Outdated - Boundless Code of Conduct

3 Likes

gay pride is illegal in Russia so we should remove them too?

7 Likes

Good question. Really, really good one. No sarcasm intended.

7 Likes

Are you serious?

2 Likes

But he’s right. If boundless should not allow some symbols etc, just because they are banned in some countries that game is sold, then all of those should be banned. You can’t be selective, because it shows an awful bias. Either ban them all, or allow them all.

7 Likes

Clearly it is,

and the swastika question was answered by another dev in a thread and the answer was swatikas are most definitely unacceptable.

4 Likes

The Russian federal law “for the Purpose of Protecting Children from Information Advocating for a Denial of Traditional Family Values”,

4 Likes

Things like this can turn really silly sometimes, you have to use your basic moral compass sometimes, being homophobic is wrong , it doesnt matter what country your from! just because its legal to be a ■■■■ in Russia doesnt mean that this or any other game has to penalise the gay community, swastikas represent a terrible time to most and therfore are allowed in game end off.

9 Likes

I know the Russian law about that, but I think svastica is very easy to rapresent in game, it’s a precise symbol simply not allowed.

2 Likes

This needs to be more clear I think. Example: last night I wanted peaty soil to compact. I took a load of reserved land near my base. There is nothing built on it, it’s just empty plots high in the sky to stop merges. So the land is not used but it’s “below a beacon”.

Did I break the code of conduct harvesting that soil?

2 Likes

the gay pride flag too.
they are equal ((controversial)) symbols

‘hey I was risen in a christian family I don’t want my kid exposed to that gay buildings in this game’

What about religions?
If I make a church with an inverted cross I get banned for griefing too?

2 Likes

I’m going to pre-warn everyone here to be very careful when discussing the above comments.

In any normal post, I’d lock this kind of conversation down quickly as it never leads anywhere good.

Ultimately, all of the rules discussed above are down to our discretion. We’ve been researching how other games deal with similar scenarios and have implemented them here providing we agree with the principles. In this industry it’s widely accepted that Swastikas are not ever to be permitted (I don’t feel I should have to say anymore on that), and the other examples provided here are without doubt very different from Swastikas.

As mentioned before, this is down to our discretion. If someone reports a building they feel is offensive we will always look into it and make an educated decision as to what action to take.

22 Likes

You asked this somewhere else didn’t you? I would expect they would determine case by case following a report where there is not a clear rule. I don’t expect a game to go round every country’s laws checking what is considered illegal speech or not unless it’s already well known to all (swastikas) and then pre-empt them, but if you find a rainbow flag which may or may not mean something to do with pride I’d suggest you report it in-game.

This kind of whataboutism doesn’t seem very productive.

2 Likes

This is silly. Are we going to collate laws around banned hate symbols from around the world, tally the number of countries who ban them vs. not and then work out the majority to see what should be bannable and not? It’s a video game with a report system, that’s what it’s there for. Setting [infinite] rules based on exceptions and probably deliberately inflammatory edge cases about issues much of the modern world have moved on from seems like a childish way to make a point.

If someone finds rainbows offensive they can report them and see what happens.

5 Likes

They absolutely are not equal. One is associated world-wide by most people with the murder of millions of people, the other is associated with one country putting religious moral codes into state law.

9 Likes

Dude you should really stop this line of questioning, your arguing to have symbols of hatered in game and they are just not acceptable. While I think symbols should definitely be handled on a case by case basis there are some very clear exceptions that should go without saying, namely the ones you seem to want.

6 Likes

You know that both of you are very biased, and there is no way to be objective about any symbol? It is the ones who makes the symbol, and the one who sees the symbol giving them meaning. Because symbols themselves are meaningless, and what meaning will be given to them depends on context.

If you compare a swastika on an ancient Greek vase, with a photo of convicted child molester wearing a rainbow flag which symbol is positive and which is negative?

You assassinate swastika only with Third Reich because you choose to, or you were told to.

And it seems that Devs choose that too. I understand their motives, not gonna fight it, and just accept it. But just because You choose to accept the association convenient to you, does not mean that universally one symbol is worse than the other.

6 Likes

This game is for 7 yrs and up. Rainbows are not just symbols of an organisation they are naturally occurring phenomena. Swastikas on the other hand are a human design with, now, a particular association. They are not equivalent.

8 Likes

I don’t see anything about trading real assets for in-game assets. What is the position on that?

3 Likes

Pretty sure that’s in the terms and conditions regarding property, not so much a code of conduct thing.

2 Likes