Alternative crafting materials

I stock bones no less than twice a week. Mantle is a tad harder to keep in stock, I really can only get good numbers of it during regular hunting.

Bones - 3c
Mantle - 8c

My store is Fif Land, located in Sunken City on Niia Zed Ka, portals to PS Lamblis (top floor) and DK Ultima Tree (bottom floor).

I get it’s harder to find nowadays though. When I had a big project that I needed 1000s of bones for I used a contract, made a post saying how many I needed, what the price I was paying was, and directions to the request basket. I was able to buy like 10,000 bones in only a couple of days (at the time for 3c each, although might have to bump it up a coin or two to get it as fast now).

In short, I’m sorry you’re having trouble finding what you need. If I can provide, awesome, if not reach out, there is always someone who needs some coin and might have what you need on a shelf somewhere…

1 Like

Because nobody hunts and sells the stuff at a reasonable price. The current prices don’t reflect their value, their are inflated because of low availability.

I see only 3 possible ways going forward:

• people hunt more and sell stuff at a fair price (Oort at 150c, bones at 1c, glands at… just not the >100c it’s at now)
  • the devs implement alternative sources for items where the current way to obtain them is not liked by the majority of their player base (they already did that when they shifted items from regen farming and gathering to farming)
  • people can’t afford what they want to do in the game and will continue to leave (few people play a game to have a second job, to again do something they don’t like just to be able afford what they need)
2 Likes

No, it’s not. Because one side has upkeep costs (portals) and the other side only has expenses when they actually play. You can’t have a market if one side is forced to use it and the other doesn’t and can just withdraw them from the market because of an event or because the don’t want to play that week.

Now, if you would need shelter and food at any time, even when not logged in, and be forced to pay taxes, we might get an economy. But if one side can just take a break and the other can’t (or will have higher cost on returning), you will never have a functioning market.

If you want a functioning market you must add something that requires hunters (and everyone) to constantly pay coins, which would force everyone to make coins, which would get a market going.

1 Like

So the game balance is wrong? The minimum sustainable portal count with the current player count should be higher? Increase drop rates/make crafting cheaper? What would actually happen :thinking: What’s a good amount of grind a game should have?

Does it boil down to how rewarding do we want stuff to feel? If I see a crazy build on live right now, a part of that awe comes from the fact that I know how much work went in to it. I wouldn’t want that to become irrelevant, but maybe a small bump in drop rates wouldn’t kill the game. Or do we have players that would just straight up leave if there were 25% more bones in the game? :smiley: Or if crafting costs were adjusted to make them cheaper? (basically the same thing)

edit: I also think we still have a bit of a discovery problem, the buyer and seller are not aware of every price on every planet, so most players probably check a few planet, in the worst case scenario just one and shop there. I’d like to know if I my baskets aren’t filling because I’m not paying enough, or if nobody is selling that item.

3 Likes

Let’s assume you run a 2x2 portal, that’s 3 shards per hour or 36 Oort stones per week. At 220c per stone the portal will cost you 8000c / week.

You have to do that every week or the portal will go down and

• you might loose your spot at the hub of your choice
  • your shop will not have any traffic
  • people might find an alternative to your regen farm and not return

On the other side, what costs does a hunter have? They need a slingbow, some coins to warp, maybe some heal bombs and a bit of food?

Let’s assume they hunt daily and obtain 100 stones every day. At 220c a stone they made 154000c, without animal parts, every week. That buys them 17 slingbows at 9000c each. Do they need 17 slingbows to farm 700 stones? I doubt that.

What do hunters spend their coin on?

There is nothing in the game they need, they have no coin sink. But they extract coins from the rest of the player base.

That’s the main problem. A market is a form of trade. But that only works if both side have something the other side needs.

One side has to do extra work to obtain coins to buy what they need.

The other side can play what they enjoy and make coins with it.

How do we fix that? Add costs for hunters too. Maybe you need a license to loot meteorites, from the game, for 100000c initial fee and 25000c upkeep every week. Or make them use infused ammunition that can only be infused in a beacon by the same rules as footfall.

I don’t know. But at the moment we don’t have “a market”, we more or less have “extortion”.

