Active defenses

Gotcha. Maybe whether I exit on the roof or off to the side is affected by the angle I leave the Sanctum at, which I’m never going to get around to a strategy for, so thank you too for the information coz I’m going to move my beacons into the yard or basement crop room with lots of clearance on all sides, etc.

If you make a small tunnel that is 2 blocks high by 1 block wide and log out at the end of it you will 99% of the time get bumped to the top. Not sure how long it has to be but around 8 blocks should do the trick

1 Like

When you log out, the sanctum portal brings you back to the exact same position. It places the 2x3 portal in the world facing the same way you logged out (it can randomly flip direction, aka rotate 180 degrees, but not 90). Since it’s 2 blocks wide and the stored coordinate is just a single point, the extra width always goes to the North or West side. If something is blocking that position, it’s Y coordinate is increased (so it’s moved up) until it finds a valid location. Signs, panes, half slabs etc all count as occupying the whole block and bump the portal.

So the safe way to log out is to have a block of free space on every side, a clean 3x3 cube for the portal to spawn.

I’m not sure about the rotation when opening the right side sanctum portal to some place, otherwise the same rules apply. The coordinates are just the beacon control instead of the log out position.

2 Likes

Thanks, both of you for helping me with some of the many deep and wonderful mysteries of the Oortiverse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not just have a central battery core that powers your entire build? I have no issue with it running off of oort.

1 Like

I guess I’m one of the few people who doesn’t use the sanctum portal. I carry warp stone with me everywhere I got and just use a 1x2 when I need to go somewhere. Not like it’s hard to craft. And if you go hunting, you can collect the warp stone. I have stacks of it in storage.

I haven’t run across a way to switch characters w/o passing through the Sanctum. That would be a cool forge tho.

Warp stone is a nice mellow light source for reading a map while avoiding aggro critters.

1 Like

Also, combined with other blocks, it can make a ceiling that looks like a starlit sky

1 Like

Hope this post isn’t too old and it still seems relevant. :slight_smile: I went to make this same suggestion, but searched this first. I want to add, in addition to turrets maybe living turrets you can grow? Maybe mulching them refuels them, having water nearby helps them grow just like with crops. I just really like plants :slight_smile: honestly think I’m remembering something from ARK too lol.

Without building an enclosed settlement I’m finding it hard sometimes to keep the cuttletrunks away from my visitor areas. It wouldn’t have to give drops or xp, just be able to work in a settlement at least and take care of only creatures in range. I noticed this showing my friend around my t3 town I had to be really attentive to the creatures and Im sure this would be very helpful on higher tier worlds.

1 Like

Honestly, the best idea in this thread that’d excite me way more is the protections that someone suggested that use lucent gems to provide atmosphere protection for people within the settlement.
It could work just like portals consuming oort shards where something like TNT hub could use blink shards, umbris shards or whatever in a protection slot for their beacon and it would protect the beacon’s plots from the level 1 caustic, being much cheaper since it’s level 1, similar to a smaller portal while areas with like level 5 potent would need a different lucent gem shard and would cost much more, the amount of plots within the beacon also deciding the cost per hour.

2 Likes

I want active defenses. I’d build a fortress on Alnitans :grinning:

1 Like