Australia Servers too much lag + question

and funny enough - I have problems on all servers and somehow AU are playable - worse than others, but not to extend that would make it impossible to go there and mine for a few hours or kill some creaters

well all i can say is *get your orders in for diamonds now - there are many of you - little time and i have small pockets :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: *

win me \o/

The other thing about all this server side lag - it has to also be the way gleam renders? i know i don’t have the best set-up but with every single GFX on LOL appart from distance on epic Therka is the WORST for rendering (the same as elop portas - the city) any other place renders faster (i mean when there is no world when you exit a portal and you are sky-walking

There are various lag subjects, the most common are the network connection and the low frame rate. For network if your connection to the relevant Amazon data center is not good then you will not have a good experience on those servers. If it ok then you can go in to the option and lower the chunk download rate and increase the chunk cache size which can help if its stressed. The up coming update of live will bring over the optimizations that are on the testing branch so should help too.

For low frame rate again you can alter the graphics setting in the options to find something that work well for your PC. The drop in frame rate around many portals is something we need to optimize further.

4 Likes

ok cool - i am just trying to say that i am not calling you devs out or anything - i am just saying what i have personally experienced against what others have told me - i am not a teccy so do not know if game side or our side - all i am saying is - if so many people are experiencing the exact same issues then it has to be your side not ours - just saying thats all :slight_smile:
Cheers @michaelb

OK. I just found this out today by chance. If you have QOS turned on on your router, and you are experiencing lag, turn it off. Apparently, the QOS function on the router can cause lag. I had my QOS on my router on and it was causing me some serious lag (as in lots of jittery movements and rubberbanding all over the place). After I turned it off, there was drastic significant improvement. It went from absolutely not playable with like over 4k ping every so often down to normal playable ping.

3 Likes

Is standard off here. :cry:

I have bunch of colleagues in AU, they constantly complain about how their internet is very slow compared to the rest of the world. Turns out AU is in kinda specific situation regarding ISPs and connectivity to the rest of the world. I guess that could also be part of the reason that it’s slow access from some parts of the world to AU.

Sad face, I like this ideia. Maybe excluvise resourcers by region is too extreme, but I like the idea that some resources are more commom in one server than the other. It makes market places and player interaction more relevant.

About lag in AU servers: I’m playing from Brazil and I don’t get more lag in AU servers as other servers. I usually lag in places with lots of portals, while chunck loading, like Pixel Gate and Terka Market.

Another thing in the lag subject. Why does the game sync back player’s camera rotation? When I’m lagging I can barely see around, the camera keeps coming back to the original position.

1 Like

Some resources will still be exclusive to specific worlds, but not by real-world geographical location (i.e. Emeralds won’t just appear on Australian servers), this should give all players a better opportunity to find things they want without having to worry so much about how far away the servers are located.

It sounds like your ISP has fairly consistent routing to all the servers, which is why the AU servers is not better or worse than other locations.

Being near multiple portals will mean that more chunks across multiple worlds will be downloading and caching to your machine, which may be saturating your connection … you could try reducing your chunk download rate as suggested in this thread :-

This is basically due to the server not getting a response from the client (possibly for the above reason of a saturated line), so it is unable to update on the player position (the server needs to know your position as other players need to know that you’ve moved also). As the client has not received confirmation from the server that your last position has been saved, the client moves you back to the previous verified position, including the direction you were facing.

I hope I made that understandable … !

TL;DR

Try reducing your chunk download rate and see if that helps :wink:

1 Like

Oh… I’m sorry, I’m probably the one not expressing myself well :confused:

The idea here is that I agree that resources shouldn’t be server exclusive, but I like the idea that some resources are more commom in diferent servers.

• How is now: AU have 100% of all Emeralds in game
  • How looks like will be: AU will have 25% of all Emeralds in game (100% divided by the number of servers)
  • How I think I should be: AU would have 50% - 75% of all Emeralds in game

Why? I think it would stimulate market around cities and guilds. Players will always tend to do whats easier - they will probably going to Emeralds in their server if 25% of Emeralds in all server.

Yep, I already have everything set up correctly, I was just pointing out that to make devs know it’s working fine here.

I’m do not meant to be rude, but I know how it works ^^
My question is “Why sync camera rotation?”, the server needs to know clients camera rotation to send other clients and they render models looking to the right possition, but there’s no need to feed back to the client it’s own rotation.
For players position it makes sense to feed back since the server and the client need to have the same information, the same for opening a inventory or crafting items. In both of this cases a desync can allow cheating. But camera rotation? I think there’s no need.

PS: Sometimes I can walk ok with lag but my camera is super bad.
PPS: Maybe lag is not what causes the problem, but it is best thing that I can think of.

Well, your camera rotation does matter when you fight and aim - you might be not changing your world position but change direction you face to shoot at a creature and server does need to know your exact aim. The same with aiming at blocks when mining or building.

If only there was a way to separate “viewing” camera rotation from “aiming” camera rotation than the first could be made not important for server to update every instant. If there was a view mode of sort in which you can’t fight or mine or interact with environment, than you could have that one working without constant server update of camera position - you would simply see the world around in the latest known state that has been received from the game server and it would be your problem if you don’t see a spitter getting close right away. :wink:

I don’t know if this helps or not. There are some free VPN’s. The one I’m familiar with is the browser Opera has VPN built into it and is free. I don’t know if it’s possible to use while playing a game. There are also some fairly inexpensive VPNs available or that are combined with a useful product. One example is ProtonMail which has a very good VPN they offer (I have a paid version, but, there is a more limited version I believe that is free for ProtonMail customers).

I hope that helps somehow.