Beacon Persistence - Pro-/Con-List and Polls

It kind of said no discussions in this topic… But I’d say this would also fall under balancing. Depending on what the maximum rate is you could as well never bully someone out of business.

I think that’d be considered griefing.

2 Likes

Its a brilliant Con to the suggestion.

1 Like

A possible compromise for the discrepancy between the “void vault” and the “raiding” faction:
Common mats (ores, food, usable stuff like potions or ammunition) stay in the beacon while ‘epic’ stuff like equipment, advanced weapons etc. vanish into said vault.
This would also be a good opportunity for a cashshop item: "Pay x bucks to get the most valuable stuff from your old (no longer existing) beacon back
I also want to mention that I think that preventing players from looting “epic” stuff is a necessity that hasn´t been mentioned yet…

2 Likes

Con:
It would prob be quite a huge deal trying to figure out what is “rare” and what is not. For example if you mention ores. you might not have any weapons but have ores to make weapons. or if you keep your gun what does it matter if your ammo is gone. etc.

2 Likes

Solution: Have the player choose what is most important to them to put inside any such vault (ender chest) but make it so that not every item can be saved. Players get to save what they, not the system, deem most valuable and they get to save that stuff but exploration of expire beacons and scavenging of left-overs is still viable.

2 Likes

Downside to that is that you’d lose all the machines you’ve built (I’m assuming that some machines will be expensive/difficult to build) - or just any block in the build that the player might consider “rare”

If MC is any indication, the things I care about in my “home base” are the rare ores (and their refined versions), misc item drops (e.g. monster loot), tools/weapons/armor, and the machines (crafting stations) I’ve built. It would be frustrating to leave and not have those preserved in some way.

2 Likes

Everthing above this line should be added to the Lists.

@Zouls: unfortunately i don’t know what will happen to the votes if i edit them now. This is not official anyway so the devs need to set-up their own survey if they want reliable informations. Sorry.

3 Likes

@Heurazio i would like to change my suggestion. Every item should be given back to a chest of redemption of the capital ON THE WORLD THAT YOU ARE IN. to keep it local, to avoid it being a universal enderchest for moving items (which i dont believe should be the point) and i assume it would also make it LESS rewarding to try and use it as anything other than a sort of “worst case” scenario feature.

So if you have beacons on 3 different worlds then your stuff will end up in 3 different capitals (it would be a bummer to figure out transport, but again i dont think it should be none punishing for leaving your beacon i just think you should not lose the stuff you have aquired)

Maybe just add it as a seperate suggestion noting the consequences of both choices? This way we have more ideas and veiws on possible ways to go about the problem even if they are not all equal good.

3 Likes

Con:
Would again end up in a whole “Prepare for when you plan to stop playing” scenario. Which seems kinda contrary to the suggested point of the system (to have measures for those who left without preparing for it)

Con:
How would it scale? if not every item could be saved would it then allow you to save a percentage of items? would it be possible to cheat the system by filling up your entire space with dirt blocks?

Pro:
Would make sure that atleast SOMETHING stays for looters if such a system were to be implemented.

1 Like

This is getting discusion-y just saying, ^.^

Try keeping to pros, cons and solution for the main problems and then later expand from there. This way we get a broader picture of possibilities. Before getting into detail and such.

3 Likes

Would be a discussion to argue if its good or bad. Right now we are just making a list. It is a con that a system relies on a percentage due to how that could be abused and a PRO that it always adds some consequence to leaving the beacon for too long and will always make sure SOMETHING stays for the looters. shrug

2 Likes

Semi Persistant Beacons

A beacons that will run on fuel for 3 months.

If fuel requirement is not met - beacon will remain semi active until either removed by owner or other player.

Pro:

• After a break with no fuel upkeep, chances are high your valuable work will stay in tact.
  • Gives eye sores a chance to be removed by the community
  • Allows for land take over in desired locations.
  • Adventurous players may possibly be able to loot build materials.
  • Eliminates ghost towns.
  • No natural regen without player interaction.
  • Encourages active play with fuel upkeep.

