A way to make hunting super interesting

Colorful gleam is cool, right? Orange gleam, green gleam, red gleam.
Have you even seen a blue grass?
Or pink leaves you could use for your japanese garden?

My suggestion is to make tier 5 mobs rarely drop rare items like blue grass seeds, pink leaves or gleam.
To make these materials even more valuable and attract more people to hunting why not make tier 5 mobs drop

• Gleam shards(10 needed to make 1 unrefined gleam) instead of gleam blocks,
  • Colorful Leaves(10 needed to make one block) instead of whole blocks
  • Seeds, well you need 4 in total to make tall grass on one block.
  • Maybe small crystals for other variations of gem torches?
  • Ancient stone formations for some uncraftable decorative blocks?

In my opinion rare tints are valuable for builders and hunting would be a nice way to gather these rare materials. It would also make hunting important.

Psst an avarage spitter eats everything on it’s way and that’s why it drops fossils, gems etc :smiley:

PS increase mob spawning rate

15 Likes

With the recent rewarding system and your suggestion, it made me realize how we can make Hunters viable. I was so restricted drops being part of the creature like meat, bone, etc. (I also blame minecraft like we all do!).

Currently, early game hunters’ only way to gain income is to sell those drops though unfortunately, there isn’t much demand for them. I’m thinking that even on starter planets, we can have those additional drops like soft coal, copper ore, etc. cause these are the things that are in demand.

My Story:
I recently started a hunter character but got turned off eventually due to lack of mob and more importantly, lack of demand for meat, bone, etc. I then rushed to higher tier world (level 8 by this time). I can kill some lvl 2s and get some more valuable drops but at this low level, I understand it’s not efficient and hard so I stopped.
(Side rant: I can kill them somewhat easily but I usually got the “Returning to Sanctum” and mobs shoot at my helplessly static character and I die… with those freshly invested higher tier slingbows and costing a lot of money to kick start my hunter career :frowning: ).

Anyway, I’m back to mining cause that’s the only viable option for now until I can kill higher tiered mobs easier.

Other insights:

• Gold slingbows are underpowered. I prefer using my copper one for faster rate, damage, range, etc. The multiple shots doesn’t really help me that much.
  • As a currently level 9 character with Power III skill, I’m mining on the most dangerous worlds cause it’s more rewarding and efficient even if blocks have higher hit points. I hope the Hunter (forgot the name) mob will change this eventually cause I believe I shouldn’t be here.
3 Likes

I’d just like to see a close to viable system…

As it stands 5000+ kills for a level on mobs that “might” spawn every 2 mins is not even close… people have lives, jobs other things to do other than no life grinding a building/crafting game just to get into the building / crafting… wtf.

You’re doing this wrong Boundless, you have three grinding systems in your game the XP Grind, Item Grind (gather blocks for building) and the Gear grind… all of this is blocking you from the game (building/crafting).

People don’t put 1000s of hours into Minecraft because they have to.

1 Like

This is not just a build/crafting game, there’s people who play, without ever considering building or crafting.

They just want to do something else, if the need arises, they’ll be building or crafting something. Builders will be able to sell blueprints or sell or make houses for others. You don’t need to hunt for materials. Someone else can provide them.

6 Likes

I’m an economy player. I love running a shop and doing the grinding side (which I find calm and relaxing). There’s a good variety to it already which will be increasing soon.

That said, I totally agree that gaining XP at the moment is way too harsh. I’m really hoping that contracts are introduced soon or they buff it till then - it impedes all playstyles.

The gear grind is currently a bit too easy IMO - most end-game players stay on gem tools nearly permanently. This depreciates the market for many of the materials. The new increased drops still need to impact the economy in full - hopefully this will increase the gap and make the mid-tier materials more useful.

5 Likes

Yep… Anyway… I’m talking about the main the main demographic… the people that make you money…

Sure. its a big bad MMORPG with loads of other things to do… @Dzchan94 get back to me when that’s a thing.

i’m explaining a problem with the system as it is now and the problems this well bring even when the MMO or the RPG part is added in… the people here my god… even describing the game as a building game can fly a topic off the rails…
I’m talking about hunting xp.

