Art: Race and wearable variations

Ok,I see what your saying,but I’m not asking for the final product will be and look like,just what they have so far,or what they’ve planned so far.

@ben if all wearables can be useful for everyone and that starter wearables still have its uses, do you have any systems in place to prevent people just going from tier to tier up to max within a few hours or so.

No offense intended. :smiley:

None taken, apologies if it seemed like that :smile:

1 Like

So, gear based classes could be viable and modified as easily as changing out a piece or two of equipment. Absolutely brilliant. I think you will eventually see a pattern of optimized builds become very popular, so I hope y’all plan to include gear which are specialized and / or generalized that can be interchanged to fit specific looks and playstyles, as well as different items with similar bonuses but varying appearances, besides just color swaps. Ex, a mage-like player and a warlock-like class may want gear with nearly identical bonuses, but the warlock may want a more spiky look and the mage may want a more arcane look.

4 Likes

Hmm, if you want to make wood, stone, nothing, and some rare resource of gear all equally viable to wear, then I am now even more interested in learning about your plans for player progression. Also makes me curious about what the plans are for resources from higher tiered worlds if they aren’t necessarily going to be used to make better gear. What will the point be in advancing to the highest tier worlds if their resources aren’t used for progression?

6 Likes

Perhaps some of those unique materials can be bound to others for enhanced or added effects? Ex, if stone armor = better digging, and iron armor = higher defence, then perhaps stone armor + iron enhancement = dig bonus + a % of iron’s armor bonus.

3 Likes

Perhaps. Still curious about player-based progression. And wondering if this means dealing with tougher opponents on higher-tiered worlds will be dependent on skill instead of gear/abilities?

3 Likes

I really hope that skill is more important then equip or xp (if there is any). Of cause the equipment will have an influence on the gameplay and has to support your concept (on many more different ways when unlocking new tiers), but finally the skill of the player should be more important.

1 Like

I agree. I’m just a hoarder in video games with crafting and enjoy stockpiling valuable materials. But usually it’s because they’re worth something. So hopefully there’s another use for high-tier materials if they aren’t going to be used too much in gear.

4 Likes

What if all mats ingame are worth the effort hoarding them? May be we need this mats also for repairing and/or fueling the equipment? What if they are quit hard to get on higher tiers so that they are with much because they are “really” rare (and not only because you have to get there to farm them, but because it is dangerous even when we’ll equipped)? What if you can combine lower tier mats with higher ones so that you may need all of them to build special equipment mixes?

I think all that would lead to making them worth the work and hoarding :wink:

2 Likes

Hehe, all of that probably would make gathering and collecting items worth it. We just don’t know enough at this point! Can’t wait to find out more in the future!

3 Likes

For the worth of mats I personally really hope that there are also very rare important mats on lower tier worlds. On that way those tiers will stay important for trading/economy and a good side effect would be that they are never empty or only filled with people who just want to level as fast as possible :wink:

1 Like

And just back to topic:…

I would like Oort to avoid any “set Bonuses” through wearing a complete set of items of the same material. With such a bonus people would feel to have to wear “single mat sets” which would lead to less unique looks of the characters.

Surely there will be sets of different parts which are more preferred then others, but at least we should not have groups of stony people all around :wink:

1 Like

are we not going to comment on the fact that ben said diffetent in italics? Does this not only confirm tents, but that there will also be multiple tents?! (Hyping for hype sake)
snarkiness aside, I am so glad you guys are doing this. The armor was a problem in minecraft because it covered up your only customization (the skin) and looked terrible in general. Really stoked to see you guys are paying attention to design issues that I think are important too!

I think having a bonus to agility/speed with no armour equipped could be useful for newer characters as they could (possibly) outrun more armoured players and escape the inevitability of death (for now).

Uh… I would not have noticed the typo if you had not mentioned it. In fact, I didn’t even realize it until I read your post, then ben’s, then yours again just trying to figure out where the oort tents were mentioned.

As for the plan for armor design, Oort is so far beyond MC that it’s almost not even a fair comparison. I don’t think a single person at Wonderstruck even thought “know what, let’s do armor like Minecraft, only better”. They probably said hey, let’s look at the best games out there, break down what people love so much about their armor sets and condense that down into a concentrate, then mix in double the awesome factor. The Oort armor system then became self aware and declared itself supreme master of all armor systems. Mc’s armor system now worships it as a god, and builds massive monuments in its honor, just hoping to catch it’s god’s attention. But the Oort Armor System does see the Mc armor system. It sees it with a mixture of pity and disdain. Too long, the Mc system has existed in its buggy, broken, uninspired state. It has refused to develop and grow, and has instead stubornly clung to its archaic ways. Some day, the divine Oort system will descend from its alter of development. It will scour the earth of minecraft’s influence, and all else shall prosper.

So it is written, so it shall be.

6 Likes

To be clear I didn’t say you couldn’t or wouldn’t be able to dress up like a Liberace tribute act, I expect you will be able to (and that gear may become available at a later stage in the game), but I was suggesting that by default that wouldn’t be the best gear. It may be as good as the first bit of gear that you get in a different way (or to use a coder term: orthogonal). This is so you’re no penalised for choosing a wearable item for its visual look, and hopefully increasing the player variability as much as possible.

6 Likes

And we are very much still working all this out, but I think this general direction is where we’re headed :thumbsup:

5 Likes

The blue one with purple armor and the big teal guy are my favs…but love all of them cant wait to see in game :slight_smile:

3 Likes