Beacon minimum prestige requirement

Yet another suggestion for dealing with empty plots. This one much more complicated.

Allow campfire to be filled by for example trunks with max time 3 days.
Restrict beacons to be able to be filled when outpost has at least 300 prestige.

This would result in way harder hoarding of underdevelop plots , cause players would not be able to just plot beacon, add fuel and forget about it for weeks or indefinitely if player would be a member of glean club.

Way faster turn around of empty reservation, while players who build something would still be able to have convenient way of feeling beacons.

2 Likes

This is a good solution actually and goes some way to dealing with the problem.

It’s a nice idea, but I don’t know exactly how much it would help. Either the amount of prestige required to beacon is low enough that it’s doesn’t prevent the issues it’s trying to, or the amount of prestige required to beacon is too much so that it negatively impacts any newbies to the game.

With regards to people who plot and don’t stick with the game:
If they were to make changes like that, they would have to include it in the tutorial. I imagine most people would probably be more spurred on to reach X prestige to carry on the with their objectives, which would prevent this from having the desired effect.

With regards to people plotting for reserving space
If a person has enough plots spare that they are plotting land to reserve for later, I can almost guarantee that they’ll have access to enough building materials to meet a minimum requirement check.

I wouldn’t have any problem with the developers implementing something like this (so long as it’s clear how it works in the tutorial), but like I said, I don’t think it would really have the effect you’re hoping for.

I agree with everything you said. What it deal with are beacons put down by newbies who then went on their merry way somewhere else and forgot about reserved space.
Especially consider that newbie see great city, stick out beacon, hangs out a bit than find really nice place he want to settle.

There is nothing much you can do about people reserving space, they will always find a way.
But with them you usually can communicate cause they know what they need and reserve more than 1 plot :stuck_out_tongue:

Bigger problem is with casual newbie who made tutorial next to capital and then went on his merry way somewhere else.

The game has very limited bounds, and hence the name I presume. And all you people want to bound it more. There is really no issue with the system how it works. There is a problem with people who complaint about others not doing with their plots. They want to have and eat a cake. They won’t them plots to be nice, but they want others to do the job.

Want a nice plots around your base? Think ahead, take them for yourself, and do whatever you think would be nice enough with them. in other words: UNACCEPTABLE!

It’s almost like evicting neighbours, just because they don’t move their lawns, and don’t push fresh paint on their house now and then.

4 Likes

Well true. Maybe in time it will sort itself when influx of newbies will be much smaller and capitals will stabilize somewhat. I still think that going straight from 30 minutes to few weeks is too much and need something in between.

I have no problem with people not mowing the lawn or painting a house, it’s leaving the whole place derelict for long periods with no recourse for the people who actually want to you know, build and develop an area in a building game.

I think this is somewhat better but I can trivially undermine this protection by just carrying a stack of high-value prestige blocks with my beacon control and fuel. The problem with designing for the extremes (griefing or unintentional) is that you affect everyone in order to deal with a few and in the process usually don’t stop the problem you were trying to address in the first place.

1 Like

So it’s ok, to evict the old lady’s from the next door, destroy her ruined house, just because you want to build a beautiful pool in that place? :frowning:

Sorry for the analogy, but they work best. Your freedom stops right there were your neighbour freedom starts. Everyone has full right to do the hell they want with their plots.

2 Likes

I know analogy is useful but we are taking one extreme real life based event and applying it to a building game, it just isn’t the same. In real life the old lady and I have various legal mechanisms that protect or support a claim on land. Here we rely on the programmed mechanisms by a developer, hence the questions and issues being raised, not just by me too.

If this old lady would live in literal swamp next to suburbs I would consider helping her out. Failing that maybe I would consider it, depending on severity. If this nice old lady would make a damping ground next to suburbs while living in modest house few towns to the east, count on it.

1 Like

She’s an old lady, storm the barricades! :wink:

2 Likes

But you want to add a privilege system. Those who have more prestige, or totally subjectively nicer building should have more rights. Rights to plots they don’t own. Let’s go step further, and let viceroy of planet, or/and mayor of city get a % of your income. It’s just a game, why not introduce feudalism here? :thinking:

3 Likes

Was posted to the wrong thread

Rorfl. From when talking about game mechanics turned into political philosophy discussion. This is game we discuss here and concrete problem we want to solve, not decide what human rights should be and why.
This is getting ridiculous what people try to read into it.

But the problem is that you want to dictate how others should play. You want to introduce mechanics that will force other players to do certain things, you want to curb other players freedom of what they do with plots they claimed.

In my opinion the bad guys are You, and not the people who just put beacon and leave the plot to rot. It’s their plot, and they have a right to do or not do whatever they want.

3 Likes

There are many threads on this forum about similar things, each with ridiculous solutions. It’s hard to keep track.

Sorry I did not. . I am getting confused with all the threads about related topics I will remove

Edit: In any case I still do not like requiring minimum prestige for a beacon and it solves nothing Instead of empty plots you get ugly piles of stone on an empty plot. So now I all I have to do is lay down a beacon and 30 refined blocks and I am done. Takes a few more seconds but not much. I could chops trees down and make timber to also fill the requirement on the fly. No need to carry stuff. Now you have a floating tree and a stack of timber.

1 Like

I know right? It’s baffling :smiley:

Dictate how other can play? Sorry but that’s way out of scale for overreaction. I don’t care if you can’t keep track what you are replaying to, this is ridiculous.