A Pixelator? (+Suggestions)

Good day Oortians!

Having a huge box of a house, I thought I’d add some game art to make it more interesting (it’s an 18 x 7 plots wall iirc).
Is there an easy pixelating website/app that preferrably uses the color palette of the game? I tried using some online ones but they weren’t as user-friendly.

While we’re at it, I would be thankful for any art suggestions that are fit for a cover of the game - something that captures the essence of the game in a single frame. I wanted to add some landscape that has all the creatures of the game in it each doing its own thing but it’d be obsolete if they add new creatures.

Something like this is awesome but with more of the game and its creatures and less of player-made structures:

Devs, you’re be more than welcome to share some amazing game art because let’s be honest no one has better Boundless art than you guys! :smiley: This might even inspire people working on the Pixelart contest!

Thanks!

Edit: In case it helps, here is the wall with a serp gleam block for size comparison xD.

2 Likes

I think the problem with the image you have there, although it is indeed awesome, is that your wall isn’t big enough to convey the detail. Essentially you have the space for 144x56 pixel art so if I were you I’d look at pixelating a single critter or a simple scene.

4 Likes

Ah right i didnt think of the quality. I guess i can cram more pixels in but that would take away from the quality. I don’t mind removing the characters and the background. A simple scene with all the animals showing in a frame would be sufficient for me.

I see @almund typing :smile: … I was just about to suggest he might have some insight after this post

You can double size with square chiseling, if you can find tool that splices pic to tiles that is using two color system. Something like zx spectrum :smiley:

Also i believe you can increase the “degree” of pixelation. You lose quality but can fit bigger pictures.

I created palette file that is based on colors from Nevir has extracted from game.
Here are links for colors. I can send gimp palette file (gpl), which is based on this data, if you want it on discord.

Then I just reduced colors on Aseprite to match with palette (indexed mode). Saved it to PCX and read image file and construct it with lua in creative.

1 Like

aka a full block, with square-chiselled half-thickness layer infront so each 2x2 “pixels” can have at most 2 colours at a time.

or go deeper, and make it 3 blocks thick so you can have a deeper third layer for 3 colours in each 2x2 pixels…

mix in some tinted glass to get inbetween colours too :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You could also use precise square chiseled blocks in front of the art to fake-quadruple your resolution

I feel lost xD

1 Like

This picture is awesome. How come I forgot it!? It has wide open areas, portals, creatures, Oortians, meteors, etc… basically everything about this game. I did pixelate it but it idk how to go about building it xD. Plus, the word “Boundless” would better be removed. Devs, do we have this without the the word Boundless on top?

Shameless plug: check out @minyi’s amazing art on her website! https://www.minyiofficial.com/sketches

That’s the harvest one, the OG is probably there too

4 Likes

You could edit some planet over like for example this :smiley:
7-indexed

3 Likes

I actually did cut the picture - helps reduce its size so it fits too. I even pixelated it to fit the wall but it felt like too much work to have to know the individual color of the pixels myself especially with all the crazy shades.

Well in photoshop at least you can construct a palette with the 255 Boundless colors. Then you can change the image to indexed color and apply the palette. But you’d need to make the palette first, unless it already exists.

Ask @Cuetzpalomitl? He may have done this already.

A “shortcut” way to do it would be to take an image with all 255 boundless colors in it and convert it to a gif. Then change the image resolution to the desired size, and paste your image on top. Presto, indexed color!

1 Like

You see the titan concepts on minyi’s site? They look pretty awesome. Not to mention all the other talented work posted there.

1 Like