Allow Warping Using Coordinates

Nobody would explore anymore…

Regards,

1 Like

And new people would get frustrated and quit. How do you balance it out?

You could make new incentives to explore properly … I dunno, up the luck / drop percentage based on how much square footage you’ve covered on planet in the last 5-10 minutes or something?

This would also make hunts more incentivised, as they’d run longer …

Purely thinking aloud, I’ve got no dog in this underground fight. :wink:

4 Likes

Do people actually quit because it’s too far to walk to get cheap food?? I’ve heard a lot of reasons for people quitting but I doubt this is the major contributing factor.

However…

This isn’t really a problem either. If people dont enjoy exploring, then forcing them to explore by making them walk 2,000m for the cheapest fruit pie isnt exactly going to suddenly make them explorers. Exploring is rewarding enough for anyone who enjoys exploring, it’s fun if that’s what you enjoy doing.

3 Likes

My idea was to make it so you get XP for every “new” plot you touch with reset once a week or once a month, so people would be incentivized to explore new areas (new to them). Maybe even add in some exclusive explorers items (cobwebs, tarnished trophies etc) that can be RNG rewards for exploring.

I think it would be good if there were rewards for exploring. Currently the only things the game effectively/really rewards is mining and crafting, nothing else.

5 Likes

Now this is a man (gorilla) that makes a good point. The most rewarding activities in terms of both coin and experience are the most mind numbingly grindy activities.

Building and exploration are only rewarded by the amount of fun you get out of doing these things.

3 Likes

I feel like this could just be tied to footfall. Use the same repeat visitor rules to determine your xp gain per settlement or plot visited.

1 Like

Not sure about that one. I recall actively avoiding warps entirely when i was new cause of the coin cost. If i could walk there, I did. And that’s when i didn’t have grapples either.

2 Likes

Putting in my two cents:

• There’s a potential balance issue here, as pointed out by others. I’ll point out another one as well, this ability to warp to coordinates can be fairly overpowered for exo worlds, just warp from hotspot to hotspots.
  • In my opinion, “dying for inputting the wrong coordinates” won’t work well. For one thing, this punishes player unnecessarily for actual input mistakes (whether due to a typo, misremembering, or whatever). Another thing is that death penalty isn’t a big enough risk (and if it is, reviver brews exist… just chug one before entering the warp).

My suggestion would be to only allow warp to coordinates only for a location within a region that the player has already explored/discovered. This will incentivize exploring all regions in a planet, but also would preserve the motivation of shop owners to either connect to a portal hub or at least provide a location token in a hub.

3 Likes

Honestly all people really need is the name of a portal or two that lead to the shop

What if we just give people 256 characters of free text to describe their beacon and list portals that lead there?

2 Likes

You can already do this, warp up to sanctum and then use a warp augment…

There needs to be some sort of way to add extra info to a shop that can be viewed from the shop browser in game… you are limited to the name of the beacon having something to do with the shop and some times it makes no sense.

6 Likes

Could also be possible to return to sanctum and use a warp augment to get you much closer?

the only issue with that is you have to wait for the planet to rotate.

1 Like

True, but you only might have to wait. Could get lucky.

How many remember when you had to remember how to get back home using terrain/portals?

Before they added free warps home.

How many remember getting lost a dozen times? :joy:

I remember going to negative coins for warping to home beacon with not having enough coin.

5 Likes

Dude… I spent about 3 days logging onto Imdaari (I think) trying to find my way back to wherever the portal was that I had come from. I was still really new at that point so I had no atlas, no grapples, no food and I think I may have even broken whatever tools I had with me when I arrived…

… it was the stuff of nightmares

… and I LOVED it!! I thought this game was hardocore!

5 Likes

It was amazing times lol. Really felt like good survival mechanics. I always tried to remember and save a location of the hub I came from, though didn’t always remember lol.

I used to explore alot more, not always intentionally either just from getting lost through portals.

Also remember how long it used to take to bring back a mining haul before free home warp and reclaim. Oh the hours it would take to get all that rock back.

1 Like

I mean, I much prefer how it is now, but I can see the fun in some of this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went around at one point and saved the locations of all the ultima hubs and most of the PS ones onto my main characters after I got lost a few times. Luckily, I never realized I could teleport home for free :rofl: Of course, that was mainly because my very first beacon was automatically set to be “home” and I had already deleted it before I knew what that was.

Since you couldn’t change the home beacon back then I never had a need to warp there.

:man_with_probing_cane: ok, ok …

2 Likes

What about just allow warping to a beacon that you have set as your current destination.

Like if a player sets a destination via the beacon menu or shop list, then when they go to open a portal it will show “current destination” in the list…

That way some one has to actually visit the location that the other person is warping too. Then there is no issue with people being able to warp to just where ever they want since were just dealing with beacons and the destination is a known position.

Plus you still have to pay the fee to open a portal so its not like the trip is free.