Atlas heat map update (and a trick how to force it on PC)

Does anyone know if the atlas heat maps are updated at a specific time each day and if so is it across all servers at the same time. From what I understand they supposedly update once every 24 hours but if for example that is at midnight GMT then anyone on the EU servers who has to do those annoying little things like sleep, go to work etc etc by the time they get home and log in to play in the evening the maps are already at least 19 hours out of date, whereas someone somewhere on the opposite side of the world when they log in they will see a fresh updated heat map. I realise this is probably a very simplified theory of how atlases update and work but it would also explain why absolutely every location I go to for major resources such as gems are always already empty and the atlas is for all intents and purposes useless.

3 Likes

There is talk about making it update more frequently… as of now it updates when it updates and with the new regen rate…
Its useless…
Just go to the white hot mass and farm till you find some…
Note… the hot spot may only be 1 to 3 blocks depending on planet…

Yeah I’ve been having this same problem even before the game went live. On the old planets, Munteen VII was the only place you could get amethyst and it spawned in quite low numbers as opposed to diamonds which were on Andooweem. When it was brought up then I was told that it would be balanced out with more resources being available because there will be more players but so far I am seeing exactly the same scenario.

1 Like

I’m hoping the next update fixes this, but I’m gonna @Jiivita and ask if you could make a video that tries to find out when the Atlas actually updates. I’d theorize that the easiest thing would be to find a small hot-spot, mine it and then check the Atlas until it updates. Very time consuming though

1 Like

Right now the regen rate is set to every 4 hours after no players are in the area… so mark it in your locations… like in a nice cave nearby resource… wait 5 or 6 hours after said mining excursion and then rinse and repeat…
I dont know how the regen bombs work but I’m fairly confident that is how some of these players are ending up with there inventories full of gems

Regen bombs don’t regenerate resources like iron coal gems etc only materials like rock sand dirt etc.

1 Like

World regen and map updates are not the same and regen bombs don’t respawn resources and resources don’t regen in exactly the same spot each time.

No but once said block have been regen said block are able to begin becoming a gem iron or whatever…
And the maps do not update as often as the world regens…
So an atlas showing an area as a hotspot that has been mined out could still say it’s a hot spot…

Yes I know, that’s why I was asking if anyone knows if the heat maps are updated at specific times. Are they updated client side or server side, is it at specific times, is it the same time for all servers or different times for the different servers due to time zones?

I’m fairly confident it is daily… atm…
They are looking into making it update WAY more frequently…
Like moments upon removal of said resource…
You can see the daily timer in your journal under feats if you didnt know…

1 Like

Well, right now i’m working trying to get rubies by mining.
Here is small amount of resources in extreme cases, but usually it is at least one vein with 4 or more blocks.
It is relatively easy to find if resources are there, cause it is usually proper vein, not cluster.

Problem is with current regen system resources are placed last.

Way too often yesterday I’ve mined solid rock to realize that none or very little resources are left. After some 4 or 5 empty runs I’ve decided that I’m being screwed by regen. Someone, maybe many someones mined out everything, regen kicked off, managed to get all all rock at the bottom (imho rubies are around 13 ± 4 or so) but still far from regenerating resources.

With how much people are running at gems planets I’ve concluded that mining rarest gems at weekend is not the best of ideas i ever had :frowning: .

Heat map is kind of useless and useful at the same time. I know there should be resources (and that is actually really helpful in case of rubies). I just don’t know if they were mined already or not - and that major pain in proverbial back cause there small pockets all over the planet and hard to tell if someone mined them out or not.

4 Likes

That is the goal in one of the future updates… to have to atlas update shortly after a resource has been mined so when the next guy shows up it will show it as nothing instead of the hotspot you just mined out!!

This is exactly the same problem I’m having, as maps only update once a day it makes a huge difference when that time is and in what part of the world you’re in at the time.

1 Like

I know that devs planned to work on atlas, didn’t know that they had publicized how. :slight_smile: Good to know.

The daily timer in your journal is game wide I’m pretty sure… so it wouldn’t matter if it was 6 am here and reset was at 6 am in europe… reset is at that time in your journal

Yes but 6 am in game time could be the difference between when someone has got home from work and logs in to have a totally fresh updated map as opposed to someone on the other side of the world who has just gone to bed and won’t be back online for nearly 19 hours so their map is nowhere near as accurate because most of the resources would probably of already been mined.

It would make sense that the heat map update happened on the daily update. Will have to do more research… :nerd_face:

Right now you have 17 hours and 45 minutes till reset so at around 9pm central standard time the atlas will reset…
But giving the regen rate and the rate or bomb mining… those resources could be available now… or in the we hours of the morning when everyone is sound asleep

Ok if it works that way, ill login tomorrow around 7 central and mine out a spot and see if the atlas updates at 9 to show less resource.

2 Likes

That would indicate that for the UK the map resets at 1 am. By the time I get home and log on it will already be at least 16-17 hours out of date by which time as different people from different time zones log in and look for them those hot spots could of been visited many times by different people so not only are the gems already gone and the map outdated but regen would also be repeatedly interrupted.

1 Like