Boundless Creative mode Lua scripting documentation

things like entities being added/removed/killed, damage being dealt to entities/blocks, blocks being added/removed etc etc.

2 Likes

Is it not worrisome that the small population will just go to creative and the economy will crash and the 1/4-1/3 hunters/shop owners will be stuck on an even smaller game if most just want to build on the creative part where they have no worries or no need to play the grind?

Iā€™m not worried about players leaving to play creative only. Once there are more options for players to play how they want to then word of mouth and advertising will draw in more players. Some will choose creative only, but many will choose the challenge and player interactions of the main Boundless universe.

I am excited to see what this ā€˜creativeā€™ mode grows in to.

3 Likes

Creative can get boring really quick. Iā€™m sure we will see people coming and leaving from the main universe.

1 Like

I quit minecraft because of boring creative mode and the inability to do any sort of combat on survival. Boundless is a supreme improvement! I just wanna make my own creative world and become viceroy! I just want to make a city on creative. Iā€™ve used up all my plots. Please make creative mode on PS4 :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face: I just want to use it on ps4 since iā€™m a ps4 player!

Extensive update to OP for the latest Testing 238 update.

8 Likes

Great additions! I canā€™t see anything about a machineā€™s current crafting queue/status, or a way to initiate crafts, are these planned? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is still, in my opinion, missing after looking at this quickly:

• a way to start/stop crafts, inspect the queue of machines
  • check what the player is holding
  • a way to change the item a player is holding (both change to another quick access item or one from inventory)
  • perform a player action on either right or left hand

What also would be very, very useful is a way (an event trigger?) to handle custom commands typed in the chat window! Or simply add one new command to the chat system with which a single line of script code, a function call, can be executed.

With that, a user can walk to a certain spot, initiate the script to do something like build a tree, or copy the contents of a plot, or paste the content of a plot, mark the block the user is looking at as something special (ie. a hidden door), etc., etc., etc.

It also means that non-scripters can thus initiate pre-made scripts that way without knowing anything of programmingā€¦

1 Like

Quick access items could be client-side only :thinking:

Can I ask why would you change what the player is holding and activate it?

I was planning on using an auto-door as a button and sign text as inputs to some contraptions :smiley:

1 Like

Hmm yeah, didnā€™t think of that.

Automation! Want to let the player move by itself and do things, farming, block changing, hehe. I know, I know, we can actually access the blocks and items themselves and change them and by the looks of it we might even be able to simply change crops to be fully grown right away. And of course one can give oneself the items too, but I am kinda hoping that one day a subset of scripting could be added to the Live servers and then this would be rather helpful, tho itā€™s basically botting I suppose which might be frowned upon. Still sounds kinda fun to mess with with the gameā€™s scripting language itself!

As for holding an item tho, I would like to use that info to open secret doors for instance.
Especially when we can add our own items to the game it could be a key.

You mean the opening of the door to signal to do something? Thatā€™s a good idea!

The sign text thing idea I had too, but it would be nicer if we can have a chat command to initiate a script and even add some text as input to it which the script then saves in a fileā€¦

1 Like

Yes, open a door, X happens. Spawn a cuttle, grow a crop, craft a bucket, anything.

1 Like

Perhaps we need an actual button in game! One that can crafted from some material that at least exists in a nice red, I want a red button with a sign next to it ā€œDO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON!ā€

:smiley:

1 Like

Creating a button that can open a door next to it might be the first step to creating some kind of analog to Minecraft redstone

1 Like

The old sphere at Phoenix Mall was the largest in the gameā€¦almost broke my soul - LOL

1 Like

It could also be fun to have players do stuff under certain conditions, like to let them jump over and over, bwahaha

@james

In the prototype Creative Mode, you run lua functions manually through the F1 UI. How will mods/addons/plugins in the future be installed? Is the plan to have a ā€œpluginsā€ or similar folder(s) within the Boundless install directory that would be checked on game startup to try and any lua scripts would be picked up and read?

Thereā€™s some scripts located in Boundless\server\scripts\samples, I suspect those are somehow accessible from the client?

1 Like

This outputing entity position example is not working. It doesnā€™t allow to concatenate e.position

function logplayerpositions()
  for c in boundless.connections() do
    local e = boundless.getEntity(c.id)
    if e then
       print(c.username .. " is at position " .. e.position)
    end
  end
end

I was also able to crash server many times when I was trying out some commands. For example just using boundless.setBlockValues() did crash it :confused:
But finally I got my first script working :smiley:

Free oort!
function FullStack( item, count )
    local stuff = boundless.Item( boundless.itemTypes.COLLECTION )
    for i=1, 9, 1 do
        stuff[i] = boundless.Item( item, count)
    end 
    return stuff;
end

function SpawnOort()
    for c in boundless.connections() do
        local e = boundless.getEntity(c.id)
        if e then            
            boundless.spawnItem( spItem, e.position )
        end
    end
end

spItem = FullStack( boundless.itemTypes.ITEM_ROUGH_OORTSTONE, 100 )
print("Oort Stack script loaded!. Run SpawnOort function to get some!")
3 Likes

I have had an absolute blast modifying the lua scripts. Iā€™ll post what Iā€™ve done when I get home. Anyone else care to share some fun scripts?

5 Likes