Any luck finding gold on Solum?

I completely feel your pain Solannis. I have mined for about 50 hours and have only found gold once. With the frequency that posts show up on the forums regarding gold issues, you would think the devs would look into the issue a little further.

Even following all the advice on the forums about biomes, locations, coordinates, etc., I still find gold to be an extremely and unpleasant roadblock in this game. There was good discussion on this topic that had a title in regards to the ancient tech components. James, a dev, even commented on the resource spawning and what possible options there may be.

Either way, in its current state, finding gold is nothing short of pure frustration and hours of time lost with no gain. For me, it is the one thing that is giving me negative thoughts about the game.

The starter worlds’ biomes are more or less set by latitude on the world - so if you head due north, or due south, you should eventually hit deserts. (general progression will be ice → forest → desert → forest → ice)

We have found plenty of gold by strip mining mountains. Seems like in our case at level 110 has been the sweet spot. It does seem that gold is typically surrounded by other minerals, especially Coal, not soft coal. If you find gold make sure to mine all around it because that is typically how we have found titanium too, they seem to be together.

We cut through the mountain from one end to the other in a straight line.
Then we go back through and on each side of the initial line we go perpendicular every two blocks on each side. This ensures that no block is missed on that level. Follow the veins of ore as they appear up or down as you go.

This method has also resulted in a considerable amount of Tech Components too.

It does appear that trying to find gold by exploring caves is not ideal, and from what we can tell there is no specific rules as to what level gold / titanium spawns on.

Just wanna add this here, im playing on therka but i suppose the starting planets on each server are the same so…

i’ve read all the suggestions where to find gold and finally mining trough icy mountain on height 100 worked for me, found an ore vein of 13 ores of gold, along with silber and medium coal, so i guess you are should try the icy mountain for a longer time x3

4 Likes

Just buy the gold you need to warp, then farm for it. It’s really hard to find on starter planet but not impossible. i can sell some to you if you want to get you started. i advise to look in high ground caves in mountains, digging senseless is too long, by strolling in cave you are eventually going to find uncovered seams.

i don’t think it should be that easy to find gold or else nobody will buy it. Anyway, i’ve played about 20 hours on Solum and got the gold i needed to warp. @Solannis talking about 30 min, god you are really not the patient type, try to find gold in real life, it’s gonna take you a lifetime.

Yeah first of all i found myself not only the warp upgrade to buy (gold not actually) and some location markers but i found actually a really effective way to find gold.

This is seriously my final resolution to this, there have been many ideas arround it:
-look into caves
-strip mine mountains
-desert mountains
-icy mountains
-just more on other planets

But what i found was a little conversation between wichall and the dev james and nevir from january
check it out here Gold.

So the best way to find gold is indeed go into the deserts, look for a mountain or rather a plateau which is at a height of 130 or higher, the higher the better actually, than dig 30 blocks deep inside of it and strip mine it to all directions, only going deeper while staying above height 100 but at least 30 blocks under the surface and actually stay at least 15 blocks away from caves. I can’t tell if this is really necessary but i never found any gold in caves surfaces so i would assume it’s actually not a good idea to look into caves. I found gold pretty fast and in decent amounts that way and it works mostly everytime. Sure sometimes it takes very long and i leave that mountain without gold but next time i might as well find 2 veins and besides from that i found a lot of silver and a lot of medium coal which is very nice too.

There you have it folks, i dont know about other planets yet but thats definitely the way to go on starter planets ;D and i think a lot of players especially new ones don’t know about that.

And if i gave away the secret art of finding gold to the masses than call me a revolutionary, or a freedom fighter, or a liberator, or just someone who wan’t everyone to have equal chances to find gold xD. It still needs a lot of time, patience and a good portion of luck to find decent amounts to build your golden hut :D.

1 Like

I’m on therka. I found info shared in forums that I should go to desert biome and try the big steep mountains. I did and by following other ores on height 80 to 130 I found 12 gold for 3-4 hours of digging. I was happy.

You need to know the spots i discribed just have the highest chance to spawn gold (“it’s more likely” they said) so i guess technically you can find gold everywhere beneath the surface with enough luck, but if you plan to find certain amounts of gold than you should go with what i discribed :slight_smile:

I think it’s like with placing beacon too soon. Looks like a lot of starting players get themselves into digging for hours before asking for advice or simply before exploring planet and finding spots where you can see ores on surface. Same way some place beacon and start building and storing resources before they find good spot and then they have to move a lot of things.

Far from the best strategy if you ask me. Desert biome don’t mean anything, they just said that spawn rate is better under sand, but reality check, there is sand everywhere in every biome.
Strip mining take way too much time. I told the best way in my answer a little bit higher. I can make 300 silver,100 gold, 25 titanium, tons of med coal and good amount of hard coal in no more than 5 hours.
If you want to continue strip mining, it’s your choice, but i don’t think that saying out loud that it’s the best way of doing it is representative.
If you want the truth, play lots of hours exploring and when you find a planet and area with crazy spawning rate, save the coords and go back there to mine. Still, the best way time wise is still to stroll in high caves.

Well i said that i don’t know about other planets for a reason, but if this amount of ressources you mentioned are actually true than it would somewhat disappoint me, so long finding gold and silver really gave me a smile but this way it would already seem to lose its value.

