Beacon Persistence - Pro-/Con-List and Polls

I will post again but 1 thing right now where I would see a “compromise” is having the top x% most valuable items or just a set list of items within the beacon be transferred to the void vault.

Beacons should remain permanent

Pros:

• It allows leaving tunnels, bridges and small shrines around the place for other players to enjoy

Cons:

• Would possibly result in dead city centers in cases where people make non guild cities

Temporary beacons

Pros:

• Would hinder the beforementioned dead city centers
  • Would posibly increase the overall ratio of “good” builds

Cons:

• Would possibly remove great landmarks left by other now inactive players

Circumstances of beacon expiration

Making so beacons could be cleared after a certain amount of time would possibly do something about the following some of the cons (landmarks, briges, small easter eggs and so on disaperaing)

Would it be possible to note that this is only in case of fueled beacons, as if the game just logs when you last where online and bases it on that this would not necesarily be true ^.^

Also @Heurazio I would suggest adding another lsit called possible solution. That would allow us to look at which kind of problems can be fixed through relatively simple game mechanics.

5 Likes

To add to the pros for temporary beacons:

Allows players to easily locate active areas instead of sometimes stumbling upon ghost towns if beacons were permanent.

To add to the possible solutions:

@Havok40k’s (credit where credit is due) suggestion about how using tools could build up charge automatically. This would be beneficial for miners and whatnot but could be less helpful for other professions so balancing would need to be looked into.

Also just so it’s mentioned, Ollie’s idea of sending multiple emails when a beacon is about to expire.

Finally, the idea of using Coins as the fuel, so people aren’t going out of their way to do extra fuel gathering/processing. It’s just a new coin sink outside of taxes. Could even make beacons draw automatically from your account every X amount of time so it’s not even considered extra work.

Edit: to add to the what should happen to items in the beacon:

Solution (Ender-chest type system)

Solution (Capital banking system, unique per world, run by Central Guild?)

Pro: Encourages exploration type play if these items are lootable.

Con: Someone may lose all physical item progression (but not skill progression).

4 Likes

A possible solution could also be to have the beacon decay rate being dependent on other peoples beacons in the proximity of your own.
This would lead to hidden beacons in the wilderness being intact almost forever but beacons in a town, where the demand for building space is high, would vanish much faster.

This system could easily be implemented in combination with other solutions mentioned for temporary beacons.

3 Likes

Quite nice. just questioning here. But if it isnt time based but instead fuel based. wouldnt that almost punish people for building next to eachother?

2 Likes

If it’s fuel based, I guess it kind of would if you look at it that way. But that really depends on with which systems you combine my suggestion.
You could also say that the prime locations in the city center cost more to upkeep.

4 Likes

If somebody wanted to get an area of land off of somebody, they could get a few friends to place beacons close to the beacon they want to run out? If there are enough people you could bully them out by making the other person not able to maintain the beacon, or to make it not worth while for them.

3 Likes

It kind of said no discussions in this topic… But I’d say this would also fall under balancing. Depending on what the maximum rate is you could as well never bully someone out of business.

I think that’d be considered griefing.

2 Likes

Its a brilliant Con to the suggestion.

1 Like

A possible compromise for the discrepancy between the “void vault” and the “raiding” faction:
Common mats (ores, food, usable stuff like potions or ammunition) stay in the beacon while ‘epic’ stuff like equipment, advanced weapons etc. vanish into said vault.
This would also be a good opportunity for a cashshop item: "Pay x bucks to get the most valuable stuff from your old (no longer existing) beacon back
I also want to mention that I think that preventing players from looting “epic” stuff is a necessity that hasn´t been mentioned yet…

2 Likes

Con:
It would prob be quite a huge deal trying to figure out what is “rare” and what is not. For example if you mention ores. you might not have any weapons but have ores to make weapons. or if you keep your gun what does it matter if your ammo is gone. etc.

2 Likes

Solution: Have the player choose what is most important to them to put inside any such vault (ender chest) but make it so that not every item can be saved. Players get to save what they, not the system, deem most valuable and they get to save that stuff but exploration of expire beacons and scavenging of left-overs is still viable.

2 Likes

Downside to that is that you’d lose all the machines you’ve built (I’m assuming that some machines will be expensive/difficult to build) - or just any block in the build that the player might consider “rare”

If MC is any indication, the things I care about in my “home base” are the rare ores (and their refined versions), misc item drops (e.g. monster loot), tools/weapons/armor, and the machines (crafting stations) I’ve built. It would be frustrating to leave and not have those preserved in some way.

2 Likes

Everthing above this line should be added to the Lists.

@Zouls: unfortunately i don’t know what will happen to the votes if i edit them now. This is not official anyway so the devs need to set-up their own survey if they want reliable informations. Sorry.

3 Likes

@Heurazio i would like to change my suggestion. Every item should be given back to a chest of redemption of the capital ON THE WORLD THAT YOU ARE IN. to keep it local, to avoid it being a universal enderchest for moving items (which i dont believe should be the point) and i assume it would also make it LESS rewarding to try and use it as anything other than a sort of “worst case” scenario feature.

So if you have beacons on 3 different worlds then your stuff will end up in 3 different capitals (it would be a bummer to figure out transport, but again i dont think it should be none punishing for leaving your beacon i just think you should not lose the stuff you have aquired)

Maybe just add it as a seperate suggestion noting the consequences of both choices? This way we have more ideas and veiws on possible ways to go about the problem even if they are not all equal good.

3 Likes

Con:
Would again end up in a whole “Prepare for when you plan to stop playing” scenario. Which seems kinda contrary to the suggested point of the system (to have measures for those who left without preparing for it)

Con:
How would it scale? if not every item could be saved would it then allow you to save a percentage of items? would it be possible to cheat the system by filling up your entire space with dirt blocks?

Pro:
Would make sure that atleast SOMETHING stays for looters if such a system were to be implemented.

1 Like

This is getting discusion-y just saying, ^.^

Try keeping to pros, cons and solution for the main problems and then later expand from there. This way we get a broader picture of possibilities. Before getting into detail and such.

3 Likes

Would be a discussion to argue if its good or bad. Right now we are just making a list. It is a con that a system relies on a percentage due to how that could be abused and a PRO that it always adds some consequence to leaving the beacon for too long and will always make sure SOMETHING stays for the looters. shrug

2 Likes