About them tree sapling

You know,… I said it once already… but I would really like to have the possibility to grow some kind of wood nearby my houses to feel more at home.

I know it might be bit more complicated since we have in game many different shapes of trees, but can’t we give each group of shape some name just like in minecraft for example, gathering them seed or saplings while farming off trees and being able to place our very own little sapling into our garden to grow some boundless-unique tree?

That wish comes a long way kinda - back in the days of minecraft I had an unfinished project where I created my very own island block by block on water and created some lakes, bridge, and very nice wood. Never got finished because I played back then with my family and was kinda bound to what they play, so my project got abandoned. I moved in boundless from Gellis to Raxxa. Plotted some nice place but somehow I miss the hills and would like to have some wood. Hills can be created, but building a dozen of trees to create a wood :cold_sweat: I’m not that talented and that would take ages!
See, my wish for that kind of nature is strong. I’m a German, even more important I’m a Bavarian living in the Netherlands. Here are no woods nearby, and hills are not to be found. Flatland can be nice, but I miss what I used to call ‘home’ - bringing that kind of thing into the game would allow us oortlings to feel more at home - no matter which planet we are living on. Wouldn’t that be great? I believe in the concept - being boundless and not being stopped by any limits.

#save_the_trees, #place_the_trees, #saplings_for_free, #create_your_own_wood, #be_boundless_be_awesome, #boundless_our_home

:heart::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::palm_tree::herb::leaves:

3 Likes

This is one that I am fairly confident could be handled in a mod if we ever get the private server software. It wouldn’t be too hard to have some kind of small structure you build that the script detects is there and then spawns a procedurally generated tree in the spot. Should be reasonable to decide on colors based on the blocks you use, and maybe add some system for generating different structure styles based on world type and what blocks you use in the structure. It would likely require an external guide, but that’s normal for mods/custom servers.

Getting it in vanilla Boundless would be nice as well. Maybe if they can get that server software out, they could start crowdsourcing some features like this?

2 Likes

I think the problem could be to have a sapling in a specific color since a tree has foliage and wood, so there are millions of possibilities of combinations colorwise. For me the easy solution would just be, that the sapling adapts to the planet colors and just spawns in the colors of the planet, no matter where you place it. Just like water, if you solidify the water into ice, each planet has its own ice color and no matter where you got the water from, it always changes to the color of the planet you’re currently on

1 Like

haha, well, I’m imagining setting it up like, if you have a trunk with a leaf on top, and then throw a bucket of water on the ground, it grows into a tree, or something like that. I can’t remember if mods have access to chisel data, but maybe chiseling the trunk could affect the tree structure in some way.

Of course, if it was an actual new item made by the devs, I would go with exactly what you described. Color should be based on planet, design should be based on biome.

Transforming :hushed: that’s a great idea!!! :smiley: it would say for example coniferous tree as long it’s a sapling and when you place it and transform it, it becomes a broadleaf tree for example