Are caves not regenerating ore?

I don’t understand, to be honest. Maybe it’s my inclination towards my own methodology, but the check and double check method seems like it would eat up server side processing power given the player population and the sheer number of voxel generation that occurs from basic interaction. In my understanding it is a mesh, and as that mesh bends and folds, it is then determined what is “behind” it.

@sztosz If you have an issue with another player, take it somewhere private; no one wants to be involved in that here.

@Chivlet Quite simply, just avoid political references - this is a game forum, any talk of politics can easily derail threads and cause negativity.

Thanks.

1 Like

You got it Steggs, message received. <3

1 Like

@SethLarcomb Calling you out for what you stating opinions as facts were uncalled for. I apologize.

I strongly believe that it’s harder to code a mesh that bends, and adjust what’s behind it with every block that gets chipped away, than treating blocks like an array. Every block has it’s coordinates. And probably a bit of metadata. So you take a chunk of blocks: 16x16x255 = 65280 blocks. Let’s generate ores: 1: discard all that are water and air, also we don’t need no soil and gravel. We’re left with X blocks. Let’s roll titanium, discard those that have depth less than n, discard those that don’t have at least m blocks above it. We are left with Y blocks. Discard all that already have ore generated in it (in previous iteration, for example Iron, and copper, and those not mined). From goods distribution it looks like there should be at Z titanium per chunk (it’s not accurate, because world distribution is way more complicated, but I didn’t give it a though), so pick at random Z blocks from those remaining minus titanium present already in chunk, and put there titanium. And then another pass of resource regeneration for another ore, or gem.

That’s is how think resource generation works. Because it’s tied strictly to blocks regeneration and is being done after blocks regeneration (as was stated by devs few times).

Having an ore generation in live time would be very tricky given that it’s multiplayer game. When you account that few players can mine chunk from few sides, and they do it asynchronously, I believe the only way is that all resources are pregenerated.

EDIT: Didn’t mean to reply to you @Steggs101. Those reply buttons… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The terrain is almost certainly stored in an array. It’s likely the resources are generated as you described but I’m curious whether or not the caves themselves are randomly generated too. If that were the case then there wouldn’t be an issue with caves becoming depleted.

I doubt they are, but have no evidence. If they were you could build a small shack deep in cave, and wake up next day only to find out, you are blocked from the rest of the world, by tons of rock.

1 Like