Boundless Unchained

More of a conversation starter topic because one of the 10 commandments in RPG development is, “Thou shalt not lockpick and bake with the same character.”

Boundless would be a lot more fun for me if our characters were boundless as well… either unlimited skill points per page or have worthless skills like baking not count against your total points. Even without a limit you’d still have to choose between axes and hammers… slingbows and bombs. Why does our miner HAVE to be an otherwise helpless infant on T6 worlds…? Most people would likely hate such a change because reasons, but I’ve never understood in any game why A means you can’t B, C, D, E or F.

1 Like

I would grind merrily to lvl 186 if I could put all those points active at once.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the “use it or lose it” sort of skill growth/retainment. Use a type of item, get better with it, become more productive. Stop using such a tool after a while and your skills get rusty, but you’re still more capable than someone who’s never used said tool.

3 Likes

Same!
Roofless progression❤️❤️❤️

Make the peak really far in the next big update!!
Make the peak far and blast away the sealing!

1 Like

Oh wow lol I thought I was alone in this view. I like having a 200 hour char with maxed out everything, never been a fan of alts.

Naw, im the same, my wow rogue had kike 380 days played. All other chars together like 20.

It could work especially well in a game like this which has so much diversity!

1 Like

And I thought a 50 day char was a lot…

I have far less desire to play 20 characters for 10 hours each than I do to play one char for all those hours.

Im born in 1990 so wow vanilla hit me at that time were sparetime was in aboundance. I also lived rather rural. And went to alot of lan parties. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Didnt have such time and addiction untill dark souls, were i pretty much did the same for like 6 years.

Now its boundless :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah I want Boundless to be my next WoW. It isn’t quite there yet but it could be. All depends on how the next 3 months go because if it doesn’t capture my full attention again by then I’ll end up forgetting about it and logging in to a dirt patch in 6 months.

And here i am…playing still on 1 character

2 Likes

I have alts. They get used if I need a pie and that’s it. Started building a mini town for them twice but got bored.

So does anybody not like the idea…?

yup, don’t like the idea.

Never liked the whole point of a char being able to do everything there is in a game, secondly the description to cooking skills as useless, is kinda confusing. Why are they useless compared to crafting skills, protection skills etc?

Or just get rid of all skills and let everyone do everything from day one?

Then I would quit, as then it wouldn’t be a game. I am not here to play minecraft creative.

1 Like

Skills I don’t use or am not interested in are useless. The devs should just concentrate on what I like to the exclusion of anyone else. Also, I paid for the game, I should be able to do what I want when I want. And I want a second pony; the first pony you gave me has gotten too fat.

1 Like

Cooking isn’t truly useless, but if you’re about to be killed by a cuttletrunk it’s not like you can bake him a pie to spare you. And it’s not like you’ll ever be mining at the mantle and regret that you can’t make a pie right now.

Clutter skill would probably be a better word - skills that have zero value beyond crafting. These shouldn’t count against your 100 points because having them as an active skill provides zero advantage unless you get challenged to an impromptu chilli cookoff.

Ok, two problems with “one character can do everything”.

First problem, it detracts from community and makes the idea of shops more meaningless. No reason to rely on anything from anyone, it becomes a shared single player experience.

Second problem, assuming you want a rpg/sandbox/mmo (which is what this game is, and does a great job of it), if you have unlimited skill points to put into one tree it then would require even more grinding to get to the point of complete self sufficientcy (look at RuneScape, 95% of the game is grinding and takes long amounts of time).

In other words, the game your discribing would be a better single player game than an MMO. So I 100% am aposed to this idea for boundless.

2 Likes

Sounds good! Shops aren’t much of a thing atm, not like they used to be. Most common folk are already doing for themselves aside from forged tools. Grinding skills for alts would still be an option and quicker than all skills on 1 char. But it sounds like the biggest argument against it will be that the current system sets Boundless apart from other games.

World of Warcraft forced you to choose 2 options per character, I think they were enchanter, miner, skinner, flower picker (whatever it was called) and a few others.

But more skill points per page isn’t on the horizon so no worries!