Cons:

• No natural regen without player interaction.
  • Requires upkeep with fuel system for perma builds.
  • I’m struggling here, please help???

Additional Cons - Credit @Zouls
-Would in most cases be most beneficial to remove it considering there is zero downside to it
-Even if 100 people wants a monument to stay all it would take is one guy to remove the beacon and steal all the stuff (unless someone else takes the beacon first)

Personal note:
Considering my current play trends this ticks so many boxes for me personally.
I tend to get excited about a build, protect it, build it, admire it. After the buzz wears off. I move on to a new project. My old build stays protected for some time while relevant and fresh in my mind.
To which I can choose - up keep and protect for 3 months. Or, leave it be. Then it’s up to the community to enjoy it, remove it, or even add to it.

Boy I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this!

The more I think about your idea the more I like it.
Credit: @Thorbjorn42gbf

5 Likes

Cons:
-Would in most cases be most beneficial to remove it considering there is zero downside to it
-Even if 100 people wants a monument to stay all it would take is one guy to remove the beacon and steal all the stuff (unless someone else takes the beacon first)

Potential system. If beacons WERE To disappear and things WERE to stay inside (which i still hope isnt the case). Leave the beacon expired with several options. as long as the beacon stays natural regen will leave it alone and people cant loot it. Let people interact with several options

A) Remove beacon and destroy everything inside the beacon for X price (you just want the spot)
B) Remove the beacon and instantly get everything inside of the area for 2X price (you just want the items)
C) Obtain the beacon and let everything stay inside of it for 3X price (so if you fall upon a sweet house you can just buy the house as it stands.)

Pro:
-Will allow for looting but it isnt just a free loot but rather a choice you have to make if it is worth it
-Will allow for those who wants the spots to get them even though they have to pay a bit more
-Discourages people from taking beacons just for the sake of taking them
-Allows for things such as monuments atleast until someone destroys it or refreshes it
-Would allow for people/clans/guilds to find an abandoned city and claim it for themself for a price (money to make up for convenience)
-Multiple steps with various prices allows for more people to use it for the thing they want to use it for (so they dont have to loot everything by hand or if they just want the area they dont need to tear down everything by hand)

Con:
-Setting a price on removing beacons might reduce the amount of people who are willing to pay for making the game more natural again
-Could quickly become a fairly expensive procedure to clear off larger areas.

7 Likes

Dude, like monopoly! Boom. I like it.

Also the risk vs reward, or not having something for nothing is a great suggestion imo.

P.S. This thread is fast becoming easier to read <3

1 Like

So ignoring the fact that I have no ideas about if this would work:

Continuing the work on the ender chest idea, what if instead of all items being removed from the beacon and transported to a chest, and the other idea with dropping your items in a special chest every time you log out.

You in your beacon ui could designate and amount of items/blocks/props as important, all items have a set value and only up to a certain value can be protected but that threshold grows as the player progresses, (this could probably be based on the total value of stuff inside the beacon) and when the beacon dies all these items is then trasported to the before mentioned chest, if some of the items is not in the beacon or some points are not spent the game will automatically remove stuff of the highest possible value until the full point vlaue is reached.

Does that make any sense`?

3 Likes

Pros:
-would make it alot harder to boost it just by dirt
-would allow people for some options to what they desire to keep.

Con:
-In a player run economy this would set a very clear and very defined prize of every items (not good)
-The devs would have to mark every single item with a certain worth. Which is fundamentally subjective (cloth might be worth alot to a tailor but not to a weaponsmith) and doenst take in
-The max value could be artificially increased by those who can afford it while punishing those who cant afford it. (making the richer, richer and the poor, poorer)

3 Likes

I think a way to scale it is what Vastar mentioned above:

It doesn’t necessarily have to be cash shop. Just give players a limited “budget” (# of blocks, or some other value) of items that they can retrieve from an expired beacon

1 Like

If that idea is followed probably let some of that coin go the owner so they have a stronger economy when they get in again if they still feel like establishing a new base.

A variation to the idea would be to set it to an item amount and jsut let the game judge what is high value if there is space left.

1 Like