Since you need to keep in mind one thing. The value of a ressource not only comes from how rare it is but for what you need it as well. Compared to what i need gold yet (except building a golden fortress) this already seems to be too much. But maybe you are just an extreme example, and finding highground caves isn’t that easy, i would say on Therka there aren’t even some,

But believe it or not strip mining a mountain the way i do right now, for me, is more entertaining than running aimless through a cave. Since their is a little system behind it and i know for certain i can clear that area out and know there is no gold left. But running through the cave i could easily get lost, probaly missing a lot of it and don’t know how much might inside the walls too.

So for therka i keep to my strategy, on other planets i will see…
because my strategy isn’t so bad actually since you can mine a lot of copper iron and coal in general this way and might as well stumble over good amounts of silver and gold too. I mean when i mine at all i mine this way and so i always have a good chance to find gold so i guess thats a good thing

EDIT: Oh and good that you mentioned marking a location with “crazy spawning rate” and going back to this all the time. If you ask me thats a major problem. I know its a game but even for that this seems somewhat unrealistic, it kinda destrory the purpose of making a certain ressource rare at all. Just find that one magic spot and visit it over and over again and you get rich with relative low effort. I don’t like that. I have some ideas about that but im going to make a topic about that once i explored the game a bit more :slight_smile:

I always run around the lava caves under the back of the Therka Market (it’s grassy, bit of ice back there, not desert but there’s sand and gravel with the stone making up the cave ledges)

I’ve found 2 patches of regularly spawning gold and a titanium spawn which is in the area more often then not but hard to see. They seem to spawn within 20 blocks height of the lava.

I think it’s probably much better than digging away half a mountain from the top down.

While it holds true that when you branch mine you get a hold of more resources, it requires more time investment. Question is how much time you want to invest into getting gold, your way guarantees to hit the gold and collect resources along the way, but with a huge time usage, dooms way, might not get him as much of other resources, and he can “lose” some gold in that cave, but it’s far more efficient, he only doesn’t gather as much. At the end of the day, it’s a question of what you want to do, branch mining or search for mining heaven

If my way is one of the better or not, im glad at least that i could trigger the more experienced players to give their advise and i appreciate it. I guess people can read this and decide for themselfs which way they go now :D.

But seriously coming from minecraft looking arround lava caves was my first guess too and i tried that a long time but i didnt find a single gold ore and titanium i have yet to find at all xD.

Could it be that each player sees some ressources that others don’t see OO , is this a hidden aspect we all don’t know about? who can say that he has found the same ressources together with someone else xD?.

I see your point and i respect it, i thought you wanted to get gold fast and that it was an irritating problem for you. You must admit that you were asking about “the best way of getting gold” so i told you the best way of getting it. With that said, i know theres not not much to do with it beside selling it and making tools but thats what i do and i find it funny.
I don’t know why you say your disapoint by those numbers, the point is, in the final release i think it’s gonna be those spots that will be protected by guilds or city and each of them will sell these ressources and compete with each other. I don’t see nothing disapointing there.
As you mentionned, those places are not easy to find but once you found one you better mark it, i think it’s the point of exploring worlds. I still don’t know where to find most of the gems and some gleam color, but seeing people selling several stacks of them, they clearly found the same kind of spots, but for other goodies.

Well i wasn’t the one asking :smiley: , i was looking for answers to this question but here i was just commiting my experiences i made along finding these and how things turned out for me in game.

The idea of cities and guilds building up arround the most interesting spots is indeed an interesting thought,
but for me i don’t know how i will end up in this game.

I’d love to be a lone wolf who builds impressive buildings or has notable impact just by himself,
or be part of a guild not as a leader but someone who tries to make the guild an more enjoyable one, helping everyone and contributing to it the best i can,
or even lead an own guild, no matter if huge or with a small amount of people i all know and trust, trying to achieve bigger goals and competing with other guilds in a more personal matter.

2 of these 3 things could work together but not all 3. And to make my point,
how ressources finaly end up being spread in the world probaly will have some impact in making my decision :D.

Will i be able to set up a guild base arround such a hot spot attracting people to join me?
Or maybe im just part of a group who plans in forming a settlement which grows into a city and grow a liking to this group.
Or will i fight against the guilds economy trying to own the market. And set up an underground (literaly) black market, gathering valuable goods by my own and trying to make better prices than the big guilds.

Well i slipped away with the topic here x3 (on purpose)

@DoomsdayKnight Hey, have i just found one of those magic spots or is it just normal for a good vulpto cave to have about more ruby veins than silver veins in it :smiley: , like seriously its on the ground in the wlls in the ceilling everywhere in this cave along with kinda a lot hard coal x3

1 Like

Vulpto is strong on rubies and hard coal, it’s a very good place to mine.

if you head to the main city on Solum stand in the center and look towards the pixel art with “link” from legend of zelda. he is holding a sign but i forget what it says. just over that hill behind him you can look for openings there is a HUGE cave system there and the mining is great. just work your way down and you should find a decent amount of copper, iron, silver, gold, fossils, and tech fragments.

On a side note you can still go to other planets/worlds without the tool. just go to the main city and there are portals setup to go to other planets

I hope this is helpful

That’s one heck of a necro CaddyWhumpus

1 Like