A tool/enchant for block placing

I’m certain this has been considered before, but this is genuinely one of the things that is holding me from returning to the game at the time - It’s just way too time-consuming to place tens of thousands of stones by hand, one by one.
Instead, I suggest either a tool, or enchant usable within plots only - One that places an entire plot layer at a time, with as many of X resources you have selected in the tool, and available to place down.

This would mean you can place an entire 16x16x1 layer of let’s say Marble, with a click of a button. It would make large-scale builds a lot easier, at least in my opinion.

4 Likes

If it is even something that is possible with the current iteration of the game this would be a game changer.

Would be awesome.

1 Like

its a great QOL idea.

1 Like

Blueprint would fix that and be usefull in other cases

4 Likes

Blueprints have been an ask since, … well, forever, so absolutely yes to those. :+1: (If implemented well)

However they would not “fix that” with new builds at all. Separate functionality.

EDIT:
I think something along the lines of this Satisfactory mod is what we’re talking about.
(Though obviously Boundless doesn’t allow free-placement of blocks, so it would have to snap to block alignments)

I mean if you max out (dex i think) block placement speed, you can get 50 blocks placed in like 10 seconds… Maybe less if you’re using a high precision mouse.

1 Like

I’ve wanted something like a Builder’s Wand in modded Minecraft for a very long time. I think an enchant would fit perfectly.

1 Like

Yeah, but I know I’ve personally placed at least 200,000 stones…by hand…that are now needing to be replaced.

That’s uh…lots. Well, that and it’s hard to keep hitting perfectly with such a task, so I have to go remove a few ones every now and then.

1 Like

Fair enough :stuck_out_tongue:

The best voxel game blueprint mechanics I have ever used was a machine being placed next to a build with a scalable ghost frame so you could see what was being copied. Small, medium and large allowed you to pick which type to use.

You then activated the machine and it imprinted that space.

You could share these via Steam workshop by hunting through blueprints, subscribing and then using a build block that once activated showed a ghost of where each block goes.

They eventually got around to auto fill, which I hated. I wanted to place each block to see HOW it was done. That’s how I learned to build better in voxel games.

There is even a function to purchase every block needed inside the build block. Or you provided your own.

You could also select individual blocks inside the ghost frame and change it to something else. So they were very versatile.

Totally the best blueprint system I have ever used. And I’m not very intuitive about game mechanics. I encouraged others to use the blueprints because if I could figure them out, anyone could.

I have not named the game or used their specific system item names on purpose. If you’re interested in which game, ask me via in game chat or discord.

If it’s horizontal and there’s nothing under the block you can always place a single line under were you can see the blocks that you wanna place across Distance 9 blocks if maxed skill and then stand on that block tilt to the right or left of the block facing the blocks were you wanna replace and just walk to the side depending on your block placement speed get it done pretty fast

(In bad at explaining what I do)

I agree that it’s fine for high level players with multiple maxed characters but I remember building to be so incredibly tedious in the early stages when my points were distributed for hunting and survivability on my singular character. Now I have a dedicated builder character which helps but it would still be nice to have some sort of fill functionally.

I once built a large floating base and just putting down the base layer of glass took me several days. It didn’t garnish me with a vast amount of xp or prestige - it only depleted my food reserves and burnt me out of playing, resulting in a break form the game.

Aenea taught me how to get around this. If you have short reach, or you’re high enough to not place on the ground, you can just place them at your feet as you walk. I use creep to keep from falling off, but you can do walls from the top and floors too. Very quickly.

I frequently get off track but this works well too. If it’s a long area I’ll just walk backwards and fill them row by row.

2 Likes

Aye, sadly mine is a floating piece, since I’m building the ceiling of a massive cave.

It’s definitely taking a lot to place it, but still. Right now, I’m more waiting to see what’s going to happen with the game going forward, before I go back to such a commitment. :joy:

Unless I’m misunderstanding how you go about this, creeping is not required if you have just the right amount of block speed vs normal walking speed. This is how I do the floating outline of sections at my pyramid base. And then I actually stop doing that and dual wield the same block and use both at the same time to place “faster” in a line.

Difficult to explain but I could show/make a video, if it would help someone.