1 Like

If you don’t want to hunt yourself to keep that portal up, you have to pay for someone else’s time hunting. You in turn have to do something to gain those coins, like forge a slingbow or cook food. So tada now we have something both sides have something the other side needs. How is this not a market?

A player is likely to be doing more than just hunt, it’s one way to fund your other activities, stuff that requires things gained from activities you don’t like doing.

They did have to buy the equipment, just like any profession. Miner buys a hammer for 5k and comes back with a thousand gems for it, should every gem be worth 5c? If you went hunting and you didn’t gain more than your inputs were (the equipment), why would you hunt and basically waste time to gain nothing? This is purely from a financial standpoint, there’s other factors too which decide what you spend your time on :smiley:

Or is the problem that just by the virtue of the portal existing it doesn’t generate the coins to pay for itself? You have something that the hunter doesn’t need (a regen farm), so the footfall comes from people that use that farm, let’s say it’s the forger to keep it simple. Now there’s a link, a forger visits your farm so they can make weapons for the hunter, but the ratio of these isn’t enough to keep the portal up. A balance issue?

If the hunter had to pay a million just to get started, there would be more hunters providing that oort for the market? If hunting cost more, the price of oort would be lower?

1 Like

The problem is that one side always needs more then the other, thus constantly increasing the price of Oort until it reaches a point where some people will no longer be able to afford it, which leads in a depression.

In the real world you “solve” that problem by just printing money, which isn’t a good solution but at least works good enough.

The only reason I go to work is to be able to afford taxes, housing and food. If all that would not be needed or be provided for free I would only work whenever I want to afford some luxury.

If we want hunters to be an important part in the economy, we have to find a way to get them to hunt daily, not only when they need some coins to buy something.

There is a price point where the demand and supply will be the same, currently there’s less oort coming in to the system as is being sucked out by all the portals, price will continue to rise until enough portals shut down and there’s balance again. So currently one side needs more than the other, but that won’t always be the case. It’s not a depression, but a supply/demand imbalance which the market is correcting for, with the increasing prices.

Even if you were to print more money (which the game is already doing), it wouldn’t directly change the amount of oort coming in, the price would just go up even more if people have more money to pay for it.

Isn’t that the reason why we see more and more requests to finally add additional sources for Oort? It’s like if the people who have to shut down their portals because of “the market” don’t actually enjoy being on the losing side of capitalism.

I break a bow and use a stack of revives and 2 stacks of damage augments on every hunt… as well as brews and food to keep buffs up the whole time. To make the bows, I had to grind gems which cost hammers. To forge the bows and the hammers cost even more - had to grind for forge coils, mats, time to learn, etc… hunting isn’t free money :woman_shrugging: Its just quick.

1 Like

Partly yes

That’s what I meant here, technically it’s a balance issue. Should everyone have an easy time keeping 10 portals up? The market itself works, but how many portals should it be possible to keep up with X oort, and how many oort should a meteor drop, those are the levers that can be adjusted way more easily than controlling what players choose to do with their time. I feel like forcing licences or other running expenses isn’t the way to go. A hunting update (titans) would be the most player friendly way of increasing participation.

It’s relatively easy for a player to keep a small personal portal up, if you want extra, with the current balance, you have to work for it and put time in to keeping them up. The more effort you put in to it, the farther you are from the “losing side of capitalism”.

1 Like

Players can set prices how they like then you can either buy those for that price or gather own it regulates system good. Before in game price scanner it was easier to go supplier that was selling items under priced. Now that we it is easy to get all those cheap items out of market and some sellers might have seen more customers because of that.

Also example of bone being 1 coin just seems complete joke, glue has more purposes than before and it is not so fast gathered than some regen farm good. Just compare it to some block that you can regen and mine for raw minting value :smiley:

1 Like

You may consider joining a guild or finding someone online who enjoys gathering the materials needed for these crafts that will give them to you in return for sharing some of the crafted goods? I find many are asking for reduced costs, reduced times, reduced effort essentially and I’m not sure what good that does in an mmo type setting. Changes to specific things can also greatly affect other aspects of the game in a negative way for others.

@Zjawcia I’m getting Abit more than a ss of bones and half a ss of mantle per hunt I can save them for you. Just PM me your price and how much you want of each :cowboy_hat_face: