Beacon Persistence

I lose interest with games periodically, either because of burnout or to avoid it. I`m not representing anybody else, just what I tend 5o do.

2 Likes

So what @Combatman12 and @KuroKuma are saying is that yaā€™ll are only playing other games instead of the same game continuously. Thatā€™s what I was trying to clarify. Quitting gaming in general for 6-12 months sounded unlikely.

So the point Iā€™m getting at is it would be trivial to log in for a few moments every month or so to preserve your progress or such.

2 Likes

It would yes, but it would also subconciously extend the period I donā€™t want to play the game because it will always be on my mind instead of giving me the break I need.

4 Likes

If i could replenish the beacon by using resources i already own, taking seconds to replenish, yeah, why not.

2 Likes

Then let me ask this- I know that this community is massively against any form of micro transaction, but would you be willing to buy inexpensive 1-3 month recharges for your beacons from a cash shop? Iā€™m just sort of testing the waters here.

Edit- Iā€™d also like to see a way to store additional beacon charge that I could upkeep manually, like in my battery idea further up this thread, but this is for those other cases.

3 Likes

Definitely not, I bought the game under the assumption itā€™s buy to play. And this is definitely a game element that isnā€™t vanity in the slightest. (Vanity items being the only thing Iā€™d accept in a cash shop)

3 Likes

In reality it would basically be a data storage expense.

2 Likes

To be honest, @Zouls ā€œrantā€ switched how I think about the whole matter.
At the moment Iā€™d rather have them be almost permanent or at worst being charged with your idea of transforming work into charges.
But yes it would be data storage expense which should already be included in the buy price or compensated with the vanity items and server rents.

2 Likes

I think this (purchasable beacon lifespan) would be an acceptable option, but only if accessing beacon fuel is really as trivial as everyone asks for.

2 Likes

NO ^^ i am totaly against cash shop items. except the item would be reachable on a other easy way without real money.
so to speak (as example) , instead 30 minutes to play you can spend 5ā‚¬.

edit:

1 Like

Now thatā€™s pay to win ^^

1 Like

not real, because you can reach the same thing with 5 minuts play without money^^ read the complete text

Iā€™d counter that it is in fact pay to maintain. Youā€™re not gaining anything, only maintaining what you have otherwise left to rot.

2 Likes

It depends on what the item in question is.
If itā€™s a better sword which you could make yourself but buying it is also an option. Then itā€™s pay to win.
If itā€™s a skin you can aquire through playing or buying then itā€™s pay to fabulous which most of us donā€™t have a problem with^^

i accept a chash shop item if:

• it gives you not a playful benefit, like stats or better waepon (thatā€™s true and that was @Havok40k said)
  • and you can reach the item still without money, you change the playtime against money

the question here was over a expanding the time for a beacon

The base question was that yea. But not what I reacted to:

You speak here about cash shop items in general. If you meant the ā€œbeacon fuel expanderā€- item then you should have clarified that.

Iā€™m of the opinion if you donā€™t want to play a game for 6 to 12 months thatā€™s fine. Just donā€™t expect to come back and have your piece of the pie the way it was. I mean, we canā€™t be so entitled as to say I donā€™t want to be a part of your game for x time and then expect it to be exactly the way you left it.

ā€¦ if your work really is that important to you, Iā€™m sure the up keep every 3 month or so will not be that big of a hassle.
And if it is, you probably donā€™t care that much about your work for it to be a problem anyway.
Not to mention taking help from friends, guilds and community ect for upkeep is great for player interaction and responsibility within the world of Boundless.

The way I see it you can please the majority of active players, (which to me makes sense) Because theyā€™re the active majority, literally playing the game.
Or, you can favor those who would like to take a big hiatus. With that in mind, Iā€™m totally for meeting in the middle best we can. I just think the tipping point in the middle should slightly favor the active community.

P.S. Looting peoples builds would be a damn fun aspect to my gaming experience also, as well as taking over prime realestate when it becomes available too! Just saying :smirk:

3 Likes

ok i had addet the text to my first post, now no one can missunderstand it ^^

1 Like

Is there something behind this? like not to offend but somehow your comment makes me feel that your ā€œrewardā€ = punish the player who takes a break.

please Iā€™m sorry if that wasnā€™t what you mean but i think sadly that formula is behind others comments tooā€¦

I think that my suggestion for beacon decaying is still by far best here, quick recap:

I know I must seems pretty self centered right now, but bare with me here

This would give people time to attend to real life activities without a need to wonder about their structures for 1.5 month and half month to recover it if for what ever reason they canā€™t renew the beacon at the first stage.
Also you could use this system to make ruins for people to discover, if we had @Havok40kā€™s type fuel system you could exclude such beacons from automatic fueling, as far as I know this is player driven game so if you donā€™t have the imagination to see what such a thing could be used for donā€™t shoot down the idea without understanding of it.(last part not meant as insult for anyone disagreeing with my point of view, more of a ā€˜think before you talkā€™ statement)

I have to say that Iā€™d like permanent beacons too, but they have certain appeal for grief, so what Iā€™m going to suggest here is that you could request for permanent upgrade for your beacon control block.
Central Guild could possibly handle the request as in check the beacons sites if they qualify and so on, if you are granted the permission you could then upgrade the beacon block to a permanent(upkeep free) beacon. If the permanent beacon control block is harvested it will disintegrate, so it canā€™t be freely moved where ever.
If your request is denied you will have a cool down for next request, which would be 6 months(to discourage people spamming the CG with permission request for pointless beacons like space reservations and such).