A Mock Player's Guide to Oort: Complete Edition, or A Field Guide to Oorta by the Scholar Majiel

Forward

Hello there! I am Umajianu, a player of Oort Online and a hopeful of what this game can achieve. As a personal hobby, I have been ruminating on what I perceive as the ideal vision for Oort Online, and as such have made this mock Player’s Guide to show what I would describe as the ideal immersive game. I draw inspiration from many sources:
*Posters on these forums (Most notably Zouls, Rukio, Havok40k, Grimoire, Thorbjorn, Ardos, and Master Chill),
*MMOs like TSW, ESO, GW1&2, dare I say WoW,
*Independent games such as the Witcher and Elder Scrolls,
*Detailed mods for Minecraft like Thaumcraft, Botania, and Tinker’s Construct,
*Works of literature such as the Kingkiller Chronicle, LotR, Ready Player One, and the Lightbringer series.
*Works of high fantasy tabletop gaming like Pathfinder, D&D, and Numenera.
*Works of anime such as .hack, SAO, and FMA.

(Long list, but credit is due where credit is due.)

That being said, this is a guide that creates a unique vision on the fantasy/sci-fi setting and only takes concepts from the above inspirations, no carbon copies. (I hope!) I have tried to be as balanced as possible with the items, races, and magics, but I do know these are topics that will always be fiercely debated amongst players and perhaps another arrangement would make more players content.

However, if even a tiny fraction of the contents below are actually applied to the game, I would be honored.

[[[DISCLAIMER:: The concepts presented in this guide are idealized and intended for a v1.0+++++ and sometimes +^infinity edition of the game! Please keep this in mind!]]]

Without further ado, please read what you will and let me know what you think, and apologies for the length!

A Player’s Guide==========================================

1 - Beginnings

2 - Worlds and Their Peoples
+++The Peoples
+++The Unknowns
+++The Skills and Trades
+++The Environs
+++The Worlds

3 - Making Your Way
+++ Creating a character
/////Race
/////Attributes
+++Skills and Trades
/////Leveling Skills and Trades
/////Resting
+++Venturing
/////The HUD
/////Controls
/////Maps and You
/////Inventory
/////Storage
/////Equipment
/////Combat
/////Conditions
+++Making a Claim
/////Building
/////Mining and Gathering
+++Why buy when you can Craft?
/////Recipes Galore
/////Using Raw Materials
/////Repairing
/////Deconstructing
+++Beacons
+++Portals and Warps
+++Runestones
+++When the boots just won’t cut it
/////Boats
/////Gliders
/////Wings
+++In the Event of Death

4 - The Wise Merchant
+++Weapons of the Worlds
+++Armors of the Worlds
+++Tools of the Worlds
+++Baubles and the like
+++Consumables
+++Furnishings
+++Raw Materials

5 - Magical Wonders
+++Runes
+++Gems
+++Seedforging
+++Brewing

6 - Companionship
+++Herd Animals
+++Pets and Taming
+++Breeding
+++Mount Storage

6 Likes

========================================= ===============Beginnings================ =========================================

Hello, dear Reader! It seems you may have stumbled upon my journal, which means I have either met a rather untimely death or I have left it behind for an intrepid adventurer such as youself. In any case, I hope this journal helps you survive the vast and wondrous universe you have now found yourself in!

As for me? Well, I am known as Majiel, but you may call me the Traveller.

Now that we have the introductions set aside, you might be asking just where you are? Well, this is the Oorta, of course! If you don’t know what that is, well, have I got some news for you.

Oorta is what is known by the most learned of scholars as an oort cloud, a wide sphere of a number of different astronomical arrangements, none the least of which the planet that you now find yourself on!

There are many, many worlds in Oorta that cover an astounding array of extemes, and in, on, and above them are many, many more different forms of life. You, dear reader, are one of them.
“But wait!” You might ask, “Other worlds? Other forms of life? How could you know these things, Traveller?” And I will tell you: Portals.

Portals are the doors to infinite possibility in Oorta, connecting us all from star to star and planet to planet. You might find them in your travels, windows into an entirely different realms you find yourself in. Why, one moment you might be in a desert, but step through a portal and WOOSH, suddenly you’re in tundra!

Without the portals we would be limited in our exploration of distant stars and even more so in our experiences with other forms of life. Indeed, so much of life is dependent on the portals I shudder to think how small the universe would become without them, or lonely.

I digress. So, who put these wonderful constructs in place, you may be wondering?

Well, many millennia ago, or at least longer than historians have found the time to remember, the stars were populated by a fantastical race known as the Oortians, called by their ancenstral home’s namesake. Their empires stretched as far as the skies themselves, their presence known on every planet that circles every star in the night sky.

The Oortian people were no strangers to advancement, none the least of which magicks of the most enigmatic variety. Using stones they long ago infused with magical energies, they could forge portals that would take you across oceans, deserts, and even across the darkness of night to see the sun rise on a new, alien planet.

However, like many an ancient empire, they long ago vanished, leaving no answers to where they went, or even why.

They did leave many wonders for us, though: Sprawling cities of the most brilliant architecture, vaults that hold treasures that defy explanation, and perhaps most exciting of all- Language!

The many peoples of Oorta share at least one thing in common, and that is the fact that nearly all races developed languages based on Oortian relics and manuscripts. As such, when the many races came together, understanding what each was speaking was not a far stretch.

Of their cities I can only describe them as brilliant feats of architecture: masterfully carved towers and keeps, elaborate halls and very roomy bedchambers, too! Indeed, an Oortian sprawl is beauty made into city, fitting perfectly with the terrain it is built into, almost as if a part that was always there.

If their cities are beauty incarnate, their vaults are security made material. Few people are ever brave enough to venture into a vault and fewer still survive the encounter, as the Oortian vaults are riddled with traps, wards, and the fiercest of the Protectors. Those who survive and claim a vault often become wealthy beyond imagination, as the vaults are often lined with rare materials and artifacts left behind by the Oortians, both magical and of craftsmanship beyond compare.

Vaults are not the only place you’ll find the Protectors, though. Be careful, oh adventurer, for the Protectors, while epics of majesty, are just as epicly dangerous!

Being that their cities bespeak of beauty and their vaults of security, the Protectors are the embodiment of the Oortians’ power. Coming in all sizes from the scope of an insect to the mountain-shaking Titans, the Protectors view all forms of somewhat intelligent life as a threat, and will kill you on sight! It is a fool who would try to reason with them, as they listen not to any plea or begging you might bring before them. Best to fight or simply flee!

I digress, I am sure an adventure such as you will be wise enough to know the dangers of an expedition in Protector territory. Yes, just like you, there are many adventurers in the realm of Oorta. In the homelands there are cities of the people who have inherited the old worlds, going about life full of wonder and seeking answers among the ruins of those that came before.

Alas, you will not see the cities or homes of your people here, oh Traveller, for these are the wild lands; Home of the Protectors and the halls of the Oortians!

Thus, I charge you, dear reader. Walk the old roads, forge new ones, and leave no stone unturned! (Or at least pass this journal onto someone who will.) The wonders of Oorta are but an adventure from your grasp!

1 Like

========================================= =========The Worlds and Their Peoples======= =========================================

-----------------------------------------------------------The Peoples------------------------------------------------------------

The peoples of Oorta are as varying as the stars and planets they reside upon. I have done my best to catalogue the great races of Oorta such that you might always know who you might be speaking with. Wouldn’t want to upset a tribe with what you think of as an everyday custom, would you?

Of course, as you may have already noticed in your own society, all the races have three variants of their people represented by their height, all capable of different abilities and wonders. In addition, it would appear that for the most part we are all bipedal. Whether a happenstance of nature or a guided hand in our creation by the Oortians, we may never know.

The races of Oorta (that are known, anyway) are as follows:

Faidhe
Maghina
Canis
Lunin
Mystian
Aquos
Skal
Aeriba

These eight peoples comprise all of know society in Oorta, sometimes living in cities of only their kind, and other times the races come together in grand metropolises and venturing outposts. In your travels you are sure to meet at least one of the members of these vast peoples, if only in passing.

Each race has it’s own facets, or subraces if you will, that are as diverse as any one being can be. I have tried my best to summarize all these forms of life below:

The Faidhe People

The Faidhe are a timeless race, long lived and full of joy. The youngest of them are often older than the eldest of other races as their children come few and far between. It is of an intriguing note, however, that they are the youngest race to witness Oorta, it is only their longevity that produces the illusion that they have been amongst the stars longer than any of us.

Naturally mistrusting of most outside people, the Faidhe form friendships and eventual alliances slowly and with great hesitation. Swindle a Faidhe once, and you’ve made an enemy for life! Once you are accepted, however, a Faidhe often considers and treats you as family. Additionally, manners are of the utmost importance to Faidhe society, and you will not make any friends if you present a rude face or tone to them. Watch out for their seasonal festivities, though, as all manners are lost and the Faidhe people behave as merry fools! Any dignitary hoping to get work done with the Faidhe people at this time would do better to make peace with a Protector who caught them in an Oortian vault!

The Faidhe largely inhabit the icy worlds of Oorta, making beautifully carved structures of magically infused, never-melting ice. They are a serene people as a whole, calm as the snow that rests in their kingdoms, but are known to be as fiery as a molten elemental when their lands are disturbed.

In appearance, they are sharp of features as if they were chiseled from ice or stone. Their eyes are large and oval, and shine like light through fogged quartz to wintry greens. Of skin they take all shades white as frost to dark as char. Hairless but for their heads, they work in their hair elaborate braids and adorn the strands with bells and gems. Only the males grow facial hair, which comprises of thick hair that grows on their sideburns that they often put into pointy braids adorned with nuts, seeds, flowers, and tiny stones. Only the oldest of their kind have long, bushy beards that bespeak an elder.

All Faidhe, as a whole, have a natural affinity to surviving in the cold, taking no penalty to the pangs of hunger that the winter chill often strikes with, nor the slowness it often induces. Additionally, they move through the snow remarkably fast and can regain balance on ice in a flash, never sliding even a hair away from where they intended. The darkness of the wintry worlds has made the Faidhe at home in dim light, and all Faidhe share a proficiency for seeing as well in the dark as they do in the day. Of craft the Faidhe excel in shaping their enchanted ice into all manners of objects that often ring harder than metal. The Faidhe often work as miners and artisans, excelling in both fields with their natural grace.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Alf, Dverger, Gnok.

The Maghina People------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Maghina are an amalgamation of beings that exist from life flowing into the normally inert and dormant materials of Oorta. Perhaps the oldest of all known races, the Maghina are seemingly immortal and have witnessed every other race come into being. It should be mentioned, however, that they are likely not old enough to know the Oortian people, but even if they are they seem to have forgotten such a time. Their view on life often reflects this aspect of their being, and decisions made by the construct people as a whole are made slowly, and change even more so, but when they begin something it is nearly impossible to stop their progression.

While they view the other peoples as children compared to their own people, they also view all other races as somewhat wasteful, making things far too extravagant for their own good. For this they are often found to be rude, if not brutally honest. It should be noted, though, that they are not beyond listening to the other races and often receive just as much counsel as they provide.

The Maghina make structures in line with the nature around them, often creating very simple, short structures, often in the form of cubes, rectangular and triangular prisms, as well as pyramidal constructs upon which the natural flore of the region is then allowed to take over, creating unique crystalline and living matter constructions. In more advanced Maghina cities, more complicated shape permutations may be seen and the cities as a whole will begin to look like one elaborate mineral and plant formation that grew together.

Perhaps the most diverse in appearance among all races, the Maghina can have flesh of what appears to be bark or a living stone, with a variety of tones and textures upon their flesh ranging from lichen or vines to mushroom pockets. Of head the Maghina can have what appears to be grasses or leaves sprouting from their heads, but another Maghina may have jutting crystalline clusters of faint glowing hues, while still another will have what appears to be a mushroom cap in place of hair. Ultimately they can have a combination of all three varieties upon their heads. Their eyes are often thin slits in otherwise flat mask-like faces that glow with primal energy in the colour befitting their mood. They are asexual and as such plant chips of themselves that they each produce to create new Maghina, however two Maghina can fuse their shards to create another that is the fusion of the two in a process largely unknown to outsiders.

The Maghina are hardly ever impaired by the terrain, and can thus walk without pause through quicksand, shallow water, or any other detriment but snow. Being derivative of the nature around them, they also regenerate at a rapid rate when in the vicinity of any other living thing, drawing magical essence from the life around them. Likewise, they are immune to all natural poisons from plants and animals. The Maghina are not known to craft with any particular materials but are more well renowned for their ability to cross breed plants and animals, often meeting with more success than any other race. The Maghina often work in herbalism and farming, being some of the finest cultivators in Oorta.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Vood, Gol, Mycel.

The Canis People----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hailing from all corners of Oorta’s trade routes, the Canis are a nomadic people, never finding a home in one place and always itching to explore another. Life among the Canis has a fierce emphasis on military tradition as a whole, and often many generations will follow the role of a soldier or tactician. In an entirely separate vein the Canis also place a great amount of respect in their mercantile trade, and shrewd negotiators and merchants are famous among their kind.

The Canis are a fiercely territorial race of what they do call their own, being known to quarrel with any who would take their tribal roaming lands and defend their possessions and wards at any cost. This aggression is but what appears when you get on their bad side, though. As a whole, the Canis are a very loyal people, and an ally you make among the Canis represents an ally you will have for life. Decisions among the Canis are made by the tribal chieftains and their directions are often carried out somewhat religiously. If there is an ultimate downfall to the Canis, it is their stubbornness, as they are absolutely unmoving in their directions and ideals and downright devastating to those that trespass against them. However, the Canis are a just people as a whole and treat all races with fairness whenever possible.

The Canis are a nomadic people and as such create their dwellings out of cloth and hide, each easily collapsible such that it can be loaded on a caravan to move with the tribe at a moment’s notice. Often times these tents of various sizes will connect and stretch as far as the horizon, creating a vast, wavy sea of coloured clothes and hides.

In appearance they have short to shaggy fur that can take many colours and hues among the tans, blacks, whites, and greys. Of face they can look quite lupine, ursine, or herpestine. Their eyes, of shape similar to common unsentient hounds, are often shades of green or blue, though red is known to occur from time to time. Also of note is the long haired tail that nearly all Canis share. Of head they often keep shaggy manes or mohawks.

Canis have a natural propensity for sneaking, and can move faster while hidden than any other race. Additionally, they have a tendency to be easily missed by an approaching attack due to their natural nimbleness. All Canis can run for what seems like an eternity and never tire in the slightest, which makes them ideal envoys among many cities that they find their homes in, as well. In darker circles they are often hired as thieves and even assassins. Regardless, the Canis are often found to profess the work of a hunter or armorsmith, crafting well in this with all manners of materials, especially hide.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Lugaru, Ursa, Honeb.

The Lunin People----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If ever there was a proud race of beings, the Lunan people would claim the title. Dynastic in political structure, the Lunan view any service to their realm of the highest honor, going even so far as offering their lives for the good of the realm, if need be. Beyond their pride the Lunan are a very wise race, however, and are often sought after for their counsel on nearly any matter. The Lunin are a race that observes grace and uniqueness as the highest form of art imaginable. To the Lunin, it is not enough to simply do a thing, the thing must be done beautifully. Needless to say, this makes Lunin diplomats of no small amount of tact, and brilliant, if not extravagant, warriors and mages.

They find all other races as lacking in aptitude and fairly sloppy, but will never say such directly. If there is one thing the Lunin people love to gather between themselves and other races, it is secrets. In negotiation, the Lunin are sly and somewhat elusive, never providing a clear motive until what they want is undeniable to turn down. For these reason, other races often hold their tongue around them and try to avoid direct negotiations whenever possible.

The Lunin build elegant, sloping structures that to the distant eye easily blend in with the dunes of the desert the Lunin often call their homes. Among their kin they serve as scholars and artisans, but some have been known to turn to the more combative aspects of magic or to even take up the sword, and each building they construct serves a sole purpose for each of these callings. Their cities will often have elaborate bath houses and springs that feed beautiful desert gardens the Lunin often debate and lounge in.

The appearance of the Lunin people is a mixture of feline, vulpine, and leporine characteristics. Each Lunin has a distinctive, if miniscule feature that separates them from the rest of their kind. In general, the Feli are lean and have either an exaggerated concave or convex back posture. They have keen and narrow eyes that shine with a light luminosity in hues of blues, greens, and yellows. Of head they keep short fur in line with the rest of their body, but will occasionally grow braids or manes as a symbol of position or personal status. Additionally, all Lunin have a flexible and long, short haired tail that may have a longer tuft of hair at the end which they often wrap around their waist.

The Lunin are naturally attuned to warm climes and as such need less to no water to stave off the pangs of thirst and hunger in the deserts. Walking lithely and with purpose, the Lunin are experts at moving among the sands, and as such are never hindered in passing through the desert. In addition, the Lunin step lightly wherever they go and are less likely to set off a trap or be hurt by hot ground. Of craft, the Lunan work exquisite glass constructions, some even being harder than infused iron! The Lunin make fine jewellers and sharp scholars, professing these skills often as a living.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Feli, Fen, Wutu.

The Mystian People-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walk among the mountains and their surrounding forests and you may hear the sounds of the Mystian people. Shy and cautious, the Mystian do not trust a single thing in this world they have not known for many a moon cycle. Become a part of their everyday life and you will encounter a fascinating people, rich in family tradition and full of joy. The Mystian are never known to choose violence and will do everything in their power to avoid it if possible, but will be absolutely ruthless if need be.

The Mystian try to avoid all outsiders, but will work with the other races if it serves the common betterment. For their shyness the Mystian are often viewed as a childish race, but being among them quickly proves otherwise. The Mystian are quick learners and will often send a pilgrimage of their young to learn the achievements of those who exist outside their hidden vistas such that they bring back the knowledge and expand upon it. Mystian negotiators and merchants as a whole always treat fairly and will rarely try to haggle, even going so far as to give personal items as charity if there is someone in need. Unfortunately, this is often taken advantage of and only increases the Mystian’s distrust of the outside world.

Their structures are built into the mountainsides and cliff faces in sleek structures that often get missed even when within a few tree spans of the surrounding terrain. For this reason many Mystian tribes go unnoticed, and they would have it no other way. The structures are often set with slopes and domes where they extend beyond the mountain base or cliffs and are often very spacious and frugal in their arrangement.

By appearance the Mystian people display bovine, hircine, and rusine characteristics. Their heads will often be adorned with horns of various shapes and sizes, males having larger horns than the females; also feathers and ribbons will often be hung from them as decoration. All Mystians are of cloven hoof, and nearly all of them have tails with long hair tufts at the end. The rest of their bodies are often covered in a short fur, but longer fur has been known to be grown in colder climes. Of eye they can take hues of robust browns and deep blacks, though reds and the occasional yellows have been known to occur.

Life on the mountainsides and cliff faces have allows the Mystians to be adept at falling, and as such are rarely, if ever, injured by dropping a great distance. Additionally, the Mystians can often make their way up steep climbs as simply as one might walk across a plain, making Mystian mines and cliff forts incredibly treacherous places to reach to those not of their race. The Mystians craft intricate stone items, and are said to be near unbreakable when crafted correctly. For these reasons the Mystians make proficient miners and toolsmiths that surpass many in an age.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Taur, Saty, Cervi.

The Aquos People---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be wary of where your seafaring vessels may tarry, as the Aquos are fiercely territorial of the waters they mark as their own- many a merchant vessel has been lost and all its wares taken under the authority of an Aquos tribe that lay claim to that region. If there is a word to describe the Aquos people, however, it is that they are logical. Being devoid of emotion, they run their society entirely by what they decide is the next logical step, even if that logic can be somewhat flawed.

For these reasons negotiations with the Aquos are often tense and difficult, as they can be somewhat stubborn towards what they feel is the most efficient way to do a certain task. Additionally, working with the Aquos to fix a hostile situation is often an arduous process, as great debate must occur to reason out both sides of the argument in entirely logical parameters. You’d be surprised how much is done in a society just because many feel it is right! Unfortunately, many races tend to misinterpret the Aquos, who can be quite enlightening on many subjects because of their unique perspective.

Structures among the Aquos are not built, but rather grown. Large coral deposits and fields will often be enriched with magic to grow large enough to house many rooms and fields, upon which are grown many sorts of aquatic crops and from which are bred many aquatic species. Getting to an Aquos settlement is often an enlightening process, as they prefer to grow their homes in the deep underwater canyons and caverns of Oorta.

The Aquos are rather intimidating in appearance, having pale flesh tones that shine with a slick glimmer. In facial structure they have a small beak hidden behind a collection of tentacles that aide their consumption by either bringing food to the beak or constricting a still living prey. The backs of their heads are often elongated and can end in a point or a smooth oval. Distinguishing male from female in their race is often incredibly difficult, and this is because the Aquos are only one gender for a given time, cycling through both roles many times in their lifespan. In eye they often take hues of black or deep blues and shades of purple. The appendages of all the Aquos are webbed, and this greatly increases their swimming speed.

Living most of their lives in the water, the Aquos can breathe underwater as well as they do on the surface. Additionally, they are adept swimmers and can move twice as fast as any other race in the waters of Oorta. This ability often leads to a common pastime of the Aquos: current racing. The Aquos are genius at working coral and as such can craft exquisite items from them that resonate with magic among the depths. Their abilities make them proficient hunters and their mindset brilliant scholars.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Cthun, Dago, Gaeri.

The Skal People------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Venture deep into the bowels of a world and you may come to find yourself among a Skal tribe. Nestled deep in the caverns of Oorta, the Skal live a stout, if voracious, lifestyle. Valuing wealth among all else, many a Skal tribe will sit on a horde of riches or collection of knowledge that they share only with their kin. Skal award great acts of valor and often have their society run by whomever among them has achieved the most feats.

Treating with the Skal can be taxing as they will only converse with someone they feel is on an equal standing with them. However, once this understanding has occurred, the Skal are often very generous with their terms, seeing the diplomat as one of their own. It must be noted that if you are not well regarded you will be dismissed as a mere nuisance and any action you take beyond what they feel you’ve earned may be punished severely.

The Skal craft impressive subterranean caverns, filled with rows of delicately carved and embossed pillars. They often mine out very elaborate rooms, and even their bedchambers can rival those of the Oortians. Most impressively of all is the vaults they build, influenced by the Oortian vaults and their own Skal innovations.

Skal are reptilian in appearance, and are often covered in scales for the entire length of their body. These scales can take a wide variety of metallic tones and often gleam with a flourish. Also, it is a popular tradition among the Skal to paint among the scales to make different tattoos that denote great deeds or personal wealth. Their eyes are likewise reptilian and take a variety of colours in the yellows, reds, and sometimes greens. The back of a Skal’s head is often decorated with bony spikes that can curve like a great crest about their head. Also of note is the often thick and scaled tail that can end in a variety of spikes or fins.

The Skal are accustomed to the oppressive heats of the deep caverns, and have even built up a tolerance to swimming in lava without a moment of discomfort. Additionally, life in the depths of Oorta’s worlds has led to the Skal being able to see in the dark as well as they do on the surface. The Skal are master metal workers, and can craft dazzling works with their skills. Thus, the Skal are often renowned for their armor and weaponsmithing.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Drac, Nin, Tsatho.

The Aerbia People---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Among all the races, none has the natural ability of the Aerbia: flight. However, you will never find a people more grounded. Among the Aerbia, each day is a splendid opportunity and every night a cause for celebration. They respect their elders among all others, and as such the eldest of their kind carry the most weight in making the decisions for a tribe.

Dealing with the Aerbia is often long and drawn out, but never for debating reasons. Rather, any guest among the Aerbia is treated to feasts and entertainment for extended periods of time before any negotiations are ever done. However, be wary, as this can sometimes be used as a ploy to make the guest more amenable to an Aerbia’s demands and propositions. Worry not, though, as the Aerbia are in general quite fair in all things.

The Aerbia make their homes in the places where other races cannot access easily without the Aerbia’s gift of flight. Building atop steep plateaus and the tops of mountains, the Aerbia craft tall, elongated spires fitted with aeries and roosts. Along the floor of these spires the Aerbia plant a variety of crops and keep small herds of animals.

The appearance of the Aerbia can be slightly off-putting to some. In facial structure they look like that of a bat, with large and flanged ears and short snouts. However, of eye they are rather insectoid, being a shallow bulb of reflective facets not unlike a moth. The rest of their body is covered in a fine coat of down feathers that can carry many colors and patterns, but around the neck a collar of thicker feathers sprout. Their feet end in long claws and their wings are covered in thick feathers that spread out like a common bird of prey.

Aerbia are capable, of course, of flight due to their wings, and can reach even the clouds. Additionally, they are keen hunters, being able to see even those beings who try to hide themselves with excessive stealth. Due to these abilities, the Aerbia are proficient hunters and warriors. In craft the Aerbia specialize in weaving grasses and the like into light, but sturdy items.

They differentiate their type by height and natural ability with the following titles, from tallest to shortest: Flaq, Vair, Locharn

------------------------------------------------------------The Unknown---------------------------------------------------------

There are, of course, two races that impact the worlds of Oorta but are never readily apparent. I have done my best to catalogue what is known of them here. Note that this is a woefully incomplete account, and the claims made may be entirely different than the reality of what is and what was.

Without further ado I address to you the mysterious races of Oorta: the Oortians and the Grey.

The Oortian People--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of all the peoples to walk the worlds of Oortia, none were more widespread than the Oortians. It is widely believed that they are the original portal makers and even more so the founders of the magic we see every day. Society among the Oortians seemed to have been divided by castes that all had equal sway in the ultimate path of the Oortian people.

These castes were each tied to a certain conceptual element, and thus made four divisions: the earth, air, water, and fire castes. The earth caste built the vaults of yore, and the mines of the Oortian people, making thick and sturdy structures. The air caste were the scholars of the Oortians, masters of innovation and design. Their structures are the most widely varied of all the Oortians, as they played with architecture and structure more than any other caste in the pursuit of finding the ideal construct. The water caste were the explorers of the Oortians, and often made many of the ruined vessels that can be found littered in Oorta. Theirs was the purpose to find new worlds suitable for their race. Lastly the fire caste were the forgers and warriors of the Oortians, making many unique and inspiring tools, weapons, and armors that exist as pristine today as the day they were forged. It was perhaps the fire caste that originally made the protectors, guards without tire or need of hunger to protect and guard the Oortian people and their creations.

The castes each had three representatives of a council that met to decide the fates of all Oortians and they were moderated by a fifth caste: the blank element, said to embody the spirit of the Oortian people. Little is known about the fifth caste beyond the fact that they cut all ties to the other castes they may have come from and were quite often devoid of the ability to use magic.

Ah yes, magic. Perhaps the finest of the Oortian’s achievements, the ability to harness natural energies into usable forms has allowed for a variety of creations that would otherwise be impossible to make, let alone comprehend. If not the originators of magic, the Oortians at least saturated all the worlds they visited with this mutable essence such that trace amounts can be found anywhere, even in a mound of dirt! It is theorized that it is this essence which keeps objects floating if they are willed to be so, the natural energies inherent in an objects identifying the will of the placer to remain aloft and immobile. Perhaps this also explains the naturally floating islands that some worlds produce, though what willed them to float is beyond the reach of any known historian or scholar.

Alas, none can ask the Oortians of all they did in Oorta as they are all completely vanished, and not a trace to be found where they went. Perhaps an intrepid adventurer like yourself might find an answer, someday!

