Art: Mystery Box concept

My opinion on this is that as the game is buy to play, you should go the overwatch route, but make the items drop as something that can be consumed before use so they can be traded. The only other thing to add is to make user submitable skins.

EDIT, changed pay to play to buy to play,

0 voters

Pay to play means an ongoing subscription, buy to play means a one-off purchase and you don’t pay more to play it. You may have mixed that up.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of the way Overwatch is doing loot boxes, personally. Though, I am not sure I see how that system will fit into what I have seen in boundless so far. OW boxes work because there is no level cap, and you get a box every time you level up. Will these perhaps be purchased via both earned in game currency and real money? I would like a system that allows a player to earn currency for boxes in game or purchase with real cash.

1 Like

Whatever it is, i dislike the question signs. They are not “boundless”.

If there should be something on it, write the word “random”, “surprise”, “luck” or whatever in oort on it.
Or invent Oort signs for . ? and ! and then put the oort alphabet ?-similar sign.

If non of this, i prefer the ones without the “?”.

However, the question signs really remind me of super mario coin blocks. Not good!

3 Likes

In extension to havok. I played a bit of GW2 back in the day and one thing i really enjoyed was the dye system (i am a sucker for cosmetics) but one thing i found awesome was the fact that mobs had a random chance of dropping an unidentified dye which could turn into anything. but at the same time you could craft hues of dyes with cooking of varying rarities and material costs and buy them at cash shop. so this meant that dyes was

A) dropped at low rates by mobs
B) Able to be crafted
C) Able to be purchased for real money.

i think something along those lines could work? like i know its not a classic mmorpg in the whole “boar can drop a twohand greatsword” but it could still be found in chests, titans, whatever. just found in the world. could be crafted by the crafter profession.

to sort it out you could have “rarities” of wearables (i know its subjective how good something looks but from plain metal pants to flaming lava pants of death) and then have A) be all over the spectrum (common to super rare. obviously rare being harder to get) B) have various “max” rarities (so you can make a common random wearable but you can also make a super rare random wearables for waaay harder to get materials) and then C) would be cashshop purchaseable and have a guaranteed chance of a certain wearable rarity.

The problem with this system and with chests would be that you would need a “Collection” system akin to trove (which has done a dang good job of it) and im not sure if that is what the devs plan or they want them to be physical items.

Those are just my thoughts on it

4 Likes

Perhaps a bit of both:

6 Likes

I still vote for a shoe or something xD

In general just something that SHOWS a wearable icon. which type of wearable wouldnt matter too much to me.

1 Like

Added to yours and made a coat hanger :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ah, now I see why they made the wearables cosmetic-only.
To be able to sell them for money without being called a pay2win game.

1 Like

Most games just have outwear that you can put on the putside, see GW2 as an example.

So it is probably based on other stuff too.

2 Likes

Just that those games also have a “2nd layer” of armor that can only be obtained ingame, Boundless won´t have something like that afaik.
Besides of that:
Those games need that kind of extra revenue because they need to run massive servers that can handle the entire active playerbase. In Boundless a lot (I even dare to say most) of that load will be distributed across rented worlds/servers and those things pay for themselves.

@the devs

If you are already at introducing microtransaction:
How about this?

or even better:

I mean why just make some of the money if you can make all of it?

PS:

Apparently you were talking about a display of real-life wealth.
Can´t wait to grind wearables with my job, instead of doing it by playing the game.

Don’t you think you are a little bit overexaggerating?
just a little bit

EDIT:

No he wasn’t. You’ll be able to craft some wearables and some will be buyable. I don’t see how that would be bothersome to anyone…

5 Likes

Most games have 2 layer: 1 that provide stats (meaning the rings here) and one that is cosmetic, in this case the cosmetic as in other games can be obtained in 2 ways:

1 you play the game and get access to the ingame obtainable cosmetics
2 you pay some money and you get access to the payment obtainable cosmtetics

That is kinda assuming a lot, if the loot creates becomes unnecesary to supply the necesary revenue to keep a solid profit I assume that they won’t really become necesary and then we can talk about it.

And this is in no way comparable, there is a HUGE difference between access to cosmetics and resources that actually affect the game.

3 Likes

Vastar cracking me up on a relatively slow Wednesday afternoon. So much salt and bitterness hahahahaha.

Welcome to 2016, Vastar. Age of microtransactions! At least Boundless is nice enough to allow people to obtain wearables via the game and not ONLY from microtransactions.

I agree with @Thorbjorn42gbf, the mystery box isn’t game breaking by any means hahahaha.

3 Likes

That might pay for the servers, but it won’t come close to being able to pay for active development of the game (e.g. everyone’s salary).

4 Likes

If an approach like the Naughty Dog team took with UC4 is taken, that would be ideal. At the same time I reckon paying for wearables is absolutely fine. Name a better way for the team to make money…

I hope their isn’t going to create a have and have nots situation, I think it’s a bit depressing honestly. Whether it affects gameplay or not, it will create jealousy for cosmetics. If you get mystery boxes the odds are you won’t get something great most of the time, so to improve the odds, why not spend a little cash?

I hope that you make such a system more transparent in the future, drop rates, rewards, etc.

One approach where paid RNG rewards work pretty well is Hearthstone. Even if you don’t get the card you want, you can effectively trade in the ones you don’t want for the one(s) you do want. Gives you an out if RNG is particularly bad; and keeps it from being too depressing

2 Likes