Back to grinding (feedback on live update)

A question about the new block health that I don’t believe anyone has asked yet:

If I place a lvl 1 world block (ex. stone) on a lvl 5 world, will it suddenly take more hits to pick it back up now? what about vice versa i.e. lvl 5 blocks on lvl 1 world?.

2 Likes

I totally agree with the first part of your comment. It’s like you’ve read through my mind what I’ve concluded while doing the testing. :smile: On the latter part, however, I think that suggestion somehow negates this balance update. As a beginner, I’m not seeing enough reason not to mine on harder planets given that higher tier blocks will also be available.

I think this update is going on the right way. Starter planets seems to be more easier now (except for the wildstock which seems to be a bug as they have 4 bars of HP!?). For people not willing to mine on harder planets due to difficulty, they might not be cut to be a miner. They could just buy those harder to mine blocks.

As a dude with only silver hammers, I’m finding enough reason to mine on harder planets for the sole reason that they have higher tier blocks. I can handle the hassle of returning to my home planets to restock my woods/stone (for stone hammer and others) and let the big boys have their sweet time just staying on the harder planets just because they can. :grin:

Edit:
The only problem I’m seeing right now is that higher (tinted) blocks would not have enough market? They are harder to mine (so more expensive) but are not “more” beautiful per se. Personally, I prefer earth like structure so that would be the tints on the starter planet. I don’t think I’ll be buying much of tinted blocks ^^

The second part of my post was to address the issues some people are experiencing with this change.

For one part, this alone satisfy my needs for progression. Others are willing to look into alternative ways to satisfy those needs without the added hassle. I was just suggesting alternative ways to reward that sense of progression.

Just as other games handle more difficult creatures, granting more exp and better loot. We could apply the same to Boundless creatures and blocks. Blocks with more HP don’t only grant a more exclusive and “rare” tint, while being harder to mine, they also add an increased loot for mining it or higher exp. It doesn’t revoke the feeling of progression, but also mantains the feeling of reward for the sacrifice when compared to it’s counterparts. While the tint may be a huge incentive for certain people like myself, some may need the added reward on top.

To be honest, I didn’t consider balance when suggesting what I did, but it doesn’t break balance at all IMO.

PS: That’s why I was suggesting for one tint not to be exclusive to one world. As some people love the color scheme of starter worlds.

2 Likes

Comparing to other MMOs, I’m starting to understand the need for higher exp blocks. As leveling up gets hard, mining on harder planets will be rewarding on skilled miners and forces a natural stock of higher tier blocks to the market in general.

What I’m worried about is, unlike in other MMOs where higher exp monsters or loot = risk of death, these blocks are just stationary there. If I get 1 exp per rock on starter planets, I could live with 2 exp or even 1.5 exp per rock on harder planets even if it’s twice as long to mine them. An encounter with higher tier blocks along the way makes the trip a whole lot more rewarding.

Currently, I honestly can’t think of incentives that wouldn’t be disruptive to the balance.

OK but this will not be the case. Some players will be able to user higher material tools and upgraded characters to 1 hit all blocks on all levels of world. So all players will not mine on planet A.

This is a bug and will be fixed. Input colours should be directly proportional to output colours. The current glitch will be removed.

I’d need to check. Ideally there would be some variation in them. It’s Ollie’s area.

Yes - the Level is defined by the world and not the block itself. We did explore added Level 1 Rock and Level 2 Rock, but this exploded the number of blocks and made smart stacking / inventory management / and crafting all confusing. Did we want to generate a Level 3 Storage Block? Why??

So we concluded that it was sufficient to do it via the world.

The starter worlds will be “Earthlike” and the higher levels will be more “Otherworldly” and use a wider variety of exotic colours.

But there will be more dangerous creatures on the harder worlds. And they will spawn underground. It’ll be more dangerous as you describe in other MMOs.

6 Likes

Well, with these information, I beg your pardon! Just removing everything I wrote (except for the more xp for harder blocks part), already like the new system! :blush:

James, I think one thing that would make harder-to-mine basic blocks “worth it” for many players would be that, in case of PvP planets or hostile mobs capable of damaging player structures (O.o) the higher-tiered worlds’ blocks would be more resistant to damage/displacement or immune to (some/most/all?) creatures of the tier of the world they were mined/dug/chopped from.

This would give a lot of incentive to mine harder “basic” blocks on higher tier worlds… you NEED them to make it so your structures there (and on PvP worlds) don’t get destroyed, as well as them being even sturdier still versus mobs from lower tier worlds.

This would also lead to those blocks being worth more on the market, as well as more interesting structures as people try to mix and match. You might like the color of a lower tier block, but you need to protect it on the outside with a higher tier covering, etc.

Edit: You could even give colored blocks different attributes, such as, for example, red blocks being somewhat more resistant to fire/heat damage, yellow/green blocks resistant to acid, etc.

3 Likes