In appearance the Oortians also had the variant heights all of the known races inherited, and the titles given to each are entirely lost to us. It is assumed that the Oortians had a variety of traits, however, almost as if they adapted to the worlds they visited directly. For this reason, there is much debate about what a base Oortian may have looked like, as no defining monument or structure has proved older than the others to get a base point.

Also of wonder is whether the Oortians had a hand in shaping the known races. Alas, we may never know. What we do know is that their technologies and achievements still live with us. Perhaps regrettably, so do their failures.

The Grey----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little is known about just what the Grey are, or even if they are a they and not just a presence or happening. What is known is that magic does not work in a Grey-touched land. This presence does not seem immediately hostile, but perhaps that is the most dangerous aspect of it.

The Grey build no structures, they merely produce an aura of nothingness. Those who walk in Grey-touched lands will notice their namesake: all the land is devoid of color and hue is represented solely by greyscale. Even the atmosphere changes, taking the neutral tones of grey. Perhaps most damaging of all is what this does to the life in the area. Animals become lethargic and starve without worry, similarly with the races of Oortia if they spend too long in a Grey touched land. In the Grey, wounds do not heal and energy does not return. Even moving through the Grey seems slow and arduous.

The Grey spreads through the life it infects, and any being carrying a sufficient amount of Grey essence has a chance to warp the uninfected land around it to the Grey. The only known way to stop the presence is to use a sufficient amount of magic within the region affected, and in small concentrations the area can be cleansed quickly. However, for obvious reasons, the Grey is often never noticed until it has spread unnaturally far.

There are the occasional rumors that creatures that defy sense and order can sometimes be found in the Grey, but these reports are few and far between. Still, it never hurts to keep an open eye.

Of the origin of the Grey, we know only what came from a translated Oortian tablet: that the Oortians made this blight when they tried to betray the equivalent exchange law of magic and draw energy from nothing. Hopefully one day we can repair our ancestors’ oversight.

The Lost----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travel among the worlds of Oorta and you will see many tantalizing and endearing structures and visages that do not seem to have their inspiration drawn from any of the known races or the Oortians’ structures. Who made these monuments and why is a large debate among scholars:

Were the Oortians the only great race to wander the stars? Are these constructions by lost explorers like us among the stars? A ponderous query I doubt I will have found a solution to in my lifetime. Maybe in yours it shall be, dear reader.

-----------------------------------------------------The Skills and Trades------------------------------------------------------
The work of the peoples of Oorta are as varied as the peoples themselves. Many activities occur among the worlds that affect nearly all aspects of life, I have done my best to catalogue and briefly describe them. The main fields are as follows:

Arcanism
Combatist
Druidism
Elementalism
Harvesting
Hunting
Smithing
Survivalism

Arcanism---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanism is the scholar’s art, covering a variety of topics like alchemy, scribing, and enchanting, just to name a few! I have elucidated more details on each facet of this art below:

The art of making one thing into quite another, this is the way of Alchemy, dear reader. Nearly all alchemists seek one thing: a Philosopher’s Stone, a concept or object (scholars debate heavily on this topic) that allows for the pure conversion of any one material into another. We call this process of crafting one object into quite another transmutation. Normally, an alchemist would have to mix a medley of reagents and catalysts to transmute an item, but with a Philosopher’s Stone, they need only will the conversion and it takes place!

Now, the Philosopher’s Stone may be thrilling and all, but the pursuit of an object does not fill an empty stomach (trust me, I have tried) nor bring great wealth! Many alchemists instead resort to brewing, a kind of sub profession of Alchemy. Brewing calls upon the inherent qualities lying dormant in all things and concentrates them into a digestible form that has a range of consistencies from spring water to a thick syrup. These brews can either be beneficial to the consumer as a salve or drink, or be malignant to downright deadly as a poison. The possibilities really can be endless, and so an Alchemist can be called upon for a great number of things in the worlds of Oorta. The next facet we shall observe is scholarship:

Scholars are the great advancers of an age, remembering the feats of yore and innovating the ideas of today. However, the scholarly life is not for everyone, as a great deal of it ensures that you will be hunched over a book or tablet for perhaps days at a time. This has lead to two varieties of Scholars: Scribes and Archivists. The Scribe is the historian of an age, being able to flawlessly recount recipes, events, and other more esoteric knowledge at a whim. These Scribes make it a point to share knowledge with others, and they find no higher calling than that of teaching.

The other type of Scholar is the Archivist, these few who can decrypt Oortian texts and tablets and identify the secrets lain betwixt the symbols. The most skilled of Archivists can ascertain multiple forms of information from a single line, and become experts of a topic if they can obtain a single tome! The next facet we shall observe is gemcutting:

Experts in understanding the raw power of gems and knowing the innate properties of even the most small of materials, the Jewelcrafter is able to make items that can further any profession’s abilities than such a patron could had they used just their raw talent. Two varieties of Jewelcrafters exist: the Gemcutter and the Jeweler. Gemcutters are the artisans of gems that excel in bringing out the most hidden of traits in a given stone. These stones can then be applied to a variety of items to create a variety of magical effects. Lastly, we shall cover the topic of the Enchanters:

Another means of harnessing the magic of Oorta is known as Enchanting. Within this category there are two subsets: Runeforging and Spellforging. The first of these, Runeforging, is the art of enchanting a resonating stone with an arcane rune or perhaps multiple runes. Through an application of magical will, these runes tune with the magical essences in the environment around them and empower the effects inscribed. A skilled Runeforger is capable of making more efficient runes and runestones with many uses an apprentice could never even dream of.

Also in the vein of Enchanting is the art of Spellforging. It is through this art that mages make their instruments, be they focis of elemental will or strings that enable a lute to harmonize with a Bard’s voice. Thus, an Enchanter is a widely sought after position among mage troupes and academies, never worrying for lack of work!

The last variant are the Wallmakers, those builders who identify the thaumaturgic similarity to a shield and city walls and are able to form a magical link between the two. Thus, a Wallmaker can fuse a shield into a section of wall and have said wall take on any property the shield had. Master Wallmakers can use a single shield to cover enormous lengths of work. It should be noted, however, that any damage that is done to the wall is also inflicted upon the shield, and once it breaks the wall loses all magical properties.

Combatist--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Combatist is the fighter of Oorta, being skilled with a variety of weapons and styles to improve their survival chances in the wilds. They make use of blade, axe, hammer, and more to deal damage. First we shall cover Bladeworkers:

The most common tool of an adventurer is a blade, and it is a rare sight to see a venturer without one. Blades are not merely used for killing, however! Blades have a variety of uses in the worlds of Oorta, but are mainly summarized by Blade Finesse. This is the common art of using a blade as a weapon, performing attacks with speed and precision that appear as but blurs to the novice Bladeworker.

There are some, though, that use the axe as a weapon of combat, seeing the same techniques that can slay a tree be equally as effective as slaying a knee! Be wary of any enemy with an axe, oh traveller, their bites hit deep!

More intriguing are the Iron-Handers, who are able to channel their essence into raw, powerful unarmed attacks, toughened from mining ore and stone. Woe to the traveler who challenges an Iron-Hander to a brawl!

However, it is a wise adventurer who carries some form of defense with them, and this often takes the form of a shield. Whether forming a wall of shields or standing alone, your survival will be greatly improved with a shield upon your arm. This is your average use of the shield, to protect yourself and others around you. The most skilled Shield users can respond with lightning reflexes and shove off nearly any attack.

Lastly we have a different type of combatist: The Archer.

The sharp whistle of a soaring arrow and the deep hum of a bowstring are arts in and of themselves. However, many denizens of Oorta use archery not for the pleasure of it’s tones but for it’s ability. Archery plays into two styles, Ranging and Grappling. Ranging is, of course, the practice of using ranged weapons for a variety of uses, be they to strike an enemy from afar to tripping a switch or pressure plate to avoid a nearby trap.

Grappling, however, is a fairly new skill many Archers have taken up, and they would be woefully incomplete with one of this age’s latest inventions, the grappling hook. Adepts of grappling are capable of reaching astonishing distances and are capable of dazzling feats with the grappling hook, making it an invaluable adventuring tool. Another helpful practice of the hook is the ability to pull objects, and even creatures, toward you if you so willed it. Fascinating!

Druidism----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ways of Druidism define the art of growing the worlds of Oorta and embracing the life therein. There are two aspects, Breeding that deals with fauna and Botany which deals with flora.

The Botanist is largely experimental, and through a variety of means devises new ways to cross breed plants for certain traits. This makes Botanist a very close worker with many Arcanists. The most skilled of their kind can simply pick and choose the traits they desire out of two plants, leaving nothing to chance.

If the Botanist is a master of flora, then the Breeder is a master of fauna. There are nearly as many types of organisms as there are stars to see in the nighttime sky, and the Breeder can tame nearly all of them. The most successful breeder radiate an aura of nature that makes even hostile creatures behave docily around them.

Like the Botanist, the Breeder also has an aptitude for cross-breeding, being able to create broods of unique fauna that we call Chimera that can perform a variety of tasks. However, these Chimera are often infertile. Legend has it, though, that the most skilled Breeders have been known to be able to produce perfect Chimeras fully capable of reproduction. Alas, some Breeders become so caught up in the wilds that they can be found in nature living as an alpha among a pack of wild beasts!

Elementalism----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The art of truly becoming one with the magics of Oorta, Elementalists cover both destructive and healing forces that play on such arcane energies.

The magic of Oorta is fundamentally unstable. The Oortians knew this and it is what allowed them to make the Portals between our worlds. However, while it is possible to harness this raw energy to create automata, it is also capable of being stored and released as a potent weapon or tool! We call these warriors of the elements Harnessers, as they harness raw magical energy to break apart and create beings and objects or reshape them to their will.
On the other hand, some Elementalists seek to become one with the raw magical energies, and we call these seekers Tuners. Through enduring harsh climes and magical energies, they learn to absorb the elements into themselves such that a gout of fire or a lash of winter wind merely invigorates them rather than damages. There is a legend among Oorta that some gifted Elementalists are capable of becoming the elements themselves, though I have never seen such a thing with my own eyes.

Similarly are the healing elementalists, who prefer to call themselves Menders and Regenerators.

Without healers the lifespan of many an adventurer would be cut terribly short. The art of healing comes in two forms, Mending and Regeneration. Menders are the medics and physicians of Oorta, healing others with their own magical essence. Their skills are vital on a battlefield or a vault raid, as Regeneration is often not enough to overcome the injuries sustained.

On the note of Regeneration, this is what we call those with a unique tenacity to survive ills and wounds. A hardy adventurer is oftentimes a powerful Regenerator, calling upon the latent energies around them subconsciously to heal their ailments. It is even said that some Regenerators are immortal, but if they are none have walked with civilization in some time.

A unique addition to Elementalism is using sound to create magical effects. These are the Bards.

Walk along the city streets or on the wide open roads and you may find yourself hearing the catchy tune of the Bard. These canny persons have a unique gift of using their voice to channel through the natural magical essences residing in the air all manner of unique effects. Many an unsuspecting adventurer has been lulled by a Bard’s song only to be robbed by a pack of thieves, so do be wary that the voice you hear is that of a friend!

Similar to the Bards who use song, others have found a way to move their bodies to the rhythms of magic, being able to manipulate the area around them with a range of effects. Some say the most experienced of Bards can change the lands themselves with the dances they perform!

Harvesting-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alas, without Harvesters we would have no material with which to build or work. They fall into three categories: Farmers, Miners, and Woodcutters.

The worlds of Oorta are host to a variety of plants ranging from a lowly grass to a stout tree, and every plant has it’s own unique variety of characteristics. It is for this reason that the Farmer finds work. These Harvesters are experts at getting the prime yield out of a crop, and never fall short of seed to replant. Those that dig in the ground for a different type of crop are the Miners:

Miners bring in the raw materials of the worlds to cities and tribes all across Oorta, digging deep to find rare metals and stones. The Miner is skilled in breaking through stones and getting more out of their strikes than a novice with a rusted pick. Similar to the strike of the pick is that of the axe:

Be nearby any forested region and you are sure to hear the sounds of an Axe wielder. These are the denizens who slay forests with a mighty blow and can strip a tree down to kindling in a flash of broad blade. The finest among them are capable of amazing feats of strength, being able to bring low a range of trees in a single swipe of their axe!

Hunting-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hunter is the victor of the wilds of Oorta, being skilled at looting their quarries and even more so at killing them. The Hunter is sometimes also called a warrior for the sole reason that their abilities to fight and kill effectively are very similar. Let us start with the types of Hunters: Skinners and Stalkers. The first, the Skinner is adept in finding usable materials from the corpses they come across, and for this a tidy profit can be made from a single kill.

The other type, the Stalker, is the true killer of Oorta. Stalker’s use their innate skills to hone in on the weaknesses of any given organism, and are able to land their blows with cunning precision that deal a devastating amount of damage to their prey. A true master Stalker is able to hone in on the weakness of a creature in but a moment and be able to land a finishing blow in the very next one.

However, sometimes charging is not always the best way to initiate combat. Sometimes you would rather merely move in on prey without being seen. This is the art of Stealth. Of course, there are two aspects to become a master of such an art: Sneaking to be unseen and Awareness to other things that might be sneaking upon you. The first is merely the practice of moving without sound, blending in with the shadows and making enemies think you were but a gust of the wind.

The latter is the art of knowing how other things sneak. Using Awareness, an adventurer will never stumble into an ambush, noticing a stealthed individual as if they were dressed up in glowing colors! By a general rule, the better you are at Sneaking the better you are at Awareness.

Smithing----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, smithing! There are a variety of smiths in the worlds of Oorta, including Toolsmiths, Armorsmiths, Weaponsmiths, and even Jewellers! I have described their individual trades below:

Without properly maintained armor, any adventurer is as good as dead if they find themselves squaring off against a keen enemy. Thus, knowing at least the basics of armor repair is a vital skill to the average adventurer, and common knowledge to a seasoned veteran explorer. The greatest are even able to use local items in the wilderness to repair armor to pristine conditions.
However, some adventurers go even further and seek to not just maintain their armor but develop new and better kinds! These smiths are the innovative protectors of an age, making techniques and styles that will become the standard in many an adventure to come. Aye, were it not for a fine smith nearby I would have been dead ten times over by now! Of a similar vein are Jewellers.

The Jewelers, makers of trinkets and baubles that both enhance the wearer’s abilities and display their affluent wealth. A Jeweler is often found in the most established of cities, making long sought after items that make adventures an entirely new experience. However neither would have materials without the implements of the Toolsmith!

Aye, Miners and Crafters would be at a loss without their tools, and thus the profession of the Toolsmith was born. There are two variants of the Toolsmith: the Tool Repairer and the Tool Forger. Tool Repairers are an essential part of surviving in Oorta, as all trades must partake of their works to keep apparatuses in pristine conditions.

The Tool Forger is the innovative tinkerer of an age, making new artifacts and constructs that allow for more efficient and faster work for the other professions. For this reason, a Toolsmith is often never bored for lack of work. Also never for lack of work are Weaponsmiths.

Oorta is a dangerous place, and the wise adventure always carries some form of weapon with them at all times. However, wear and tear is a common problem among adventurers, and so Weapon Repairers are a necessity for long expeditions. Without such your weapon may crumble to dust as you face a Protector!

Similarly, new weapons are being made every day to find sufficiently more clever ways to both attack and defend. We call the smiths of these mighty constructs Weapon Forgerers, and their trade is immensely popular among adventurers.

Survivalism------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Survivalism defines the skill to simply survive in the worlds of Oorta, especially the wilds. It takes a variety of forms, from Craftsmanship, to Cooking and Cartography. First we shall analyze Craftsmanship:

Crafting is an everyday activity in Oorta, and most of all for building structures like homes. Without crafting we would still be in our cave dwelling days (no offense to the Skal, of course), and would be victim to the extremes of Oorta’s weathers. Thus, two staples of life were born: Carpentry and Masonry. The Carpenter is capable of amazing feats of wood, making beams that can last generations and withstand any clime. The most skilled of carpenters can make items with half the materials an apprentice would.

On the other hand, Masonry plays a large part in making sturdy and more lasting foundations, and thus is essential in larger developments. A master Mason can create art out of any stone, and is capable of finding more usable pieces out of rubble than any neophyte. Both Masons and Carpenters must learn to work metal to better work their respective materials, and as such master Masons and Carpenters are capable of working metal nearly as well as their base materials. The other maker of Survivalists are the Cooks:

Oh, food. nothing is finer after a long day of adventuring than to sit down to a warm and filling meal! Alas, cooking is often an overlooked aspect to adventures, as many are fine with simply carrying bundles of bread and baked roots. Bah! Culinary excellence can do finer things than fill a person, they can ensure strength and vitality for the rest of the day! This makes two types of Cooks: Gourmets and Culinarians. The Gourmet is your average consumer made aficionado, and is able to taste the true flavors of a food, ensuring a much more enlightening experience!

The other kind is, of course, the Culinarian, the preparer of food! The most skilled of Culinarians are capable of making long-lasting dishes that can keep a person full for many cycles. Additionally, Culinarians are skilled enough to create superb meals with only the measliest of ingredients. Lastly and somewhat differently are the exploratory Survivalists: the Cartographers.

There are a thousand, thousand stars in the sky, and around them even more worlds. Without maps, we would be woefully lost! Thus we call upon the capable skills of the Cartographers, those intrepid few who map the terrain of all worlds that they can grasp. Among Cartographers, there are two varieties, the Surveyors and the Explorers. Surveyors are the legendary scouts, seeing farther than any among their group, and thus capable of discovering hidden paths or looming dangers much sooner.

Additionally, some Cartographers are avid Explorers, sharp individuals with a robust spirit to see what is around the next river bend or over the next mountain. Thus, Explorers have a unique skill to wandering the world, being rarely impaired by any form of harsh terrain or great height. With such skills an adept Cartographer can cover more ground in an hour than a rookie can in a day.

---------------------------------------------------------The Environs-------------------------------------------------------------

You have heard of the races you may encounter and what trades you may come across, but you have yet to see what the worlds of Oorta have in store for you, dear Reader. Environs can be a disparate as desert to tundra or as close as a coast to a swamp. I have catalogued what lands I have experienced below, though I am sure other climates of nature are still to occur in your travels.

It should be noted that climes rarely change, if ever. It is debated among scholars whether or not this is a product of magic or perhaps some other as of yet unknown natural occurrence.

Aerial
Anomalies
Badlands
Cavern
Coast
Desert
Forest
Jungle
Lake
Mesa
Mountainous
Ocean
Plains
River
Swamp
Tundra
Unstable
Volcanic

Aerial lands------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aerial lands are what we call the floating islands that are somewhat common on magically rich worlds. Beyond floating, they are of no really danger, but do be wary of your step, as it is often a nasty fall. Additionally, there is an even chance that the surface beneath the islands is a pristine ocean of water or a sea of lava, so even more caution to look before you leap!

Anomalies

Anomalies are the names we give to those terrain features that are not altogether a part of the rest of the biome around them. These can include things such as star impacts, Grey-touched lands, or structures of unknown to Oortian design.

A brief note on the first of these: star impacts are the name given to the craters left behind by a piece of starstone or starmetal piercing the sky and landing upon a world. These can be dangerous locales as each star fragment could have a different property, giving life in one impact but draining life with another!

Others anomalies are also known to appear, such as regions where magic simply doesn’t work, or spaces where magic can behave erratically and often dangerously.

Perhaps the most visually stunning of all are the hearthtrees, however. These trees are often of the general form of their usual kin, but by some means grow to be colossal woodland structures, often brushing the clouds and beyond with their leaves and touching the core of a world with their roots.

Badlands---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Badlands are those regions that bridge the divide between otherwise disparate lands. They come in two types, arid and frigid. Arid badlands serve as the buffer deserts and other more fertile lands. They share many similarities to plains but will also occasionally sport sand dunes and dried bushes and withered but stout trees. The heat also increases dramatically in arid lands, increasing thirst and slowing the regain of stamina. Waters that flow through these regions are often shallow and slow of current.

Frigid badlands are what separate taigas and tundras from warmer climes. Similar to plains, these regions can sport the occasional hillock of snow or the rare ice spike. Rivers that flow through these lands also tend to have ice gather near the shore. Trees will often be of the evergreen variety here as others simply cannot stand the cold. Similarly grasses and bushes are rare due to the temperature. The cold transition also stirs a hunger in a traveler, and the cold winds often bite away at the will to regain moort.

Caverns---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being one of the most diverse biomes, caverns can frequent an array of features. One cavern might flow with lava and basalt, the heat overwhelming a hapless adventurer to the point of dehydration. Quite another will be cold as death, with ice clinging to stalagmites and stalactites hugging the cavern floors and ceilings in sometimes breathtaking sizes.

Still more, some caverns house vast subterranean seas that stretch beyond sight, while others will be vast chasms of darkness, riddled with pitfalls and fissures. Be wary where you step!

Coastal lands---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coastal lands are the name given to those regions that border oceans and seas, often consisting of sand and small boulder outcroppings. These locations are frequented by savage storms just as often as they may be calm and peaceful. Oftentimes there will also be two kinds of steppes to a coastal region, one for a high tide and another for a low tide.

Desert lands-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other sandy region, deserts are often the bane of many a careless adventurer. Filled with sand dunes for as far as the eye can see, nearly all plants in the desert are found near oases of clear water ringed with tropical or dry-region trees and shrubbery. Additionally, various kinds of cacti can be seen scattered across the desert, which provide nourishment if you are careful enough to avoid their spines. Perhaps the most dire aspect of the desert, though, is the thirst it brings due to the extreme heats. This heat also makes it very difficult to regain stamina, often wearing the most hardy adventurer to exhaustion. Additionally, the sands are often shifting underfoot, so movement goes slowly in these regions. Plan accordingly!

Forests---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the most varied of all biomes, the term forest can be used to describe those regions densely populated by trees and other foliage. Variations on the biome largely are influenced by the climate in which they are located. Warmer climates will see tropical and arid trees while cooler climes will see more evergreen foliage and colors. These colder forests are more commonly known as Taigas. Beyond these variations there is little danger inherent to the environ itself. Forests are sometimes known to hold cavern entrances, though, so do be on the lookout!

Jungle-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both similar and yet entirely different to forests, jungles are the names we give to those forests that extend as far as the horizon, sprouting giant trees that touch the sky and strain the neck to view the tops of. Jungles are often filled with these narrow but long trees that blot out the sun from above with their thick, leafy canopies. The floors of the jungles are often hilly and have the occasional patch of quicksand that can prove rather fatal to the misstepping adventurer. Jungles also have a humid atmosphere that strikes a hunger in most adventurers, and will prove debilitating if they are not sufficiently prepared. Most jungles host a wide variety of plants, however, and exploring them is often necessary to find rare botanical ingredients.

Lake----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lakes are the names given to large bodies of water that are for the most part quite calm. These bodies can extend quite deeply into a world, and often host the entrances to submerged caverns and ruins. Lake waters are often home to a wide variety of lifeforms, useful in both alchemy and botany.

Mesa---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mesas are rather unique region, sometimes found near arid badlands. These regions are defined by tall and striped plateaus of clay or rock. Often arid, water is scarce in these lands, but small streams may be found between the plateaus, stemming from thin waterfalls and natural springs. Foliage is rare but sometimes a tree or shrubbery may be found. Occasionally, the space between plateaus may lead to a chasm that stems off into a variety of caverns.

Mountainous----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mountains are often the most visible aspect of a terrain, being a large collection of rock, ores, and dirt that can sometimes touch the clouds. These massive pieces of terrain are often surrounded by tall hills and forested valleys. Many a cavern can be found in the heart of a mountain, and many mines are constructed within them.

Another variant of terrain can also be called mountainous, and these are called cliffs. Cliffs are recognized as sheer drops that appear to be flat walls stripped with various materials. These often face valleys and coasts, and are, dare I say, rather breathtaking.

Ocean-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, the vast waters of the ocean! A startling view the first time you see one, oceans stretch as far as the horizon and their bodies of water are often larger than the landmasses of a world. The waters can often stretch down to the core of a world, and have a sandy and stony bottom that can raise and lower in underwater hills of varying sizes. Aquatic foliage and coral patches can be found interspersed along the ocean floor, riming the openings to undersea caverns. The surface of the ocean can become treacherous the closer you get to the center, with waves growing to heights taller than most dwellings, let alone the heights of seafaring ships. These waves can often plunge a sailor deep into the waters, drowning them mercilessly.

Plains--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plains are perhaps the most common of all biomes. Being long stretches of flat lands dotted with hillocks and the occasional steppe, plains are often differentiated by boulders that rolled down from nearby mountainous regions many ages past. Beyond this, plains are fairly docile. However, with heavy rain, exposed dirt often become a slick mud, impairing movement quite terribly.

River---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rivers are the term given to the long stretches of water that have a swift current that can carry an unprepared adventurer away. These rivers can often go quite deep into a world, and their widths can vary from a slow, narrow band to a raging, expansive strip. Rivers are often used to find an easy access to the ocean or lake bodies, and thus boats can often be found upon them.

Swamp------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swamps are the bane of the average traveller, being filled with mirk and pace-slowing mud. If the tepid waters and sink-traps are not enough for you, beware the assortment of poisons you might be exposed to from the environ itself! Try to avoid these places at all costs!

Tundra------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold as all could be, the tundras of Oorta can slow even the sturdiest of travellers, drawing great hunger due to the extreme frigidness. Additionally, the deep snow makes it difficult to travel quickly, so any traveller had best be prepared for a long journey!

Unstable----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes also known as the Crags, unstable lands are a peril to the careless. Riddled with sinkholes and pitfalls, unstable lands can collapse beneath you at the slightest change in movement. Woefully so, many a caravan has been lost this way.

Volcanic----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volcanic lands can be troublesome to navigate. In addition to the random pitfalls and rough terrain, the land is often covered in ash and dry as bone. Strong thirst finds travelers in these lands, and the ash slows movement considerable. Beware also the lava spouts! These cauldrons of fire have claimed many a treasure, never to be seen again!

--------------------------------------------------------The Worlds-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have now spoken on the peoples, trades, and environs, but now you must know of the worlds themselves, dear reader. For reasons unknown to us, some worlds are starkly different from others, but largely we can group these worlds into two broad categories: Stable and Unstable. These two categories are host to a variety of other world types, and I have done my best to elucidate the variations below:

Stable Worlds:
Garden Worlds
Oortian City Worlds
Barren Worlds

Unstable Worlds:
Oortian Vault Worlds
Proto-Worlds
Dying Worlds

Different worlds can be ventured to by discovering Rift Shards, a unique form of magical essence found only in Titans. These shards can be utilized to form Portals, the bridges between the worlds. Happy venturing!

Garden Worlds--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like their name implies, garden worlds are the springs of life in Oorta. Nearly every known living thing has come from one of these worlds, and largely from the same system, which each race seems to have it’s own name for. Garden worlds are host to nearly every environ I have described and are, for the most part, quite stable.

Oortian City Worlds-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say what you will about the Oortians, but they chose to build in ideal conditions. Often transforming every world they came across into a vast cityscape, these structures have withstood eras of nature and time, and should continue to do so without outside influence. These places are often quite unlike the outposts and stand-alone vaults one might find in a standard garden world, no, these were made to be the shining glory of the Oortian civilization. Even with overgrowth and rust, these city worlds still show us the impressive ability of the Oortian people.

Barren Worlds---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True to their name, these worlds are striped bare of life and material, wether by natural means or by the Oortians, none can say. While barren, these worlds are often the stepping stone to the profitable Unstable worlds, and so many an adventuring party will have an outpost or fortress in these places.

Oortian Vault Worlds------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oortian Vault Worlds might be better called the Oortian Vault Systems if only because each world that contains these impressive structures is largely unstable save the ground in which the vault itself is built upon or in. These vaults link to other nearby worlds in the system, forming one large structure segmented by portal transit. Beware traveling in these places, as they are the home of the Titans, dear reader, those behemoths who guard the most valuable of the Oortian relics and secrets. Often times each segment of a vault will be guarded by it’s own Titan, who will have to be defeated to open the gates to the next segment. These vaults can be worlds in and of themselves, containing entire environs suited especially for the Protectors who dwell there.

These vaults are often also host to a variety of puzzles placed by the Oortians as a safeguard to unworthy or unprepared individuals. At least this is what we must assume, there are no Oortians around to ask!

Proto-Worlds----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theorized to be at the farthest reaches of Oorta, Proto-Worlds are fraught with cataclysmic environs and unstable terrain that are forming to be the new stable world, but they are also host to large caches of materials in the realms of stone, metals, and gems. Alas, these worlds sometimes are so chaotic as to destroy portals that lead to them, so an adventurer had best take care!

Dying Worlds----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The polar opposite of Proto-Worlds, these worlds are nearing the end of their life, and entire chunks of the world will often break off and fly out into the sky in a gout of flame, lava, and hot gases. While dangerous, these often provide access to large caches of materials that form in the core of worlds that would otherwise be unobtainable. Great risk but even greater reward! Just be careful the portal doesn’t float away on an unstable foundation!

-----------------------------------------A Brief Note on Chromatic Architecture------------------------------------------

The following is a transcription of a lecture given by the scholar Imilyx on the nature of worlds and magic.

I am sure that all in attendance are at this time aware of the nature of worlds and their thematic colors. Those who are not should attend one of the lesser lectures on the origins of magic and greater mysteries of the Oorta.

Worlds as we know them are defined by a chromatic scale, defined by the different hues and tones present on a world. Whether this is an act of nature most profound, or an act of the Oortians even more so, we simply cannot say. What we do know is that each world is more finely…tuned, we might say, to a particular branch of magic.

Red worlds are known to lend a certain gravitas of power to heat magicks, while Oranges assist in the creation of summoned constructs. Yellows have been documented to assist in the use of airborne magicks, while Greens have been known to assist in the use of earthen magicks. Blues, of course, are known to assist in water-based magics, while the deeply connected Indigo’s assist with Ice forms. Of Violets it is said illusory magicks can be made more potent. These seven are known as the Prime World Types, making all other world forms derivative of them. Thus, we have the Brown worlds, aiding in the magick of growth magicks, and the Pink worlds, home to the art of infatuatory magicks. Two other forms of world are known to exist: Whites aid in the healing arts, while Black hues aid in the entropic arts.

In addition to adding to the power of magicks, each hue produces a different effect on planar geometry and geology, and thus leads to the position that certain magicks are host to a variety of different material forms. Thus, we find a larger concentration of Ibelin on Red worlds than any other. Further evidence to this statement is the fact that Ibelin can be used as a key component in making a heat rune because Ibelin is itself a product of the natural heat magick of a Red world!

I do want to make note of a peculiar phenomenon that at this time still needs to be addressed: The music of the spheres. Even the most unobservant of us has been witness to the sounds and songs that seem to carry in the atmosphere of Oorta. It is my theory that these planar songs are a by-product of the magical essence inherent in the worlds.

These world forms are the basis for the magicks they entreat, and some of the earliest recordings of the respective powers can be found upon them. This leads us to a grand hypothesis: Magic is a construct of the worlds, not of the Oortians. Now some may debate that the Oortians have made the worlds of Oorta and by a product, Magick, but today is not a debate on the Origin of Things.

No, today I address what we have been seeing all along: There is a Chromatic Architecture to Oorta that countless past generations have overlooked. Further study could yield more explanations to the nature of Oorta and the ones who came before, the ancestral Oortians.

-------------------------------------------------The Weathers of Oorta--------------------------------------------------------

The weathers of Oorta can be as serene as a still lake to as turbulent as the raging oceans. I have done my best to catalog all those weathers that I have witnessed in my travels:

Calm
Fire Storms
Snow
Thunderstorms
Windy
Wind Spirals
Whirlpools

Calm---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The calm periods are the most common occurrence on many Garden worlds in Oorta, being the natural state for many environs. Travelling during these conditions is ideal, as nothing in the way of weather impedes progress.

Fire Storms-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On rare occasion on Stable worlds and quite frequently on unstable ones, you may find yourself in a Fire Storm. These events can be rather destructive, as bits of flaming stone and metal fall from the sky. This will often culminate in one to few impacts from large chunks of stone and metal that break apart the land but provide rare materials unknown to the world in which they impact. Take care, though, the raining fire still hurts!

Snow---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An occurrence common to the colder worlds, snow will leaden the ground with thick frost and snow piles. If that was not enough, the cold snow induces a great hunger and slows progress. Winter expeditions should plan for these eventualities and be prepared to make cover when a thick snow is inbound.

Thunderstorms-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently found on warmer worlds, thunderstorms can be both a boon and a curse. The rain that falls during these storms often aids in crop growth, but the occasional lightning strike can prove fatal if in the wrong place and can cause fire where it strikes. Additionally, a thick mud can occur during the rain on any exposed dirt or grass that greatly slows travel. Best to find shelter in these cases and wait the storm out!

Windy--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A weather type that can spontaneously happen on any world, windy conditions impede progress immensely and can even blow a caravan backwards quite far back. This type of phenomenon is far more prevalent in higher climates, so always remember to tether a grapple while scaling a mountain or cliff-side!

Wind Spiral-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the most terrifying of weather phenomena, the Wind Spiral should be stayed as far away from as possible. These spouts of fierce wind travel in a swirling fury and can occur both on land and at sea. On land these spirals will tear out large chunks of land or structure and hurl them away with terribly destructive force. On water these produce massive waves that capsize boats and drown the unwary. Woe be to a traveler in either place!

Whirlpools-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found solely in water environs, whirlpools have been the death of many a careless swimmer, being able to pull you down deep below the depths, deeper than one might swim on even the largest breath of air. In addition, the force of the swirling water can be quite painful, and has killed before lack of air was even a problem for a sailor. Do be sure to check your routes for these phenomenon.

=========================================
============Making Your Way==============
=========================================

At this point I would like to provide you with a snippet of treasure, dear reader! Below I have transcribed to you an excerpt from an Oortian tome. Sadly I cannot make much sense of it, but perhaps you can do better!

--------------------------------------------------Creating A Character----------------------------------------------------------

Receive us. Rewind the Fell Acts. Begin the Creation Engine.

We Regret. Our Worlds, Your Deaths. We Regret. Begin Anew. Be Greater Than We.

Hello, Life. We see You. What do You See?

You are Life, but you Must Choose your Form:

Choose your race among these options:

Faidhe-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Immune to detrimental effects of Cold Environs, including Fatigued and Slowed conditions.
Biological Trait: Can see in the Dark as easily as in Full Light.
Crafting Style: All created armors have a trait that decreases your chance of being Frozen.
Skill Proficiency: Harvesting and Craftsmanship both progress faster.

Maghina----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Can move through any hindering terrain but snow without being Slowed.
Biological Trait: Almost impervious to Poison from all sources.
Crafting Style: All armors created have a trait that decreases your chance of being Poisoned.
Skill Proficiency: Druidism and Craftsmanship both progress faster.

Canis--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Can move as fast while sneaking as they do naturally walking.
Biological Trait: Sprinting costs half as much Essence.
Crafting Style: All armors created have a small amount of additional Damage Mitigation.
Skill Proficiency: Hunting and Smithing both progress faster.

Lunin--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Immune to detrimental effects of Hot Environs, including Maddened and Slowed conditions.
Biological Trait: Light Footedness allows safe passage over hostile terrain and ground traps.
Crafting Style: All created armors have a trait that lessens the chance of being weakened.
Skill Proficiency: Arcanism and Smithing both progress faster.

Mystian-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Long Step allows passage upwards up to two blocks above character height.
Biological Trait: Springed Step allows no damage to be taken from falls.
Crafting Style: All created armors have a trait that decreases the chance of being Crippled.
Skill Proficiency: Harvesting and Smithing both progress faster.

Aquos-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Suffer no Movement Impairment from being in the water.
Biological Trait: Gills allow the ability to breath underwater.
Crafting Style: All created armors have a trait that decreases the chance of Bleeding.
Skill Proficiency: Hunting and Arcanism both progress faster.

Skal----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Tough Skin allows no Health Loss from being in Lava.
Biological Trait: Can see in the Dark as easily as in Full Light.
Crafting Style: All created armors have a trait that decrease the chance of Burning.
Skill Proficiency: Survivalism and Smithing both progress faster.

Aerbia-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movement Trait: Wings allow for Flight that is possible for as long as one can Sprint.
Biological Trait: Sharp Eyes allow Aerbia a benefit to the Stealth Skill.
Crafting Style: All created armors have a trait that decrease the chance of being Slowed.
Skill Proficiency: Hunting and Survivalism both progress faster.

Details-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End the Concept of Form, Enter the Vision of Self.

Creating a character’s appearance presents a few options depending on the race you chose. Among these options can be:

Horn type and size
Tail type and size
Face size and length
Eye size and color
Ear size and shape
Mouth size and shape and color
Nose/Snout size and shape
Hand size
Foot size
Muscle size
Skin/Fur/Feather color and pattern
Chest/Stomach/Gluteus size
Hair style and color
Character scale

Attributes---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End the Vision of Self, Enter the Will to Be.

The last step of character creation is to choose one of three Attributes that will increase twice as much as the other two Attributes when one increases in “Level.” The Attributes are as such:

Health - The Attribute that determines the rate at which one heals and the amount of damage one takes before “dying.”

Will - The Attribute that determines the rate at which one recovers from casting a spell or engaging in a physical strike and the amount of natural power that goes into such actions.

Endurance - The Attribute that determines the duration that food and drink abstains Hunger from being detrimental to the player and which diminishes the amount that the Hunger Bar inhibits the maximum Health and Essence recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------Skills and Advancement--------------------------------------------------

Advance. Create as we have Created.

Skills define a character’s advancement in the game and allow for ‘level’ progression. Each skill can go from 0 to 100, and at each rank of 10 (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100), the character has access to more abilities and craftables related to the skill. These skills are advanced by utilizing the skill in either one of a skill’s subsets. Also, the ranks have titles to go along with them:

10 - Neophyte
20 - Novice
30 - Protege
40 - Apprentice
50 - Adept
60 - Journeyman
70 - Expert
80 - Master
90 - Grandmaster
100 - Legend

Additionally, achieving each rank of 10 Advances a character’s level, increasing each attribute by one, or two for the attribute the character chose to specialize in.

Lastly, the ranks between the different skill titles (1, 2, 3, etc.) have a timer on them, and a character must advance in skill again or put experience towards that skill or the skill will drop in rank down to the nearest rank of 10. Higher ranks are harder to advance into, but grant more time before dropping. In other words, “Use it or lose it!”

Temporary increases in the rate of skill advancement can be achieved by consuming potions, reading Oortian Memory Tablets, and by resting.

Arcanism---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanism is the art of utilizing magic to perform a variety of physical functions, including Brewing potions and poisons, Transmuting materials of one type into another, creating Magical Foci, creating Runes/Runestones, and utilizing Gems. Additionally, it exemplifies the art of crafting recipes and learning new ones. Lastly it takes part in Thaumaturgy to implement Shields to reinforce a structure. This skill is leveled by taking part in any of the above mentioned activities.

The advancement line provides the following abilities:

• Tier ‘X‘ allows for the creation of [Rank Title] potions and poisons, whose effects are capped to a duration of one minute and a maximum buff or debuff of ‘X’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for the transmutation of Tier ‘X’ materials.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for the guaranteed creation of Tier ‘X’ magical equipment, runes, and recipes, and improves the chance of creating magical equipment, runes, and recipes at Tier ‘X+1’ and above.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for the guaranteed placement of Tier ‘X’ gems and improves the chance of placing gems at Tier ‘X+1’ and above.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased number of recipes gained from an Oortian information source by ‘X’.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for the guaranteed placement of Tier ‘X’ shields in a structure and improves the chance of placing shields at Tier ‘X+1’ and above in a structure.

Combatist--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combatist defines the art of dealing damage with melee based weapons and using ranged equipment more efficiently and precisely. It is leveled by dealing damage with melee weapons and ranged weapons as well as scaling great distances with the grappling hook.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased damage output and attack rate of ‘X*5’% with melee weapons.

• Tier ‘X’ increases the range of the grappling hook and projectiles fired from a personal ranged weapon by ‘X’ ‘block(s).’

• Tier ‘X’ allows for a decrease in the amount of damage taken by ‘X*5’% while using a shield.

Druidism----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Druidism defines the art of creating new forms of flora and fauna and is leveled by doing so, in addition to the successful taming of wild fauna.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased rate of success with getting the desired traits in a hybridized flora or fauna by ‘X*5’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased rate of success with taming a wild form of fauna of ‘X’% .

Elementalism----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elementalism focuses on utilizing the magic of Oorta and turning it into a weapon, healing implement, or personal shield. Elementalism is leveled by utilizing magic in a successful effect and by surviving direct magical effects.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increase of magical potency by ‘X*5’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for a decreased effect of harmful or debilitating magical energies by ‘X*5’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased natural Health Recovery rate of ‘X*5’%.

Harvesting-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harvesting focuses on getting the maximum yield at the most efficient rate from woodcutting, farming, and mining. Leveling the skill is dependent on taking part in these activities.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased rate at which one harvests ores, wood, and flora of ‘X*10’% with an increased yield of ‘X’ seeds/ore/wood.