Adding three grinding systems to anything is crazy let alone the amount needed in this case…

i see what you mean… but really? Its to easy… if “endgame” was still an eye bleeding grind to stay on gem tools what’s the point?
Why do people want good tools? to make the game less of a grind…
You’re using tools to gather blocks to build with… you know… the epic MMORPG point of the game.

Sorry if I somehow offended - was just giving my opinion. I’m just trying to point out that not everyone plays the game for the same reasons. That’s also why there are skill trees and roles - to let everyone specialize. If your epic point to the game is building (and you feel that this is all the game is about), great! Enjoy that aspect.

This thread is actually about making hunting more interesting with more loot variety and I love that idea. It will really help encourage a completely different playstyle (combat) and help make trade and the economy (which I like) so much more viable. The recent bumps in loot for combat has really upped the fun in fighting and the amount of people doing it - this should help it on even more.

3 Likes

No… not at all… i just don’t see why things should not get easy at “endgame” when that main point is to build something to enjoy…

1 Like

I think it’s all okay guys. Gem tools are not the easiest ones to obtain but not hard either. Remember there is one more tier of tools comming in the future.

6 Likes

Anyway… getting back to the point of the OP

Yes i’m %100 on this idea.

However the XP for hunting is completely broken.

Exactly :slight_smile: The tool progression doesnt stop at gems. Rift, blink and dark matter are all still to come too.

Additionally, there will be the forge, which will be used to apply attributes to weapons and tools as well, so there will be more variation in their capabilities too.

I don’t think it’s completely broken, but it does still require more balancing.

3 Likes

Balance.

This is obvious, however to point out something more obvious, is that in its current state the hunting system XP is completely broken.

…the point i was making.

When did I forget about the builders or crafters in the game? Builders have already built and sold houses, received materials to make stuff that’s already in game, examples of those are cookviper selling his home, havok selling his place on Vulpto, etc. The Oort Temple in Pixel Gate was built thanks to the donations of not only materials, but plots. There’s actually no need to grind for materials, when you can buy them for cheap. If you build nice things, people will come and visit, making you earn footfall. Thus earning you money to continue building.

You don’t need levels to start building. You can build from level 1, only difference is how much control or dexterity you will have invested in game. Other than that, give a man a blueprint and the materials and everyone can build the same, some easier than others, but it’s the same end result.

I know many players who were interested in this game, who haven’t played minecraft, they don’t want to build, they may want a nice house, but they’ll may try to get other people to do it for them. They came from WOW or other RPG’s. Progression is being worked at the moment. Rome wasn’t build in a day. And any of the games with good progression systems, have been fine tuning them for ages, and yet can’t appease the masses.

Devs are not designing a game for only crafters or builders, we’re designing a game for all types of players. End game for a builder may be capital city or the most visited or popular build. End game for a hunter will be titans, End game for a crafter will be branded goods. An economist will want the most busy shop. A guild or leader will want the biggest group or the closest group of friends they can have.

Take me for example. I love building, but I haven’t deviated from crafting and woodcutting and the things I like to do when it comes to skill points. I haven’t invested a single point in control, as I don’t deem it worth it. And have invested in dexterity as it helps me deal with woodcutting, I use iron tools, the only luxury I give myself are gem grapples, but truly are just a luxury and could handle myself with other stuff.

When you focus all your resources to appeal one group, you end up disatisfying the rest. Building isn’t even skill locked. A level 1 builder isn’t really locked from creating a masterpiece, it will take longer, but it’s bearable.

Hunters have seen some improvement to their job in the recent patches. With more creatures coming, it should be improved. Maybe it’s not a question of increasing spawn rate, when more mobs come that you need to deal with. But that’s a matter to be tackled when it comes.

2 Likes

I don’t think you got @Dzchan94 right. Beside building and crafting, trading and mining/gathering are completely viable paths as we speak. You can collect raw resources such as rocks, soils, wood, and sell them to other players. So, it’s not just building and crafting right now. Currently only hunters and explorers don’t have too much benefit from playing only those roles, but that will come :slight_smile:

I don’t see how there are three grinding systems, at least I don’t see the game play as such. XP grind, yeah it’s a bit slowish (or plain joy killing) on lower levels. I don’t get what you mean by item grind and gear grind?

