Anybody can deposit shards into ANY portal

Good point… so it sounds like these type of portals become “community” things… so maybe based on that then no footfall should be received because if the option is set it is now a “community portal”…

2 Likes

Nah the builder still deserves footfall.

1 Like

^this its still costing the builder hes mats and plots so he shod get something out of it

1 Like

I don’t fully understand how removing footfall would work? Do you mean removing the footfall from the portal owner plots attached to the portal? If yes, they would lose the incentive to host the portal. But if there is a way around it, then yeah the owner can just tick a box that this portal is a community portal and it enables shards donations and disables footfall.

There is no need for them to have incentive… the portal is being fueled by the community. They made the decision to make it a community portal.

So people either are helping the community or they are actually trying to get features that make their life easier while still getting rewards. Things don’t work that way…

All these people wanting to remove footfall wherever they can.

Here is a cheat sheet for you. Whenever the question starts “Should we remove the footfall…” the answer is NO.

2 Likes

Yeah I like the footfall system. That way you can’t just sell unlimited junk to NPCs; have to sell what’s in demand.

1 Like

also the fact the without footfall or some kind of coin the build generates the whole thing falls apart if the people who where “donating” there shards stop and the owner is unable to farm the amount needed on hes own

Yeah I agree with you guys. Instead of advocating for its removal we should be suggesting actual good ideas for ways coin is generated and removed from the economy. The more ways the better.

1 Like

people should read the posts before just thinking we are trying to remove footfall whenever we can. This thread was about creating a community portal… so no reason the owner should get footfall.

As for removing coin… tax portal usage. or hell you could remove footfall and have coin come through an actual economy.

In any event I get some people don’t like the idea but instead of beating up people suggesting it for valid reasons, provide other ideas OR just respect that some people don’t agree with you.

1 Like

Not a community portal - all portals could be community portals!

1 Like

the embassy main portal is run by community
we use an oortmeter where people can see if it is stocked its in middle off a terrain with loads off portals which we fuel our private owners fuel how would ya stop the footfall on that that means public portals cant be in a hub where someone makes footfall think we lost enough footfall already in old days all i did was community work and i lived on footfall nowadays its different story think its about time we leave footfall alone
there tons off hubs around that are unused you gotta make em used do the work
i could also make this portal way cheaper and use planet hops the oortmeter gives people the choice it says on the signs if nobody sponsor we rebuild the connection
cheaper the embassy portal proofs that this could work really good if people willing to help a hub owner they def dont want him to loose footfall think they rather want him to get more also dont think these portals will run completely on donations its great idea i dunno how many times i get mailed its low on fuel and my friends cant take the fuel on hand our off them self to put it in the portal when they are willing to do so now i need to make sure i log in on time to not loose fuel cause i need to pay the reopen cost when theres plenty off oort in stock cause i was at work etc ow another thing donators that give oort but they cant fuel it when it is low on fuel our about to close would no longer waste oort on reopening cost when donating thats why i love this idea also hub owners are usually people who use footfall to help community if they did not they would soon stop receiving donations

sorry for the wall off tekst with no points i havent learned yet where to put those things lol learned half my english by playing the game lol

1 Like

Good points. Really though, the idea to make it so portals can be fueled by anyone never had anything to do with footfall in the first place so footfall would just stay the way it is now. Our economy is working, let’s not break it again.

The real issue to address is that portals would be a smaller headache to run if anybody passing by could just “throw a log on the fire,” so to speak. You could be stuck at work and shout out on Discord for someone to please drop some shards in a portal, and they could help even if they weren’t on the beacon. There’s really no reason not to make this change unless the devs dislike it, see no reason to, or think it will cause problems.

I :heart: portals and portal networks.

2 Likes

If you remove the footfall from community portals, people will just set the portal up on their own beacon and then force you to walk through a plot of their own. So it wouldn’t even stop gaining footfall.

That said if you allow shard to be donated, that doesn’t mean the portal will run on the donated shards. So removing any gain for the creator is just punishing people.

The hubbit network doesn’t make much money, but it was created cause the designer of it had different ideas how a network should look like. Not for the business but for other reason.

And again, if I build public attractions (slides, bridges, lookout platforms) they all generate footfall without any input, so why treat portals any different?

For reasons why it might not be implemented, I don’t know how much of a coding pain it is.

1 Like

Why should portals be a smaller headache to run? Does that not favor the exitsting portals? If a player decides they are tired of running portals, they can turn the plots over to someone that wants to make the effort or they go away opening an opportunity for another player to step in. Players already have the ability to leave a request basket and to give permissions to others to fuel the portals.

Why is this any different from fueling your beacon other than it is easier to craft beacon fuel?

Edit. All this being said I do think they should create compact Oort. As I said in another thread, I think people should be able to go on vacation and not have their portal close. I am all for a way to give players an option to fuel their portals longer as we can with various types of beacon fuel.

3 Likes

Headache doesn’t necessarily have to be one of the ingredients for portals. This change wouldn’t affect me much though because I don’t really do portals - just a few small personal ones.

1 Like