Hunting-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunting defines the skill of taking down prey and fully utilizing the kill. Hunting is leveled rather uniquely, being increased by killing a certain subset of each kind of entity, with a bonus to killing them via an attack will stealthed and undetected by them. Thus, one can have a hunting level of 25 for one type of being but a hunting level of 100 for another. Additionally, this determines how good you are at sneaking up on an entity.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increase damage and loot output of ‘X*10’% against the respective entity.

• Tier ‘X’ decreases the opacity of one’s form and decreases a respective entity’s ability to detect one’s form by ‘X*10’%

• Tier ‘X’ increases one’s ability to detect stealthed entities of Tier ‘X’ and below completely, with a ‘X*5’% chance of detecting entities at Tier ‘X+1’.

Smithing----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smithing defines the art of crafting and maintaining armor, weapons, tools, and jewelry at an Essence Forge. Smithing is increased by successfully creating or repairing any of the above equipable items.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for the guaranteed repair of Tier ‘X’ armors, tools, weapons, and jewelry, and improves the chance of repairing said equipable items at Tier ‘X+1’ and above.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for the guaranteed creation of Tier ‘X’ armors, tools, weapons, and jewelry, and improves the chance of creating said equipable items at Tier ‘X+1’ and above.

Survivalism------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Survivalism defines the art of making use of materials to create structures and food. Additionally, it covers the ability to travel efficiently. It is leveled by making items of stone, wood, and clay, as well as the making and consumption of food and drink, and lastly by exploring the worlds of Oorta.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased return of Endurance granted by consuming food and drink by ‘X*10’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased return of materials used in crafting an object made of wood, stone, or clay by ‘X*5’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for an increased detection range of enemies and players displayed on both the map and minimap by ‘X*10’%.

• Tier ‘X’ allows for a chance of ignoring the conditions provided by an Environ or Weather by ‘X*10’%.

---------------------------------------------------------------Resting---------------------------------------------------------------

Take rest. Relive Essence.

If you wish to advance more quickly in your skills, you should rest every once and awhile. Doing so will give you the Rested condition that will increase the rate at which skills are leveled. In addition, you may even dream up a recipe on a very rare occasion! Additionally, your Health, Will, and Endurance will all return to their maximum values.

To rest you will have to interact with a bed, chair, bench, couch, or cushion. You will be shown a series of images related to the world and your own adventures, and maybe even an ancestral link to the Oortians of ancient times! This lasts no more than five minutes but afterwards you are awarded the temporary Rested condition and very rarely a recipe. Note that there is a time that you must wait between resting periods, you cannot sleep a day away!

---------------------------------------------------------------Venturing------------------------------------------------------------

Wield, as we have wielded. Explore, as we have explored.

HUD----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the first things you will notice upon glimpsing the world after character creation is the HUD, or head-up-display. The elements in the HUD can be arranged and placed anywhere on the screen such that it matches your preference. In addition, these elements can be resized, changed in opacity, or altogether removed to allow full immersion.

1. The first element we will discuss is the Life Signs arrangement. This arrangement of information will provide you with details on your current Health, Will, and Endurance. Your Health is represented by a green bar, Will by a blue bar, and Endurance is represented by a yellow bar. Health displays how much health you currently have, Will displays how much energy you have left to cast spells/sprint/swing a weapon, and Endurance shows the maximum that Health and Will can regenerate. Health depletes when you take damage, Will depletes when you cast a spell, sprint, or swing a weapon, and Endurance depletes over time due to Hunger. Health and Will regenerate naturally, but Endurance can only be regained by consuming food or drink.

2. The second element to consider is the Utility Bar. This is a selection of the current items useable to you through the keyboard inputs 9-0. Selecting an item will allow you to use that item. The Utility Bar can be swapped with the Combat Bar by hitting the ‘Q’ input on the keyboard. The Combat Bar consists of a selection of six items, the first three toggle between the different stances of the weapon in your Primary Weapon Slot in your Inventory and inputs 4-6 access the stance for the weapon in your Secondary Weapon Slot in your Inventory.

3. The third element to consider is the Compass Bar, which can only be seen if you have a compass in your Inventory. The Compass Bar shows the cardinal directions and also indicates points of interest.

4. The fourth element to consider is the Mini-Map, which can only be seen if you have a scope in your Inventory. The Mini-Map displays information about the surrounding area, and, with upgrades to the scope, can zoom out farther.

5. The fifth element to consider is the Breath Meter. The Breath Meter appears when you enter a region without readily breathable air. The meter is a white bar that will steadily diminish, but will begin to flash red when the bar is below 20% of it’s total value.

6. The final, sixth element to consider is the Active Effects arrangement. This arrangement will display any and all effects that are currently active upon you in a narrow list. Each effect has it’s own icon and bar. These bars will steadily decrease over time and pulse slightly when nearing their end.

Controls----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many ways to explore the world, but unanimously you will use controls. To explore Oorta, use the following keys and strokes to get the following actions:

• Mouse Move = Look

• Mouse Left Click = If in Combat Mode: Light Attack with weapon in Primary Hand.

• Mouse Left Click (Hold) = Variant. If in Item Mode: Continuously break items. If in Combat Mode: Heavy Attack with selected ability in Primary Hand.

• Mouse Right Click = Variant. If in Item Mode: Place item. If in Combat Mode: Light Attack with selected ability in Secondary Hand. Otherwise used to activate a utility block.

• Mouse Right Click (Hold) = Variant. If in Item Mode: Continuously place items. If in Combat Mode: Heavy Attack with selected ability in Secondary Hand.

• Mouse Scroll = Change quick bar item.

• Inputs WASD = Move (Double tap W and hold to run)

• Input Space = Jump

• Inputs 1-9 = Change Utility Bar or Combat Bar selection

• Input Shift (Hold) = Sneak and carefully step. (Player goes into Stealth and will not fall off ledges while holding)

• Input Q = Toggle between Combat Bar and Utility Bar

• Input R = Toggle Sculpting Bar while a mutable essence is selected from the Utility Bar

• Input E = Open/close inventory window

• Input P = Pause Menu

• Input O = Options

• Input C = Third Person View

• Input F = Selfie View

• Input Enter = Toggle Fullscreen display mode

• Input Tab = Toggle debugging info

• Input Esc = Exit Fullscreen display mode

The Map----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accessing the Map brings up a look at the regions you have visited , which can only be accessed by having a Traveller’s Sphere in your Inventory. On the map screen is shown your orientation, nearby entities and structures, and all points of interest that you have placed on the map. Points of interest can be placed on a map by right clicking a position, naming the point, and confirming the creation of a Point of interest. These can also be removed by right clicking them again and confirming their removal.

The Star Map can be brought up by a toggle in the upper left corner of the Map screen. The Star Map displays all the worlds and star arrangements you know of and all of the connecting portal points you know.

Additionally, in the upper right corner are two clickable buttons. The top generates a Soul Essence, a magical swirl of information detailing your travels, personal character information, and points of interest, in your Inventory. This Soul Essence can be shared with others. The bottom will show you all Soul Essences in your Inventory and you can choose the ones to consume such that they add their information to your map.

Lastly, in the lower left corner of the Map screen is a clickable button that produces a Navigational Essence which details the exact position you are at. This Essence can be utilized for Warps, which will be discussed later on.

Inventory---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventory is categorized into three sections: material essences, tools, and items.

1. The material essences are building materials or blocks of ore.
  2. The equipables include unequipped weapons, tools, and armor.
  3. The items include objects such as trophies, raw ore, and crafting components.

From the Inventory menu you can also see your current Map coordinates in the lower left corner. In the upper right corner is your personal character information, displaying your current titles and guild membership. Which titles you display can be set here. Additionally, there is a clickable button in the upper right corner that will create a Soul Essence that contains your information. This Soul Essence can be used with Beacon Altars, Storage Containers, and Doors/Gates to allow for different permission levels to said constructs and for sharing Map information with others.

Additionally, space is limited in each section, but more slots can be made available to store items on yourself through equipping bags, backpacks, satchels, and pouches.

Lastly, holding the mouse pointer over an object will give you detailed information on the object. For material essences you will see the alchemic ability of the essence if you have discovered it as well as the dye that can come from using the object at a Chromatic Well. For equipables you will see a variety of information: The name, creator, and rarity of the equipable, the components that made it, it’s durability, amount of damage it can do or the amount of damage it can mitigate if it is armor, and any unique traits the equipable has. For items you will see the number of recipes you know that utilize the material, the rarity of the material, the alchemic properties and traits the object can bestow (if you know them), and the type of material. All objects can be deconstructed in the inventory by right-clicking on them and dismantling them, the results of which is described in the Deconstructing section below.

Storage------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The storage menu gives you a list of all the items that are in Storage Containers that you have access to within 10 ‘blocks’ of your position. Storage is separated in a manner similar to the base inventory, and can be sorted by type or amount.

Additionally, Inventory objects are displayed with the storage objects and are denoted with a star in the bottom right corner of their thumbnail icon. Items can be added or removed from storage by double clicking on them from the storage menu.

Mousing over each object displays the same information you might see if you mouse over them on the inventory page.

Equipment-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Equipment menu provides a look at your character that can be zoomed in and out on and rotated. Also on this page is the ability to equip items to your character by clicking on one of the equipment slots and viewing all the items that can fit into that slot from your inventory. There are 16 slots, including:

• Head
  • Neck
  • Chest
  • Bag
  • Backpack
  • Satchel
  • Pouch 1
  • Pouch 2
  • Tabard
  • Hands
  • Right Wrist
  • Left Wrist
  • Legs
  • Feet
  • Primary Weapon
  • Secondary Weapon

Additionally, each slot can be toggled from being viewed on the character, instead showing the character’s clothes for the respective slot (if applicable) or showing nothing but the character’s skin or fur. There are three cloth slots:

• Chest
  • Legs
  • Feet

Mousing over each equipable displays the same information you might see if you mouse over them on the inventory page.

Also on this page you can see your skill advancement and your basic statuses in:

• Health, which is raised solely through leveling.

• Health Regeneration, which is raised half as much as your Health through leveling.

• Will, which is raised solely through leveling.

• Will Regeneration, which is raised half as much as your Will through leveling.

• Endurance, which is raised solely through leveling.

• Base Movement Speed, which is raised by wearing lighter armors.

• Base Attack Speed, which is raised by equipping smaller weapons. Also, in special cases with modifiers from your skills.

• Base Attack Damage, which is raised by equipping more powerful offensive weapons. Also, in special cases with modifiers from your skills.

• Base Damage Mitigation or Armor, which is raised by having more heavier armor and more defensive weapons equipped. Also, in special cases with modifiers from your skills.

Combat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combat is handled from the main game screen and is utilized through activating the Combat Bar. The moment you activate your Combat Bar, your weapons are drawn and you place yourself in the default stance of Guarding, which aims to block incoming attacks. Every time you use one of the other stances by left or right clicking, you will make your attack and then fall back into the Guarding Stance. Additionally, holding down a left or right click allows for a more powerful attack at the expense of a Lesser Guarding Stance afterward that is less successful at blocking damage.

In the Combat Bar are six slots, three for each of your equipped weapons. What these slots represent mean different things for different weapons. Generally, however, it can be summed up like this for melee based weapons, which attack in a cone about the player, and for ranged weapons:

1. Speed Stance This stance will allow for a fast rate of attack but a higher damage input from enemy attacks while you are striking.
  2. Careful Stance This stance will allow for a balance of attack rate and damage input from enemy attacks while you are striking.
  3. Precision Stance This stance will allow for a slow attack rate but a lower damage input from enemy attacks while you are striking.

Similarly for magic implements:

1. Beam Stance This stance will allow for your magic to shoot out in a quick beam that produces an effect where it hits but leaves you open to higher damage from enemy attacks while casting.
  2. Charging Stance This stance will allow you to fire a ball of energy that will land and affect the area around it and leaves you fairly normally unguarded while casting.
  3. Meditative Stance This stance will allow you to create an Area of Effect around yourself that also effectively guards you while casting.

For shields they simply improve your Damage Mitigation and never have to be used directly in combat:

Attacking will consume Will from your character, small amounts for light attacks and large amounts for heavy attacks.

There are really two main things to consider when taking into account attacks and damage:

• Attack Damage concerns itself with the total attack damage outputted.

• Damage Mitigation concerns itself with the total amount of an attack damage that is negated through evasion or sheer blocking power.

Conditions-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your character can come into contact with a host of temporary conditions during play, both beneficial and malignant. They are as follows:

• Rested increases the rate of advancement in all skills and occurs from Resting. Cannot be stacked.

• Tired decreases the rate of advancement in all skills and occurs from not Resting in a long time.

• Full decreases the amount that Hunger decreases your Endurance and occurs from having recently eaten.

• Sick increases the amount that Hunger decreases your Endurance and occurs from having consumed bad food or drink.

• Hastened greatly increases your character’s Movement Speed and occurs largely from magical effects.

• Slowed greatly decreases your character’s Movement Speed and occurs largely from magical effects and hostile Environs like mud.

• Bleeding slowly decreases your Health over a long period of time and occurs from damage via a bladed weapon.

• Poisoned steadily decreases your Health and occurs from being Poisoned by enemies or a hostile Environs like swamps.

• Crippled drastically lowers your attack rate and occurs from being damaged by a blunt weapon.

• Fear steadily decreases your Will and occurs from being Feared by enemies.

• Fatigued decreases your Health regeneration rate and occurs largely from hostile environments such as swamps.

• Maddened decreases your Will regeneration rate and occurs largely from hostile environments like the desert.

• Weakened decreases your attack power and occurs largely from being Weakened by magical effects like lightning and hostile Environs like the cold.

• Strengthened increases your attack power and occurs largely from being Strengthened by magical effects.

• Burning decreases your health rapidly and occurs from being set on fire or being exposed to lava.

• Frozen stops your movement and actions and occurs from being Frozen by enemies.

• Lightened slightly increases your movement speed and can occur when you re-spawn after a ‘death.’

• Docile makes you unable to attack or defend and occurs largely from magical effects.

• Drained slowly drains your Health and Will and occurs largely from magical effects and hostile Environs, such as the Grey.

States--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similarly, your character has a few more permanent states they may become affected by. They are as follows:

• Hunger steadily decreases your Endurance and constantly occurs, only appearing in your Active Effects if it is directly modified.

• Guarded increases your damage mitigation and occurs from naturally being in Combat.

• Lesser Guarded increases your damage mitigation by a small amount and occurs from naturally being in Combat after a heavy attack.

• Focused increases your attack output when wielding two weapons of the same type.

• Balanced increases your damage mitigation when wearing all armor of the same type.

----------------------------------------------------------Making a Claim---------------------------------------------------------

Live greater than we lived. Build greater than we built.

Building-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building is a fantastically simple and creative process accessible through the Utility bar. Simply select an object you would like to place and right click to place it on a surface that it can rest on. To change the shape of a placed essence, simply hit R to toggle the Sculpting Bar and select the shape you desire from the list of available forms:

Input 1 creates a 45 degree sloped block on it’s square face.
Input 2 creates a 45 degree sloped block on it’s triangular face.
Input 3 creates a small corner block.
Input 4 creates a large corner block.
Input 5 creates a saddle shaped block.
Input 6 creates a pyramid style corner block.
Input 7 creates a step block.
Input 8 creates a half block.
Input 9 creates a wall block.

Additionally, a sculpted block’s direction is determined by the direction your character is facing. Thus, if looking up, you will place the bottom of the new block on the bottom surface of another block above you.

Some essences cannot form stable attractions between each other and are pulled down by a world’s gravity almost as soon as they are placed. Sands, gravels, and snow follow this rule so be careful when building with them and around them!

To protect your creations from the natural regeneration of a world, you must place a beacon. Beacons will be covered later in this guide.

Mining and Gathering----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both mining and gathering will be the primary means for obtaining materials in Oorta. Worlds will naturally regenerate over time, but the location of materials will not be constant. Thus, an ore vein you found before will be in an entirely different place when the world regenerates.

To mine or gather, simply hold left click on the object in question until it is broken apart and it’s essence or items that can be produced by breaking it will drop as a lootable object(s). Lootable objects will be attracted to the nearest player’s Inventory. If your inventory is full you will simply have the collectables ignore you.

Similarly, when an enemy is slain, loot that comes from it will fall around the corpse as lootable objects that are attracted to the nearest player’s Inventory. If your Inventory is full the collectables will ignore you.

--------------------------------------------------------------Crafting---------------------------------------------------------------

Forge as we forged. Learn as we learned.

Recipes-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly every object in Oorta is created through crafting, and the knowledge of how to create those objects is held in recipes. Recipes can be found in ancient Oortian texts, tomes, and tablets in the natural world but can also be garnered from other player’s Scholarly pursuits.

Once a recipe is used, the player permanently has knowledge of how to craft the object it describes. Creating a recipe at a Scribing Table requires paper, ink, and one sample of the object in question. Recipes for equipables will detail how to make higher Tier versions of those equipables. Similarly for items such as furniture, you will discover new ways to make the same types of objects out of various materials.

Using Raw Materials------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once a recipe has been learned and the proper materials are acquired, the player can bring their knowledge and material to a crafting station that aids in creating the desired object. By right clicking on the crafting station, the Crafting menu is displayed, which consists of a 9x9 input box in which essences and other materials can be placed. On the right hand side will be displayed all the various creations that can be made at the station that the player has knowledge of. Craftables that are lacking the required resources on the left side will be dim, while craftables with an adequate amount of materials on the left side will be lit up.

Mousing over the objects on the right side will detail the type and amount of resources needed to craft it.

The various crafting stations are as such:

• Transmogrification Table allows for the transmutation of materials, creation of potions and poisons, runes, and recipes.
  • Refinery allows for the purification of raw materials into refined versions of those materials and the extraction of dyes from materials.
  • Essence Forge allows for the creation of armors, weapons, tools, jewelry, and magical foci.
  • Druidic Altar allows for the breeding of different flora and fauna.
  • Survivalist Bench allows for the creation of different blocks and utilities made of wood, stone, and clay in addition to food and drink.

If creating an equipable item at the Essence Forge, you can add both runes and gems to an item to enhance the traits or magical effects an object has. Additionally, at both the Survivalist Bench and Essence Forge you can apply what dyes you know to the objects you create to color them to your preference. Both can also be used to reforge an item with a different dye.

Repairing---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oftentimes your equipment will become damaged, but before you throw it away or break it down, try to Repair it! Repairing equipment can be done at the Essence Forge by using one of each material that went into an item. Your Smithing skill will determine the success of your efforts. If successful, the Repairs should heal at least 25% of your equipment’s maximum Durability each time.

Deconstructing-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally you will find or have equipment you cannot use, and these materials can be given away to others, but, if you desire a little extra bit of resources, you can deconstruct them from the inventory menu. This will yield at least half of the materials that went into the object you deconstructed. In rare cases you might even find a recipe for making the object!

-----------------------------------------------------------Beacons-----------------------------------------------------------------

We have left worlds in ruins. You will always enjoy gardens.

Among the varieties of phenomenon you may experience among the worlds, there is one thing you will be sure to notice quickly: worlds regenerate. Given enough time, even a leveled mountain will return to it’s original glory. So how do you create any sense of permanency, you ask? Beacons.

Beacons can be forged by attuning yourself to a world, using a large quantity of Oort Shards and one of your Soul Essences to create a font of energy reminiscent of a floating crystal with many juttings and facets that radiates a beacon around it. This beacon prevents the world within it from regenerating and is tied to a player intrinsically. This allows for the player to do a variety of things by accessing the font.

Initially, the beacon can only cover a small area, but by feeding it Oort Shards native to the world you are on you can expand it’s size and enable more capabilities. The first ability the beacon has occurs as soon as the beacon becomes active, and that is the fact that the world does not regenerate within it. Additionally, this makes it so that only you can affect the world within the beacon, all other will only be able touch objects but never interact with them.

If you wish, you can allow others to interact inside your beacon by you feeding the source their Soul Essences. With more Soul Essence comes a larger allotment of abilities, such as faster movement, greater size, and ultimately unimpeded flight.

Soul Essences can be removed from a beacon if desired to banish a person, or can be placed in a sort of void space, baring a person from even being able to pass into the beacon space or to not even be able to see through the beacon.

In appearance your beacon is a shimmering and wavy barrier that can be made to be more clear, opaque, static, turbulent, or a variety of colors if you will it. All of these things can be accessed by interacting with different aspects of the source’s crystalline surface.

Unfortunately it appears that only the oldest worlds can stably have beacons, those designated ‘Tier 1’ Worlds. Beacons on higher, newer worlds can only hold beacons for a limited amount of time, typically no longer than a week, needing to be fed Soul Essence to ensure their continued existence.

-------------------------------------------------------Portals and Warps--------------------------------------------------------

Travel our worlds. Your worlds.

Portals are the means through which you can walk upon any world amongst the stars. Initially, however, all you can do is Warp. In either case, you will need to obtain Rift Shards or Oort shards, depending on what you desire to accomplish.

Creating a Warp with Oort Shards will allow you create a one-way ticket to a random world, a specific location if used in conjunction with a Navigational Essence, or to another player if used in conjunction with one of their Soul Essence. These Warps last no more than 60 seconds but produce a Portal Essence when created. Note that you can only travel with Warps to worlds of Tiers you have unlocked, else stepping through such rifts will tear you apart.

To create a Portal, a permanent link between two points, you will need to follow the same process of creating a Warp, but this time done in conjunction with the use of a Portal Essence. This will make the two Warp point be forever connected by a Portal Node. By expending Oort Shards on the Portal Node, the gateway between the two points in opened for no more than 60 seconds and then closes, reverting back to a Portal Node. It should be noted that Portal Nodes have something in the way of a Beacon around them, holding off the regeneration of the world in a small spherical radius.

To unlock a Tier with a Warp is a part of the process in getting to one, which require Rift Shards. Rift Shards are pieces of a greater or higher ‘Tier’ world, and can only be found upon the corpse of a slain Titan. When you take these Rift Shards into your inventory, you become tuned to higher Tiers of worlds. The more Rift Shards you acquire over your lifetime, even if you use or lose the Rift Shards you find, the higher a Tier of world you unlock. Lower Tier worlds’ Titans contain relatively few Rift Shards compared to higher ones, but every Tier requires more and more Rift Shards to be acquired. Lastly, these Rift Shards can be used in the same way you use Oort Shards to make a Warp to an entirely random but higher Tier world, the exact Tier of which is dependent on the number of Rift Shards consumed.

------------------------------------------------------------Runestones------------------------------------------------------------

Runestones are the greatest tools you have to work with, making many aspects of your life immensely easier. Runestones are as varied as the Runes you can make, and are, in fact, the same items! The distinction lies in how they are used, thus, when they are used on surfaces, Runes become Runestones, fusing with the surface or object they are placed upon.

Additionally, like Runes, each has it’s effects magnified the greater a Rune it is. Creating greater Runes will be covered later.

Their effects are as follows:

• Red Runestone attracts fire towards it’s location, allowing you to manipulate the flow of lava that has a navigable path through air in various directions.

• Orange Runestone allow for summoned creatures nearby to exist longer in the world.

• Yellow Runestone will shock actively hostile enemies who come near them for at least five to ten seconds.

• Green Runetone will produce an earthen spike trap when walked upon, placer beware!

• Blue Runestone attracts water with a navigable path through air towards it’s location, allowing you to bring water uphill and in a wide variety of other directions.

• Indigo Runetone will freeze actively hostile enemies for a short period of time when they walk over these Runestones.

• Violet Runestone can only be applied to an existing Runestone, and turns that Runestone invisible, rendering the terrain to look as it did before being altered by magic.

• Brown Runestone will speed the growth process of plants and young fauna who are near it.

• Pink Runestone will make any actively hostile entity other than Titans become docile while nearby the Runestone.

• White Runestone is commonly referred to as a Marker and acts as a respawn point for you in the eventuality of your death.

• Black Runestone will apply a detrimental field to actively hostile entities, draining them of their Health and Will while nearby.

Runestones can be broken by breaking the object or ‘block’ that they are inscribed upon. Doing so will very rarely produce a lootable Runestone of the corresponding type. Lastly, Runestones will stop the regeneration of a world within a one ‘block’ radius all around them.

----------------------------------------------When the boots just won’t cut it----------------------------------------------

Be of air, earth, and water. Be of all.

Boats--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally you need to cross large bodies of water and swimming simply will not cut it. This is where boats come in. Constructed of wood, they come in two sizes: small and guild. Small boats are personal transit vessels, much like a canoe or kayak. Guild ships can carry a party of 16 but are piloted by a single player.

Gliders------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you wish to descend from great heights safely, a glider is often required. Using these will slow your descent, allowing you to cover large distances slowly but safely.

Flight Stone-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some may find the rare artifacts of the Oortians known as Flight Shards. These can be reconstructed into flight stones, allowing for free flight for a short period of time before being gently lowered down to the terrain below you. Raising yourself is controlled by the Spacebar input and lowering yourself by the Shift input. Horizontal motion is controlled by the WASD inputs.

-----------------------------------------------------In the Event of Death------------------------------------------------------

Life eternal. Eternally You.

Death is rarely permanent in Oorta thanks to the magical wonders of Oorta and in no small part to the Oortians. In the eventuality that you die, you will find yourself transported to the nearest Marker, Portal Node, or Beacon that you have interacted with. What comes with you is dependent on the Tier of the world.

Lower Tiers will conserve your entire inventory. Mid-level Tiers will allow you to keep only your equipment, both equipped and unequipped. Higher Tiers are quite turbulent and will not conserve any of your inventory on death, only what is equiped on your person.

On death all of your inventory that is lost will drop around where you were slain. If you are quick enough you can reclaim these items so long as they were in a safe location. (Not lava.) To aid in this pursuit, you are often granted the Lightened condition upon re-spawn.

======================================================The Wise Merchant============ =========================================

Welcome back, dear reader! I hope you enjoyed that excerpt, I can’t seem to make too much sense of it. Ah, but no bother, let us move on. I have below compiled another list used by artisans the worlds over to describe their wares!

Weapons of the Worlds--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melee based Weapons:

• Dagger has a range of one block and an increased strike speed compared to the shortsword and does more damage but cannot be used to block effectively. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Sickle has a range of one block and an increased strike speed compared to the Dagger but does less damage. However, it can be used to block. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Short Sword has a range of one block and an increased strike speed compared to a longsword, but does less damage. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Longsword has a range of one block strikes at a normal speed for a normal amount of damage. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Claymore has a range of two blocks and strikes at a slower speed for a larger amount of damage compared to the Longsword. Must be held in both hands and thus prohibits the use of a second weapon. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Quarterstaff has a range of two blocks and strikes at a normal speed for a normal amount of damage that also pushes enemies back, but must be held in two hands. Has a chance to Cripple.

• Spear has a range of two blocks and strikes with a faster speed compared to the Quarterstaff and does more damage, but does not push enemies back and must be held in two hands. Has a chance to cause Bleeding or Cripple.

• Halberd has a range of two blocks and strikes with a slower movement than the quarterstaff but deals a much larger amount of damage. Does not push enemies back and must be held in two hands. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Scythe has a range of two blocks and strikes with a faster speed than the Spear but deals the same damage as a longsword. However, has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Club has a slow attack speed but deals a large amount of damage with a chance to Cripple.

• Mace has a slower attack speed than the Club but deals a larger amount of damage with a chance to Cripple.

• Warhammer has a slower attack speed than the Mace but deals a larger amount of damage with a chance to Cripple.

• Knuckle has the fastest attack speed of melee weapons but offers almost no blocking. However, has a chance to Cripple.

• Claw has a fast attack speed and moderate damage output, but almost no blocking ability. However, has a chance to cause Bleeding

• Chakram has a fast attack speed with a normal damage output, but almost no blocking ability. However, has a chance to cause Bleeding.

Ranged Weapons:

• Slingshot has a maximum range of 30 blocks, small damage output, but a fast attack speed. Has a chance to Cripple.

• Bow has a maximum range of 65 blocks, normal damage output, and a normal attack speed. Must be used with both hands. Has a chance to cause Bleeding.

• Crossbow has a maximum range of 85 blocks, the largest damage output, but the slowest attack speed. Must be used with both hands.

• Sling has a maximum range of 30 blocks, a large damage output, but a slow attack speed.

• Boomerang has a normal damage output, but returns to the user immediately after striking.

• Chain has a range of 10 blocks, low attack speed, but can Slow enemies. Must be used with both hands.

• Throwing Knives have a range of 10 blocks, are the fastest of the ranged weapons but have a small damage output.

Magical Foci:

• Red Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict fire damage that may cause Burning.

• Red Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict fire damage that may cause Burning. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Red Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict fire damage that may cause Burning.

• Orange Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to summon small orbs that draw the attention of hostile entities.

• Orange Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to summon small orbs that draw the attention of hostile entities. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Orange Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to summon small orbs that draw the attention of hostile entities.

• Yellow Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict lightning damage that can cause Weakness.

• Yellow Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict lightning damage that can cause Weakness. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Yellow Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict lightning damage that can cause Weakness.

• Green Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict earthen damage that can Cripple.

• Green Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict earthen damage that can Cripple. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Green Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict earthen damage that can Cripple.

• Blue Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict water damage that can cause Bleeding.

• Blue Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict water damage that can cause Bleeding. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Blue Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict water damage that can cause Bleeding.

• Indigo Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict ice damage that can cause an enemy to become Frozen.

• Indigo Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict ice damage that can cause an enemy to become Frozen. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Indigo Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict ice damage that can cause an enemy to become Frozen.

• Violet Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to make an entity believe another entity is you.

• Violet Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to make an entity believe another entity is you. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Violet Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to make an entity believe another entity is you.

• Pink Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to turn hostile entities of lower level than yourself docile, except for Titans!

• Pink Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to turn hostile entities of lower level than yourself docile, except for Titans! However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Pink Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to turn hostile entities of lower level than yourself docile, except for Titans!

• Brown Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to grow vines that ensnare entities, causing them to be Fatigued.

• Brown Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to grow vines that ensnare entities, causing them to be Fatigued. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Brown Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to grow vines that ensnare entities, causing them to be Fatigued.

• White Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to heal others and yourself.

• White Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to heal others and yourself. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• White Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to heal others and yourself.

• Black Scroll has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to drain the Will and Health of hostile entities.

• Black Book has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to drain the Will and Health of hostile entities. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Black Tablet has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to drain the Will and Health of hostile entities.

• Lute has a fast attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict Haste.

• Flute has a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict Haste. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Drum has a slow attack speed but has a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict Haste.

• Shells have a fast attack speed wit but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict Slow.

• Chimes have a moderate attack speed but no defense ability and it grants the ability to inflict Slow. However, they have longer lasting effects by at least 10%.

• Bells have a slow attack speed with Dance but have a moderate defense capability and it grants the ability to inflict Slow.

Armors of the Worlds-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of armors applies to every piece: Head, Chest, Legs, Hands, and Feet. Armors go up in Damage Mitigation but decrease in an equal amount of movement speed. Their order goes thusly:

• Cloth Armor

• Hide Armor

• Plate Armor

Tools of the Worlds-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a variety of tools that have been developed over the years with the following functions:

• Shovels are the ideal choice of tool for harvesting dirt, gravel, snow, and the like.

• Picks are the ideal choice of tool for harvesting stone, ore, clay, and the like.

• Grappling Hooks are the ideal choice of tool for reaching high places and scaling long distances.

• Bags are the ideal choice of tool for storing equipable items and improve your capacity to carry such.

• Backpacks are the ideal choice of tool for storing material essences and improve your capacity to carry such.

• Satchels are the ideal choice of tool for storing ores, artifacts, recipes, gems, and the like and allow you to carry more such items.

• Pouches increase overall carrying capacity slightly, and add a little more room in each inventory category.

• Scopes allow for access to the Mini-map.

• Traveller’s Sphere allows for the use of the Map and Star Map menus.

Baubles and the Like-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a variety of baubles that improve already impressive abilities, but they are categorized into two categories: necklaces and bracelets.

Necklaces:

• Amulets improves your Health regeneration.

• Pendants improve your Will regeneration.

• Medallions improve your Damage Mitigation.

Bracelets:

• Bands improve your Health regeneration.

• Beads improve your Will regeneration.

• Bucklers improve your Damage Mitigation.

Consumables---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consumables are those items which aid in your pursuits but are only able to be used once. There are various forms: potions, poisons, food, and drink.

• Potions improve your ability to advance in different skills and regain Health or Will in a magnitude equal to the potion’s quality.

• Poisons can be applied to weapons for one strike which places the Poisoned effect on a stricken entity of a magnitude equal to the poison’s quality.

• Food can be used to restore Endurance and a bit of Health in a magnitude equal to the food’s quality.

• Drink can be used to restore Endurance and a bit of Will in a magnitude equal to the drink’s quality.

Furnishings------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will undoubtedly want to furnish those buildings you construct to make your house a home. I have compiled a list of all the furnishing I’ve come across in my travels:

Storage:

• Chests small enough to fit in a corner to large enough to take up a room.
  • Armoires
  • Safes of many makes.
  • Coffers
  • Urns
  • Jars

Resting Pieces:

• Beds both large and small
  • Chairs
  • Couches
  • Benches
  • Stools

Display:

• Tables
  • Shelves
  • Stands
  • Display Cases

Comforts:

• Openable windows
  • Desks
  • Carpets and rugs
  • Banners
  • Statues, Trophies, Paintings, and Models

Light Sources:

• Torches
  • Lamps
  • Candelabras
  • Jars of Bio-luminescent life.

Interactable Objects:

• Bulletin and Chalk Boards
  • Writable scrolls, books, and tablets
  • Mailboxes and Display Cases
  • Guestbooks
  • Druidic Altar
  • Transmogrification Table
  • Refinery
  • Essence Forge
  • Survivalist Bench

Raw Materials---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw materials are the components of any recipe and are broken up into Tiers like so:

Tier 1:

Materials: Linen, Rawhide, Copper, Ash
Gems: Rough Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Rough ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 2:

Materials: Cotton, Fur, Bronze, Birch
Gems: Coarse Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Coarse ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 3:

Materials: Silk, Leather, Brass, Elm
Gems: Decent Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Decent ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 4:

Materials: Rich Linen, Fine Hide, Gold, Hickory
Gems: Base Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Base ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 5:

Materials: Rich Cotton, Fine Fur, Iron, Maple
Gems: Fine Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Fine ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 6:

Materials: Rich Silk, Fine Leather, Steel, Oak
Gems: Rich Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Rich ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 7:

Materials: Pristine Linen, Pristine Hide, Orichalum, Walnut
Gems: Pristine Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Pristine ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 8:

Materials: Pristine Cotton, Pristine Fur, Silver, Willow
Gems: Pure Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Pure ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 9:

Materials: Pristine Silk, Pristine Leather, Mythril, Rowan
Gems: Brilliant Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Brilliant ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 10:

Materials: Old Oortcloth, Old Oortleather, Old Oortmetal, Old Oortbranch
Gems: Oorttouched Emerald, Jade, Sapphire, Lapis, Topaz, Quartz, Garnet, Jet, Amethyst
Runes: Oorttouched ROYGBIV, P, Br, W, Bl Runes

Tier 10+:

Materials: ???
Gems: ???
Runes: ???

========================================= =============Magical Wonders============= =========================================

In addition to items, I have compiled a list of magical constructs that are commonly used in Oorta, written in the terms of the artisans. I hope you enjoy it!

Runes-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runes are created through combining Colored Oort Shards at a Transmogrification Table to create a Rune of the corresponding color. Greater Runes require more Colored Oort Shards.

• Red Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional fire damage that has a chance to cause Burning. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Burning condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Red Oort Shards.

• Orange Rune , when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional summoned entities that draw damage from enemies. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Maddened condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Orange Oort Shards.

• Yellow Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional lightning damage that has a chance to Weaken. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Weakened condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Yellow Oort Shards.

• Green Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional earthen damage that has a chance to Cripple. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Crippled condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Green Oort Shards.

• Blue Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional water damage that has a chance to cause Bleeding. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Bleeding condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Blue Oort Shards.

• Indigo Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional ice damage that has a chance to cause the Frozen condition. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Frozen condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Indigo Oort Shards.

• Violet Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional damage for when an attack is made while stealthed and undetected. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Fear condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Violet Oort Shards.

• Brown Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional nature damage that has a chance to cause the Slowed condition. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Slowed condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Brown Oort Shards.

• Pink Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional infatuatory damage that has a chance to cause the Docile condition. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Docile condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Pink Oort Shards.

• White Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional healing potency. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Sick condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested White Oort Shards.

• Black Rune, when added to equipment does a variety of things. On weapons, it adds additional entropic damage that has a chance to cause the Drained condition. On armor, it adds a resistance to the Drained condition. On tools it increases the yield of harvested Black Oort Shards.

Gems--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very rarely while mining you may find yourself to happen upon a Gem. These magnificent stones can be applied to equipment to enhance your own and your equipment’s abilities. Higher Tier Gems are found on higher Tier worlds.

• Emerald, when applied to equipment the durability of the equipment increases.

• Jade, when applied to equipment your Health increases.

• Sapphire, when applied to equipment all actions such as attacking, sprinting, or harvesting take less Will.

• Lapis, when applied to equipment your Will increases.

• Topaz, when applied to equipment all Speeds in using those items increase.

• Quartz, when applied to equipment all healing received is increased.

• Garnet, when applied to equipment improves Damage Mitigation.

• Jet, when applied to equipment very slightly improves Health and Will regeneration.

• Amethyst, when applied to equipment improves skill advancement.

Seedforging-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The flora of Oorta is an amazing form of life, and you, too can seek to improve it. This is done through Seedforging at a Druidic Altar. Among flora there are a variety of attributes that determine just what a plant is. These attributes are:

• Flora Type
  • Color
  • Alchemic Effect

Thus, by bringing two types of flora to a Druidic Altar, you can have a chance to create a new seed with the desired attributes. Note that this might often take several tries and you will not know of your success until the flora has fully matured.

Brewing-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using different materials at a Transmogrification Table can occasionally lead to the creation of potions and poisons. Potions can have a variety of effects, such as:

• Increasing the rate at which a skill line advances for a period of time relative to the potion’s quality.

• Regain Health in an amount relative to the potion’s quality.

• Regain Will in an amount relative to the potion’s quality.

Poisons, on the other hand, do the opposite of the above.

========================================= ==============Companionship============== =========================================

Alas, in your travels you may find yourself quite alone, or perhaps you simply do not desire the company of other adventurers. This is the prime place for companions, those creatures who will follow you to the ends of the worlds.

Herd Animals----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most common type of companion is the herd animal, being found on both farm and wildland. These beings will assist you in carrying your items, and even yourself if they are large enough. Lastly they can be slain quite deftly for the materials found on their being, and so many a rancher will keep flocks of herd animals to ensure there is food for the cold days.

Herd animals do not need to be tamed, instead following you so long as you have food that they desire.

Pets and Taming-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A more versatile companion can be found in the pet, a being that can be chosen from all of the creatures that reside in Oorta, save the Protectors, of course! These pets will not carry your burdens or you, but they will aid in defending you, drawing the attention of hostile enemies and attacking those that you attack.

Taming them can be a very arduous process, especially if they are naturally hostile. Largely, though, it consists of feeding them what they most commonly eat, which will distract them if they are actively pursuing you. Over time, they will grow to trust you and eventually they will be your companion, following you wherever you go until you tell them to stop. Be careful you do not leave them for too long in a regenerative location, though, else they’ll turn wild again!

There is no limit to the number of companions you can have, but vastly different types do not tend to agree with each other, no matter what you do. These will undoubtable lead to confrontations where only one pet will survive.

Breeding----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like flora, fauna can also be breed for the ideal characteristics at a Druidic Altar. All fauna have the following attributes:

• Fauna Type
  • Color
  • Attack Type

Thus, by bringing two fauna to a Druidic Altar, you can have a chance to create a new fauna with the desired properties in the form of an egg. Once hatched, you will know how successful you were in the Breeding process.

Mount Storage-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating storage containers for a mount is a rewarding process, and can be accessed as easily as any stationary container. However, these are only as mobile as either the mount or the terrain, so long trips in a caravan wagon will require many detours to continue on a straight and somewhat level road.

Luckily, herd animals that have been given storage are more receptive to following you even without the enticement of food and will even stop when you tell them to!

1 Like

Holy WOW!!
How long have you been working on this?
Clear, concise and in depth (even the spelling). Can’t wait for the placeholder info!
Consult or hire @Umajianu for the lore and back story of Oort.

1 Like

Hey there!

Glad you like what I’ve done so far, it has just been a hobby I’ve been working on since the first of the year. I do indeed have stuff to post in the placeholder sections, just need to have the time to format them so they are easier to read in these forums.

Thanks again, all of this is provided voluntarily!

Almost there, just two final sections!

1 Like

Then, in the final hours of light, the work was complete.

Please let me know your thoughts and any improvements you would make!

3 Likes

Just to be clear, is this all fan fiction work or do you have back story info that we’ve not seen yet?

2 Likes

Fan fiction, I know only as much as the next adventurer.

I do, however, use a lot of already known info and extrapolate upon that.

2 Likes

And you do a damn fine job of it! That’s why I was unsure if you knew something the rest of us didn’t! Fine work!

2 Likes