Another texture issue :p

As in a past post I made, i would like to clarify that I know this is not a priority, this just to inform that there is an issue.

the few people that may have been to my place (which is always under construction, either because I dont have time to finish or change my mind on what i want) might have seen that i like the textures chiseled rocks provide for inside walls and ceilings, mainly because they have more continuous textures instead of having separations on each block, like this:

however I have noticed that there is an angle of placement in which the textures only blend with sedimentary stones and the other 2 have strange horizontal seams, Ive tried several times but cant get it to work.

Here is a screen of what I mean:

Also I dont know if it helps but the placement position is this one:

Edit: Just found out sedimentary stones dont rotate with the placement position, so I guess that is why those still look good.

Looking okay for me. Some textures don’t blend. It’s natural that you don’t get a “smooth” blend between each texture/material you like.

At least I like your comparison and that it doesn’t blend is just natural for me.

I only mean between the same rocks, it’s a diferent pattern on each level of blocks for igneous and meta but for sedimentary I can kind of recreate the pattern it has in its natural state in mountains and alike :stuck_out_tongue: but if it stays like this I can live with it :):grin:

So you mean, they blend in nature but not if you place them ?

Yes :slight_smile: I can only get them to blend if used as floor o ceiling, but when used as walls they get different patterns on each level vertically

Its like ice. Big areas in nature look good, but if you build a wall, it get repeating pattern.

Here is an image with green lines where the texture is not exactly lining up between the blocks.
It is most visible in the igneous rock, and not much in the metamorphic. But in the sedimentary rock on the right the texture is perfect but also easier to make good.

It´s not hard to do a repeating pattern, but I like that they have made an effort to vary the texture instead. It also means that it is harder to make several different textures to mix seamlessly. I think that is what is going on at least.

Isn’t this happening because you’re manually varying the orientation when placing the block? This is a feature that allows you to control blocks with an pattern that looks interesting when the orientation is varied.

1. We could disallow placement control on blocks that don’t have an obvious pattern.

2. The next update includes a skill that enables advanced placement control. This means that for players who don’t want to worry about it get everything orientated correctly.

3 Likes

Nicccce - a typical builder skill; another small step towards specialization. :sunglasses:

all blocks where placed using the wall on the last image and I was standing right in front to avoid any unwanted rotation. and thx @Swede for the clearer image, I could tell it was confusing when the replies started :smile:

for standard blocks (not meshes) there are 4 rotations, they are gotten based on which ‘face’ of a block you place the block from primarily.

Selecting the ground or ceiling, you get one of two rotations based on your view direction. The other two are gotten by selecting a wall while placing a block, regardless of view direction.

The easiest to see how it works is with a tree trunk that has an obvious different top/bottom texture. If you place it whilst selecting a wall it will stick out of the wall sideways.

It applies even if placing into the air next to a block as well, with the highlight showing the surface being placed relative to.

"Mesh’ blocks have 4 rotations too, but they are all ‘upright’ and use your view direction to choose which of the 4 y rotations you get.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info! I had been testing different blocks and how they change with direction but now its all clearer :blush:

I found out today that the textures DO align when placed facing West/East, but not in the South/North orientation.

thought it was worth mentioning

1 Like