Being a new player

I might be “playing” this wrong, but sometimes this game doesn’t really feel newbie friendly. I mean… I been playing for a couple of days and all I can get are stone tools. If I need to get some other tool… I need to completly revamp my character to get something usefull or being able to kill critters that for some reason (that run so fast)… cause if I am playing a miner I need to roll back and get some bones.

Like I said at the beginning, am I the only one that keeps rolling back on skills points in order to get simple tools like copper, I feel kinda stupid but at the same time I dont thing thats the way it was meant to be played.

2 Likes

Boundless can be frustrating at times especially early on. I have found it easiest to progress by playing with others and we work together to cover each of the things we aren’t good at.

Once you have some extra cubits you might want to start a second character to be your crafter instead of resetting your skills every time you need to make tools.

If you need any help or people to play with just ask on here or discord. This community is generally very helpful.

2 Likes

On what planet are you based? Someone might be in position to help you in-game

1 Like

Up until recently you couldn’t even respec for free. Maybe that’s taking you along a different thought process? If you’re keen to be mostly self-sufficient, I find points in Power most useful early on - helps with mining and shooting. Also the crafting skills for copper tools. You want to get onto copper as soon as possible.

If you’ve done the tutorials and some journal objectives you should have had to craft an atlas and drop an ore on it to locate it. Makes sense to use it to find a copper hotspot - typically under hills?

Not everyone agrees with this, but as soon as I have the first 600 spare cubits on a character, I use them to open a new character slot. I’d make a second character a “stay at home” crafter. Drop the crafting skills from the first character and put them on the second. The second should get maybe 10 levels from doing the tutorial. That’s 20 points to spend. Put 5 into Mass Crafting as soon as you can and Mass process all your rock to Refined - it gives your crafter XPs; it’s cheap to do; and it’s a better quality building material. The main hitch in this plan is the Refinery - it needs some slightly more exotic bits. However they’re not too expensive and I’d sell some leaves or lamella and buy the stuff to make the refinery.

Another thing not always obvious around this time; Peaty Soil is a good cheap fuel. I still use it after 6 months for backup furnaces.

Now you will be ready for a third character which could be a dedicated miner?

Good luck!

1 Like

I am somewhere in Angel 1, but that’s not really the point. Maybe I am wrong, but there isnt enough players around so… and some players just want to be self-sufficient.

Yeah… I thought about getting a new character, but I was afraid that cubits were a very limited resource

You will get cubits every time you level up. Since you are on Angel 1 maybe check out the capital Lil Porkchop. I’ve seen quite a few players around there.

1 Like

Regarding the population, yes it’s either feast or famine. You find lots of people or don’t see anyone for days. Depends if you go to a metro.

As for the cubits and characters, you sound a lot like me initially, and then I discovered each alt could make more than enough cubits to buy a new alt and about 200 plots.

So what you’re going to want to do is initially start out with a character and then buy a new char slot with your cubits. On the new char go through the same process until you can buy a new char and repeat as nauseum. Then once you’re happy with however many characters you have start specializing each one as you see fit. It’ll be a bit cumbersome and tiresome at first but once you get them going it really takes care of itself.

2 Likes

Basicly you need to build a small family first… lol

4 Likes

If you want to be self sufficient, sadly yes. The game isn’t specifically designed around that style of play though it can be done; it just requires a large time commitment.

1 Like

I’d concentrate on power and tool crafting. Make a copper bow to help with the critters.

Drop your coordinates hrre and I’m sure someone will drop you some noob gear, if you want.

1 Like

If you’re mostly looking to just get bone and tallow Initially but don’t have any points to spare for the slingbow then just go to some water and start mining some rock or sand etc along the shoreline and before long wildstock usually come along for a swim, but they can’t swim :slightly_smiling_face: so just end up drowning … very easy passive way to get storage blocks started.

3 Likes

You can get quite a way with just the first 2 - Hunter/Gather/Miner and Crafter. When any characters get to Level 19 have a think about what you want to do next because you lose the free respec. You will have a few Skill Reset tokens and you can buy more with Cubits, but no harm in taking stock of the situation at Level 19 just to be less wasteful.

I found my Crafter just carried on leveling and adding skills without much change. My first I fixed as a Miner/Builder and rolled a new Hunter (or the other way around, I forget). I only really have those 3 “classes”, but then I’m not so much into high end stuff.

3 Likes

Fastest way to level is mine, and process rock by the masses.
If you can make some teaching pies, that increases the speed.

I dont frequent Angel I. But if you need work tables i have 1k’s. and ill drop them off tomorrow if youre in game.

Can also do a few mass craft of tools for you if needed.

1 Like

the dev’s made infinite re skill until level 20
cause we asked for it
use it well before ya hit 20

1 Like

I’ve only just reached the point of being able to make a mass craft of teaching pies but have hardly any rock to process because I spend all my coin on power coils instead of forged hammers :grin: …and now there’s talk of possibly “balancing the xp and crafting times” :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Balancing xp is long overdue. Glad I got it done when I had the time as I certainly wouldn’t be able to do it with our current schedule

1 Like

It’s just typical of my luck, anytime I reach a point where I can do the same as others have been for weeks if not months then things get changed, always too late to the party, it wouldn’t surprise me by the time I’ve got any stone to make use of a pie things will change then the price of teaching pies will probably drop too so I couldn’t even sell them to compensate… but it hasn’t happened yet and I had better shut up before I’m accused of complaining or whingeing etc :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Totally understand! That’s usually myself as well so when I luck in ahead of the curve I just shut up because my luck my discussion of it would get it nerfed lol :laughing:

2 Likes

They dont have to be high tier worlds to lvl alts or low lvl characters. Just a 3x3 titanium and a lvl 1-2 world.
and you cant put power coils on a crafting table.

Yall make this too difficult. And if you have miner friends, they will usually give you their rocks.

1 Like

I know, I just meant that I’ve been concentrating on spending my coin on power coils for my workshop, I never said anything about trying to put power coils on crafting tables, not sure were you got that idea from . Power coils are needed to make teaching pies though. I have been in no rush to try this levelling up method I’ve just been playing the game for enjoyment and I’m a bit of a Billy no mates if you hadn’t noticed :wink:

1 Like