Art: Race and wearable variations

ben wait a second. do you mean you want the armors to be similar with just a little difference or all unique but hard to chose between at the end game?

He doesn’t want there to be THE armor set that everyone goes after and gets and wears, making us all look like each other. Instead there’s going to be a variety of different gear that all has positive benefits but nothing that is too far apart from the others in terms of “stats” or whatever.

In most games, gear progression is like a vertical tree. The higher you get in level, the better the gear gets but the fewer branches/choices there are. With Boundless, it’ll be more like a…rather long, flat bush. Not much different in terms of higher level, but many more options/branches available for the overall game.

I’m not sure any of that (what I wrote, not the general idea) makes sense to me even. Time for more tea…

3 Likes

it makes sense now, great analogy! thanks. and btw i will edit the entire thread “About Armor/clothes” again to make it more general and open a new thread for the suggestion.

How about some heavy armor too, that will block some movement, but provide a lot of protection? And then crossbows that can pierce this armor better than other weapons.

It’s been stated before that the devs don’t plan on wearables adding a significant amount of damage protection. They would rather have wearables be cosmetics for the most part, so players can look how they want without having to worry about how much their armor actually protects them.

1 Like

I get where he is coming from though, I personally always liked the look of heavily armored knights and such. Large gauntlets, heavy pauldrons, and a helmet with only slits for eyes. Even if the armor value was non-existant, you know just by looking that this is an armor set built for war.

4 Likes

Such a “heavy” armor can have other benefits that are not passive damage relatad, like a knockback or push resistance (thinking of explosions or heavy attacks) or give a “to use” skill which pushes enemies away from the player or that gives a damage resistance for a short time … .I also want to have heavier armor then just some nice braclets and knee protectors :wink:

2 Likes

Ah I see. I like the idea of wearing things for looks as well. In other games sometimes I will like the look of one set of armor, yet another set is better but not as showy. So that as actually a good idea! How about some kind of ore you could find and harvest that you could put onto a belt, and have a perishable shield about you? Idk just throwing out some ideas haha :smile:

3 Likes