AFK at a hunt

Hi there, I was hunting with a large group this afternoon and I wanted to explain a situation that occurred, and respectfully ask that people consider the RL situations of others, because I and my daughter were accused of doing “AFK leveling” at the hunt.

My doorbell rang so I grappled up and ran to answer my front door, where I found out that Dallas Water Utilities is shutting off my water supply for the next several hours. This is pretty much an emergency because I have two small children – one of whom, my 7 year old daughter, was also fighting at the hunt while I was at my front door. After I filled up 3 jugs of water to be able to care for my kids the rest of today, I returned and told my kid to use the bathroom while she still can. I sat at the computer and found the message “2 afk people over here” , the tree I had been attached to was completely chopped down, and my inventory filled with junk. I understand that there are situations where people go and leech at hunts, but this was most certainly not an intentional case of such. My daughter had absolutely no understanding of what happened because she can’t read what people write in-game – the parental control prevents this. She was so excited to be there helping revive and heal people there. She was doing her best and I am proud of her for it.

I would like to respectfully ask that if anyone sees something like this in the future, and feels annoyed about it, please consider that people sometimes have RL situations come up, and they will get back to business as soon as they can.

31 Likes

I agree and it should be common sense that just because you are still for a few min does not mean you are leatching but that something might have come up :slight_smile: well sending some love your way :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I afk sporadically quite often on hunts. Usually I can do 3-4 meteors before I have to just permanently disappear(log off) because life is real and very busy.

I’ve been in the same spot as you as far as tree/inventory dumps go. I tend to just drop it all and get back to it if I can or log out if things are just too busy.

I wouldn’t worry too much about what people think/say. Taking care of life and family means more than a video game that’s meant for entertainment. Some people, sadly, treat it like it’s their only thing in life.

8 Likes

What’s the issue with AFK people anyway? Doesn’t this just bring more enemies/loot for everyone else?

12 Likes

This was exactly my thought too.

It seems like those people were just being ridiculous.

8 Likes

You know, maybe if they focused on the hunt instead of filling the inventory with junk, they’d probably of had a lot more meteors done.

6 Likes

More people the better. Even if your just standing there. better loot better meteors. AFK NATION!!

9 Likes

I hope everything is ok & that they get your water turned back on soon. Sadly, there are always turds in MMOs. Just make a mental note of the people during hunts that verbally attack you & others - and avoid going on hunts with them. There are some groups I hunt with and some are so bad - I’ve learned to avoid like the plague.

The larger the hunting group is, the better IMO :+1: There are some groups that are amazing! They realize there are players that don’t have gem grapples, not enough skill points, new to the game, are children, etc and will wait for them to catch up, will heal dead players, wait for them to gather items, etc.

I’m glad to see that you are utilizing the parental controls. Some people can be really nasty & forget this is a fun GAME.

12 Likes

I was at this hunt, too, and it doesn’t bother me if anyone is afk. Life happens and there’s more important things to deal with - such as making sure you and your kids have water! Ignore the perpetually rude people and keep hunting!

I hope the water situation is sorted soon.

9 Likes

Thanks everyone. <3
They are just doing a repair and I’m sure it will be A-OK before nightfall.

4 Likes

Doesn’t bother me if we’re not overwhelmed. I went AFK myself a few times due to out-of-hand circumstances that i know can’t wait but will take a few mins only. Hell, it’s even favorable if you hide because that’s a meteor life that the team can’t lose. Not to mention that the presence of more people brings bigger meteors too. Please don’t mind them.

3 Likes

yeah, this was a t4 with lots of people, so the mobs drop faster than you can shoot them. nobody should feel overwhelmed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, shouldn’t matter if you’re afk or not. That hunting group was benefiting from you and your daughter being on the hunt. Worst case is they move on and you stay. Certainly poor manners on their part.

3 Likes

I mentioned the overwhelmed part because i remember we were getting mowed in the T7 hunts. I guess anything below that is easy for a decent group.

1 Like

I hosted this hunt and to be honest a few people AFK wasn’t a problem. I didn’t no they were chopping trees down that people were grappled to though.
If this happens again on a hunt with me please pm me whilst we are there so I can find out who it is.
Also I can save my game play for the last hour at any given time Another thing,i have to go AFK myself, I have a 4 year old daughter and at times I have to leave to see to her. I’ve had people go on about it also, I wouldn’t let it bother you to much. I’ll be carrying a lot of revive augments from now on for the hunts I host so not to fear if you do die.

’I don’t think people would of knew you had went AFK if they weren’t doing much themselves’
but that’s my opinion anyway.

I don’t mind people going AFK during my hunts and I won’t question them either, its obvious something has came up and its not a game you can simply pause.
However if its every meteor then maybe they shouldn’t be there.
But @jaimepoutine I remember you mentioning it in the chat at the time. Hope things are sorted with the water situation soon

13 Likes

When I first went on a large hunt I had to grapple onto the towers they build, my skills were really poor, but I was never made to feel unwelcome. I was on that hunt with you today, I seen your chat log mention your water had been turned off and all I thought was - that’s a bloomin’ shame! JayceyLive’s hunts are so efficient and I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve been on, but if I need to be AFK then that’s life. I won’t apologise to anyone for that or explain my reason for being AFK. You’ve paid for this game, like the rest of us, and you and your wee girl should be free to be. Report anyone you feel is picking on you or your lass, to JayceyLive, he doesn’t mince his words! Lol. The row he gave folk for going through those flippin’ doors. Sheesh! Lol.

8 Likes

thanks, i really appreciate this, and i am glad to have your support <3 there will always be a few people out there who just don’t understand what it’s like and i hope that sharing perspectives will help with that.

water’s back on by the way… :sweat_drops:

12 Likes

I used to leach off hunts all the time. in the earlier days of launch they would ask people what their role was and I would say “I’m just here to mooch loot”. They would joke saying “at least he’s honest” and we would go on. Never had anyone really target me with any type of griefing so I am both surprised and sorry it happened to you. The presence of “leaches” increases the size of the meteor for everyone, granting more loot for all, you only need 6-8 real “hunters” everyone else is just there to boost the level of the meteor anyway (I’ve been in hunts with more than 10 hunters, and everything dies so fast that no one has time to react as new portals drop enemies on your head so really more than 10 real hunters is not needed). I do (presently) have a “healer” alt now so he tends to do the hunts and contribute in healing bombs and revives.

Anyway, glad to hear the water is back on. Hope the few bad eggs didn’t spoil too much of your day :smile:

4 Likes

…Really?

Why would anyone care if someone is AFKing or not. a person or even a small group of people who are AFK brings absolutely no negative effects to the hunt. In a game like this, even if someone was purposefully leeching and doing absolutely nothing to help the group, I do not see that as a problem.

This is classic elitist behavior and I would highly suggest you pay those ██████s no mind.

It is not worth the time of day to think about it. Just press on with what you like to do.

Unless you are running an Invite only private hunt, then there is really nothing you can do nor should do. if someone wants to AFK at every meteor, I say let them.

9 Likes

i was on this hunt and i was lagging for quite a bit so i might looked like i was standing on the spot a couple of times but i do try my best to help out however they really shouldnt judge because situation do pop up even when youre gaming. glad to hear you got water back on :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes