A fillet (Radius) Chisel

Forgive my non-programmer terminology. But after seeing the revolutionary lattice chisel it seems as if a chisel to fillet corners of a block should be possible. To me It appears the lattice chisel just uses smaller blocks in the mesh to make the shape. So with that process, it should be possible to simulate a rounded edge simply by using the smaller blocks. Not sure if my explanation makes senses to anyone else, but certainly clear as mud in my mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

2 Likes

Maybe share an image to help explain what you’re envisaging.

2 Likes

Messaged you directly. Thanks for the interest

A sphere chisel would also be awesome! But kinda weird.

2 Likes

As I’m hoping this is a possibility I guess I should elaborate on my idea instead keeping in private. Lots of creative and intelligent people here who may help make the idea possible. So the way I see this working for a square voxel block is to consider how you can make a large solid cube in Magika voxel. Then consider that cube to be one voxel made up of tiny blocks. If you were to use the subtract function with a circle it would remove the tiny blocks to simulate a rounded edge…the further away (or the smaller the blocks) you are the more realistic the rounded edge will look… that’s the thought I had anyways. Not sure how possible or realistic it is though. Anyone have other ideas for making this work??

2 Likes

Oh I see…make the sphere out of smaller cubes from within the block.

1 Like

Finally, I would be able to make anatomically correct oortian statues.

:smirk:

2 Likes

always wanted to add those ball…s?

3 Likes

Do you mean each individual block placed could be chiselled into a sphere? Or that the edges could be slightly curved so that you could create a multi block sphere?

Either way I love it haha, not sure how it would work though but I’m not gonna hurt my brain trying to figure it out :laughing:

Big, firm, looming…

Eyes!

1 Like

ah, right…

poppedouteyes

1 Like

I guess I can see 2 ways to do it. My idea has to do with removing the tiny blocks within the voxel with a predetermined shape. Really similar to what we have but on a more micro block level. However thinking further on it. It we could have a chisel that could remove the tiny blocks with a single voxel block. (Works on a smaller grid/mesh size) we could literally simulate any shape we want. Again I’m no programmer… just a dreamer! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think he’s describing being able to set a sphere center point and radius kind of how you make circles in photoshop or illustrator, and then going ham on a blocky looking sphere until it looks perfectly smooth. I think this would be very cool, but it would require a lot more data to be stored for every single block.

1 Like

Yup exactly. But more along the lines of subtracting the sphere from the blocks edges or corners so you can make a larger rounded shape to place against other blocks… i’m a 3D CAD guy… so I think in terms of offsetting the radius of circle or sphere to add or remove mass from objects.

Not sure the game could handle the poly count. It would be like having a whole plot worth of blocks inside one block.

Basically the advantage of a voxel game is it works in pixels, disallowing complex things. Cad works in vector-like notation using coordinate geometry. I don’t think it would work for this use case, sadly.

That said, they could introduce some rounded chiseling. Rounded spheres and half spheres perhaps.

1 Like

So would removing those pixels from a single voxel block increase data, even if it was a fixed shape??

The game doesn’t store things the same way a cad program does unfortunately. At least from my understanding of things.

A fixed shape could work with a limited set of possibilities - single cube spheres, spheres made from 8 cubes, spheres made from 27 cubes etc. Basically the game works like legos, where for a given cube in game, it stores which LEGO it is, how it is rotated and what color it is.

That would be promising. Still opens the possibility of some new shapes finger crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes