Adjustments Please, and a few other things

I’m posting this as an all inclusive quality of life request, covering some issues that have plagued my own experience with boundless.

-Swapping skill pages:

The actual change works fine, however, energy and health don’t follow as they should. Swapping to a skill set with higher energy or health keeps the previous lower levels of each. If this scaled properly, switching from a high energy or health character to a lower level one should have a similar result, giving them higher levels until the extra is used up, but it doesn’t. Also, irl, I don’t need to scarf 20 pounds of meat in order to start working at full energy.

There’s a few ways to deal with this problem:

1. Store separate energy/health levels for each skill set so when you switch back, it is the same as it was when you left it.
  2. Keep the same percentage of energy/health when switching, so if your big fighter is hurting, and you change to your weak crafter, he’s still hurting.
  3. Allow any amount of energy/health to bleed over, even if it surpasses a skill set’s max, until the excess is used up. This would allow that big meal you ate or all those potions you drank to potentially keep some of their potency when a switch back to the higher powered skill set is made.

-Portal cost:

Admittedly, I don’t have much experience with or knowledge of portals yet, however, I have found out now that simply using more blocks causes a drastic increase in Oort energy requirements. I can see how this increase would happen across greater distances, but it doesn’t make much sense to me when warp cost scales only with distance, and doesn’t cost more coin to use more warp conduits. A portal is presumably just a more stable warp, so it should scale similarly in cost. Also, I think Oort shards and coin should both be viable fueling options for both warp and portal conduits.

-Falling damage:

This one is pretty annoying. Currently the greatest enemy in the game is the ground, mixed with the time it takes to reach it. My high health character fears it and sheds a tear before each excursion through any cliffy or hilly planet, that a single mistake in grappling, or a sudden drop hidden by tall grass, should take away his overbearing vitality, leaving him helpless to the next little pitfall. But honestly, it is beyond me how this one got through testing. Little drops will chip away at at a high health character, taking a percentage of his health, which doesn’t come back fast enough to compensate like it does for my fragile crafter and miner. Falling armor barely helps either.

There’s a few ways to fix this:

1. Change falling armor to percentage based rather than damage blocking. Each point on it would give 20% resistance, allowing a player to become fully resistant to falls. If that seems too much, I think 15% would be reasonable, settling at 75% at full armor.
  2. Change falling damage away from percentage based and into straight damage. This one makes the most sense to me as it makes falling worse for weaklings and not so bad for toughies.
  3. This one is a bit more complex, but would open up more possibilities in combat as well. Falling damage would not change, however, part of its damage would be instantly recovered after a few seconds, unless successive falls or hits occurred. This would be much more true to life, because successive hits on the way down will do much more damage than a single drop. This could also be used with enemy attacks, or attacking enemies.

Lastly, I would like to see a skill page which affects all other skill pages, it would make my character seem more substantial in light of all the skill page swapping.

3 Likes

I think all of these issues are currently being looked into. I also would like to see fall damage be straight numbers, not % of total health - it is falling, after all and not high velocity drowning.

Fall armor should also straight reduce a % of damage from that fall, and not just a number - although it may be more useful if fall damage itself was a straight number and not health percentage.

I’d be happy with an additional across the board reduction in fall damage with an added 5 second speed reduction debuff, “Sprained Ankle,” after taking fall damage >100

Yeah fall damage is a little counter-intuitive. The healthier you are, the more damage you take is kind of the opposite of the physics. At most they would have the same damage, at best, the healthier you are, the more damage you could possibily mitigate.

I read they are going to fix that issue with skill set changing. It’s an expensive thing now - I change skill set, take one step and I’m starving so eat eat eat!

+1 on portal size / cost. My character can’t fight so maintaining my one 2 x 3 portal takes a lot of effort - which I think is fair, just prohibitive for largely solo players. I could make it smaller, but that would spoil the aesthetic :smile:

2 Likes