Well you’re not explaining well what you mean. No need for such toxic wording. People are fine here, don’t worry about people, just put your thoughts into understandable format.

How do you mean when MMO part is added? Even Slither.io is considered MMO.
RPG part is also present, you can have different roles already.

4 Likes

I was thinking about maybe letting hunters skin animals.

This will bring content locking to the game or maybe it can be toned down so hunters get more benefit.

This will mean when you approach a dead body, hunters have the option to skin the bodies, making them get furs or tentacles, feathers, etc from creatures. That can be then used to make craftables such as wearables or the totem poles posted some time ago by Minyi. GIving hunters not only the benefit of getting a chance from increased loot (by investing skill points in the activity) but also the benefit of getting rare drops or the higher rate of getting rare drops from mobs.

People who haven’t invested in the skinning skill, might get a lower chance or get a lower quality drop.

This could also be bypassed completely and just made it so drops start dropping items and resources like the mentioned above. But I think that if possible, skinning will bring much more depth to the job of hunting.

5 Likes

That’s the point i’m making.

gear grind = tools weapons

item grind = the blocks you build with

I always worry about people… always… its a me thing…

Anyway when i say anything about this being a building game, or only point out a main part of the game being Building/Crafting

People are quick jump on the “but its so much more” band wagon but have nothing to say about the OP… frustrating as hell…

Unfortunately, it was a point not very well made. “Completely broken” implies that it does not work at all - it does work… you get XP… it’s just not balanced (I can link you the definition of the word completely if you like).

With semantics out of the way, how do you feel that it’s broken? Is it not enough XP per kill? Are the kills too easy, or too hard? Not enough creatures to kill? Durability on weapons too high compared to XP for kills? Just saying something is broken, without any additional context as to why, does not help it to get fixed. Offer an idea - draft out what you think the XP gain per creature should be.

3 Likes

Sure, you know very well the point that was being made… but hay that’s ok Stretchious, attack away.

Love the people here.

Ok yes semantics out of the way,

- Not enough XP per kill, therefore in comparison to the other XP systems in the game of Boundless, it feels “Completely broken”

It would do you very good to learn the difference of this forum with others. We don’t ever attack people, or most won’t. We discuss ideas and things talked on here. DIscuss.

Taking things to an extreme or just outraging at something from your frustrations is wrong. It doesn’t really help get the point across and doesn’t offer much in terms on what to do about it and how to work on it and solve it.

When you start one sidedly reprimanding members of the community, don’t expect them not to argue the points and bring in ideas for what you’re actually making a mistake about.

Without considering completely and just broken. One could say it’s either too much exp or too little exp, without even pondering that deep.

Saying yes or no helps. Saying why helps further, explaining viable ways and bringing it suggestions taking into the account the game and the devs goal, helps that much more.

If you care enough to make posts saying why don’t you like something, then be sure to back it up and help the devs and others understand what you mean, This isn’t a verbal/text fight. For example, @OmniUno makes clear points to what respects to economic changes happening to the game. Devs have an idea of what he means and where he’s coming from, that helps them set the pace for the next patches and bring solution to his points.

4 Likes

Dzchan, i understand… and yes i care enough to make posts about why something is bad imo…
I like what this game could be and want it to be worth peoples time.

However if you look at my OP Omni is the only person to discuss the content of hunting and bring up his/her veiw on the topic…

> Feeling like the new guy on the block and people start picking you apart because you don't like something they do..

Dzchan your post : Make sure to explain to me its not just a crafting game… not the point i was intending to highlight, sorry if the OP seamed otherwise…

Stretchious’s post : Dismissing my statement due to correctness, then going on to belittle it further to stroke his own ego by stating.

In Australia we call this being a C word, because he can.

Meanwhile we have Spoygg moving in to White Knight on the MMORPG Defense missing the point of when and or why the reason for such “toxic?” wording…

Dzchan from my side of the fence this is not an inviting place.