Add back original color palette planets like old Universe

I also do appreciate the explanation. As someone that primarily wants to build, the wider palette I have the better. I was very excited when we were shown the 255 colors in the palette. I had hoped to see a broad spectrum of rock colors spread across all the planets and not the very limited set we have been provided to this point.

I understand the possible future option of extracting color, but I have two issues with this. The color has to exist somewhere else and all it does is add more grind in order to get the block that I might want. I wish there was a better way to make colors available than adding more grind to the game.

Making people go to the higher tier planets to find something different is an interesting concept, but not one that I fully appreciate. I think it is very limiting to not offer more variety of colors on the starter worlds. I am getting bored pretty quickly with blue, green and purple and greys. especially the exact same colors on different planets. Making rock colors more difficult to mine and rarer seems anti-builder to me. We are not talking about gems, we are talking about common rocks. Maybe I am the only one that feels this way.

I am helping other people and guilds with builds. I keep hoping to have more variety of colors before even fully planning my own build. I am now more concerned than I was before that this may not happen.

2 Likes

Minorengle just came online and it has Oxide grey and Ashen blue both quite light, a step in the right direction!

More blue and grey. No red, brown, or tan. I will acknowledge that I had wanted blue in the old universe but this is getting ridiculous. Tons of shades in the same color does not make a wide or varied pallete in my opinion.

1 Like

This issue with this was the design approached things from a T1 - Tx model and not from a Server Zone issue. So it was only thought about from 1 dimension not multiple. When players travel to higher worlds things should feel like you are discovering new. But, when you go to a NEW starter planet (or any planet anywhere in any zone and any tier) from the one you started on, it should also feel like you discovered something new. And right now everything looks very much the same until you get to T5 or whatever.

You are cutting down on variability a lot here and tying color changes only to world progression via tiers. Not everyone plays that way. We need multi-dimensional type design, not flat progression.

This is a good idea but I am sure a lot of us fear that you will put this behind a cubit or some other payment gate. Please caution towards just a technology solution like another machine or something. Please.

1 Like

Flat progression is good for start, it probably can be improved, right now Iā€™d like to see some other things sorted out, and I donā€™t see that much issue that design is approached from Server Zone perspective. It makes sense since for example AU players will have lag on any other server, EU players will have lag on AU and US West, so it does make sense for players to spend more time in their zone. Also if you already know worlds of the same tier are similar in design you donā€™t have to visit them. It has merit for each T1 world to have different design, but that would devalue a bit higher tier worlds.

Maybe itā€™s subjective, but to me all the starter worlds look very different.
Even if they have all very earth like colors, they have different earthlike colors, different prefabs and different biomes.

I already helped two ps4 players to find a buddy on a different starter world and i always saw something new.

3 Likes

I think the value in the higher tier worlds are the resources such as plentiful iron, gems, gold, silver, titanium, thorns, corruption, and future items such as blink and darkmatter. Also the hunting for higher level meteors and the associated larger loot drops. That seems like plenty to keep the interest for people to go there. I do not think having more color varieties on a tier 1 or tier 2 would have a significant affect on traffic to the higher tier worlds.

I agree the developers have done a good job making the planets not look the same with the biomes, tree sizes, waters and canals and such. I will disagree that they have very different colors of rock. There are too many repeats of exactly the same color and too many times they are just shades of a different color versus coming from a different part of the color wheel.

1 Like

I never said ā€œvery differentā€. So no need to disagree.
Dark Cerulean and Dark Turquoise look almost the same, still they are different.

1 Like

The current palette is pretty diverse, actually! (especially with the introduction of the new worlds). All the rock colors, for example (as rendered on my crappy mac):

10 Likes

Can you post coords to your place? Iā€™d really like to visit there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup! Itā€™s very WIP (hoping to have all raw resources laid out), but you can get there via:

1. Head to the Portal Seekers Biitula hub
  2. Hop into the Worldspire portal, and note the big tree starting to form in the distance!
  3. Head all the way down the stairs, and over to said tree
  4. On the far side of the tree, thereā€™s a portal in its base: head through
  5. Youā€™ve arrived!
2 Likes

I am sorry if I came off as harsh I did not mean it to be.

2 Likes

This is starting to stray into discussion of a totally different topic. Please create a topic discussion for planet pallet progression and Iā€™ll split the previous few comments off over there- letā€™s keep this thread on track :slight_smile:

Edit: I think I got them allā€¦ Iā€™m on lunch so no promises regarding relevance of what I xfered over!

1 Like

I donā€™t see why any world in any zone and at any tier needs to be devalued for another planet. Each should be unique and something we want to visit. Each has their reason to be looked at and we should have a design for such things.

I understand the issue around latency so that is why you can put resources in some simple type of single dimension design based on tiers. But there is no reason we canā€™t have more variability across zones. It hurts nothing.

2 Likes

I think I started to understand why Ben left the BOUNDLESS development team and changed his forumā€™s introduction to that.