Block Properties

@ben @james

Just a quick question on block properties: Are friction/hardness/slope-ableness/etc additional effects placed on blocks or do all blocks have a value for these properties? In either case, what are all the properties that blocks can have?

2 Likes

Kinda curious about this too.

hope they add a block where grappling hook wont work.

2 Likes

hope they add a block where grappling hook wont work

That’s just evil. :hushed: lol

And we shall build a fortress of it

Nah. i would just love to build puzzles, jumping puzzles, but if everybody can use grappling hook its not much of a puzzle…

think portal.

do you think the game would have been as fun/hard if you could use your portal gun anywhere?

3 Likes

oh on that thought we should probably make grapples only attach to certain materials. You know instead of it being grapples dont work on one block is should be that it doesn’t work on all of them except a specific grapple block that you have to set up. It’d be like a travel utility.

It doesn’t really make sense that the grapples stone or dirt. So those blocks could work as non grapple blocks :slight_smile:

going from theory i dont think it makes sense you can grapple on any flat surface, considering how a grappling hook usually work, so wouldnt that argument also be used for any of the blocks in the game? also going by logic, how the hell can you remove a grappling hook so fast? xD

Well i don’t tink you can grapple dirt because it falls apart quite easily, not because the surfat is flat and i don’t think stone is very grap able becasue it is so damn hard.

By this logic wood should still be kinda grap able (depending on the typ of wood) the same goes for leaves as they have branches ing them and stuff, probably also sandstone as the stuff is hard enough to hold but if the hook is strong enough it should be able to get a grip.

What it should work on is

Loose materials like Sand, dirt and gravel.

Very har material like stone, bricks and such.

All blocks have all properties - but they’re currently only really demonstrated on a few.

At the moment the main physical properties are: bounce, elasticity, friction, buoyancy, mass, damage and softness.

Also see this post.

how does ‘‘elasticity’’ work on blocks?

(Not the expert) but it’s likely used when calculating how items bounce around. Whereas bounce is used when the player lands on something.

so bounce and elasticity is probably how much energy is transfered back, meaning that 100% bounce would allow you to keep all of your momentum since it takes all of the energy from the fall and use as energy to push the player forward in the same trajectory. and elasticity would do the same just only with items? what would the point of splitting them up be?

sorry. pure speculation, i just cant get out of my head that if this is the case would creatures count as players or items? xD

So I am guessing that a block’s softness affects how long it takes to break the block?

If so, what effect does a tool such as a shovel apply to dirt? Or does it instead work like a summation like:

Harvesting Speed = [Block Softness] - [Correct Tool Buff] - [Tool Tier] ?

New question for you, @james

Does the elasticity deal with how permeable a block is or is permeability another property entirely?

Thank you for all of your time and answers.

If by permeable you mean water - then no.

There are a load of properties that define physics, collision, simulation, transparency, visibility, meshing logic, liquid, can contain liquid, can contain ores, rotation, etc. All sorts of stuff.

Well, that is fantastically more complicated than I imagined. However, awesome to know!

Thank you!

Wait, so does that mean that you can find iron rather randomly in a block of stone rather than finding a block that it instead defined as an iron ore block?

Thanks again!

That…might be genius. :open_mouth: Or totally annoying. :grimacing: I can’t decide!

1 Like

I’d go with annoying. imagine being forced to just harvest a ton of stone just to get some iron that might not be there -.-’

1 Like