Are things going a bit slow?

Hi guys,

I’ve had this thought for a while and wanted to share with community and see what do you guys think. Basicly if you look at the earlier videos on youtube and look at the current state of the game, there’re not that many improvements. I mean ofcourse there has been lots of updates(new servers, new items, new textures, etc) but in terms of gameplay and things you can do in game, i cannot see many improvements. In a regular mmo you can do bunch of different things(different kinds of farming, pvp, pve, social stuff with other players[emotes,etc]). Now i know that this is not a regular mmo and still pre-alpha state. What makes me worried is in my “opinion” things are going reaaaally slow. There are tons of things in introduction trailer which aren’t in game yet. Guilds, titans, monsters, decent combat system and many other things. I could understand that implementing new systems(guild system, combat system, emotes) may take some time but can’t we at least get new types of blocks/ building mechanics every month or once in 2 months. Anyways, this is what i think. Let me know what you guys think about the progress of the game and if i’m being too pushy with these things.

1 Like

atm they are doing Alot, hence why the devs aren’t really talking to us due to the fact they are actually very busy now trying to get things done

4 Likes

a normal mmo is still a finished game, this is still a (pre) Alpha Version, dont forget this. so its still normal that u can do not so much thing like wow or gw2.

2 Likes

I have been a very proud supporter (and defender to some people i have talked to about it) of this game for a while, and usually pretty active in the community, but I am starting to lean towards @acarx view on this.
I believe the team is working hard, but I remember back when update 100 was supposed to be HUGE. it came and the devs said, well 100 isnt going to be so big, but instead we are going to do a lot of small updates over the next few weeks with a lot of content coming out.

The last update was almost a month ago, and all that was in that one was lava flow…

I hate to complain, I know you are working hard and take our comments into consideration and direct the game towards our input. I really love the devs for this game, but I do feel as if development is falling behind and I would like to know if thats true or just my perception…

EDIT: I want people to understand, im NOT mad, and im definitely not wanting people to start grabbing pitchforks, I would just GREATLY appreciate somewhat of a roadmap of hey we expect big things in the next …x…y…z - Or even small things? I understand that deadlines and goals are going to be missed sometimes so dont think im trying to hold you to a HARD date on anything, but I definitely dont think 1.0 will be Q4 2015 or Q1 2016

6 Likes

I’m along the same thoughts as you, b00n. I adore this game and ramble on about it to all my friends. I’ve even convinced some to keep tabs on it and possibly support it. However, most of them are along the lines of “wait and see”. With the amount of other crowd funded games going right now, this one is just another in the stack to them.

I have so much hope for this game, and I think the Dev team is simply awesome and amazing. I am nervous though. Because the game relies on our money to keep going, we need to continue to attract players and get them interested in supporting. I think we are winding down too soon, and we need something special to really pick the support back up.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly! They need to come up with something special, something that would make people who already know about this game talk with their friends maybe post that special stuff on their social media and make other people who haven’t heard of this game yet think about supporting it. The reason i and probably most of people bought this game is not because what this game has to offer at the moment but what it can offer in future. A friend of mine saw me playing this game on steam and asked me about it but sadly i couldn’t come up with something that might make him interested enough to buy this game. So yeah if devs could come up with somewhat bigger and actually gameplay improving update i think a lot more people would consider supporting this really high potential game.

2 Likes

My hopes are that the next big update will lead to the alpha of the game. At least the timing would be right cuz it was mentioned for early 2015 before. They talked about a better HUD and some other topics so let these come… As fast as possible.

1 Like

Valid concerns here, I feel your pain. Trust me, we’d love to be adding amazing new features :doug: every week – if this were possible we’d be doing it :wink: Unfortunately this is a case of expectations meeting reality: games take quite a long time to make. Especially so with a high quality bar, we want to meet expectations on this game.

Especially so with a game at such an early stage of development. For example, we’re working on a client+server MMO damage system – that takes a month. Once we’ve added it, tested it, made sure it’s robust we can start adding new weapons, which require art, animation… the list goes on. If we were making a single player game I’m sure we’d be able to get things out a bit faster, but that’s not the case.

Obviously, we want people to back and support the game, but don’t worry about us disappearing! :smile: We’ve been totally transparent in the past and we’ll continue it going forwards. Also, as we’ve mentioned before: Oort Online isn’t our only revenue stream. We (Wonderstruck/Turbulenz) have a number of products: The Marvellous Miss Take, Polycraft, GA.ME, Turbulenz Engine etc.

The best publicity for the game is, unsurprisingly, a better game! That’s what we’re 100% focused on. Gameplay and awesome visuals. Full time. Everyone. I know it feels a little slow, sometimes if feels as if we’ve gone quiet. But when we’re quiet it’s usually a good thing, because means we’re working super hard! Releases take us significant amount of time, and we think it’s a worthwhile investment, but sometimes we need to knuckle down and get stuff done :smiley:

And just in case you don’t believe me and you think we’re all sitting on a beach, here’s the team at work (although some people are out to lunch :wink: )

14 Likes

Still waiting for the video of the office and workers that you promised me a long time ago xD

I honestly think it would be good both for those of us who are interested in how the office is, but also for those who consider buying the game, i know personally for me the biggest selling point for oort was that you guys showed yourself as human (which i have mentioned before) you interact with the community, comes with concerns and are just plain out honest.

So definately want more information on who the team consists off and how the office looks.

4 Likes

The Devs live on the surface of the sun. Illubenati confirmed.
https://forum.oortonline.com/uploads/default/409/74a168124a909f57.png
(Image by @zeathoros )

2 Likes

old joke, died a long time ago, just dont xD

3 Likes

the setup is real, i think that is a snowball, love the DIY extension to the coffee table. :wink:

2 Likes

I live next door to a church that is currently building an addition
So, I figure it’s like that
For months and months construction workers scurried around appearing to do nothing at all
but they weren’t doing nothing
they were laying the sub-foundation and building the foundation
it doesn’t look like much and takes a long time
but, when that was done the rest of the structure went up fast and now it looks noticeably different every day

4 Likes

its the same with alot of things when making a cake, you first need to get the essentials, flour, butter, milk and sometimes you need to get more things ready, then u do the mixing it takes a while, but eventually u have done now your on the baking stage. this is the long process you can’t see, but things are happening behind doors, then the final part which is the filling of the cake and the decorating that constantly happens.

we at the moment are on the baking stage of the next update, the art was an ingredient, the surveys were the mixing as well as getting inputs from us. then once the baking is finished we get an update it will need polishing and some cleaning up and that is where the decoration comes in.

3 Likes

i literally just compared Oort Online to a cake. i am a official Pro.

2 Likes

@kerpie Not a terrible metaphor :stuck_out_tongue:. In some ways it’s like making lots of cakes, throwing out the ones that don’t taste nice and then making a massive version of the tastiest cake.

:cake:

4 Likes

oh but ben here is a question. everyone is is wondering that things are going slow do you have like a estimated guess of when a new update will be (all i really want is to be able to move water)

2 Likes

The curve how a game is made is rather an slowly rising one, at the beginning the progress is really slow since you have to develop at many placed at the same time, still panning a lot of things, and you encounter many problems you have to solve and maybe you have to change some idea and redo things completly, when the game has a specific state, like beta state for example everything will go much faster,

you just need to be patient

3 Likes

You guys get a massive amount of extra points for the Totoro on the wall there. Kawaii! :wink:

3 Likes

YES. it was Totoro it was called, i recalled having seen it before but i couldnt remember the name of it xD