools cost 2 iron bars, 2 fossil extracts and 4 sticks per tool if you make 1 at a time. To bulk make 3 of them costs 10 sticks, 5 iron and 5 fossil extracts (a savings of 1 fossil and 1 iron (16%ish!). To Mass make 10 of them costs 29 sticks, 15 iron bars and 15 fossil extracts. A savings of 5 iron bars and 5 fossil extracts (25%!).

I hope this helps!

4 Likes

Don’t worry bout fossils you can get them from the daily hunts :slight_smile: always keep a spare tool and spanner of your choice incase your machines break or your starting from square one trying to make a spanner to fix your machines :wink: I went straight from stone to gem but my brother seems to like copper and iron alot. So its personal preferance. If you need a place to stay and learn come by the hidden lakes :slight_smile: its in berlyn but there is portals everywhere

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice and tips!! I did plot the tunnel so I’m ok on that front.

4 Likes