Boundless United - Apply Inside -

Angel I? Gellis?
I mean I’d mention Raxxa, but I’m biased as that was the first world I started on and it has a special place in my heart.

1 Like

Antar (t2) isn’t too crowded (never was) and the color palette isn’t too loud

3 Likes

Come build on glov :wink:

I love this idea. Reminds me of Wyllowwood. This is one of the caverns of Undermountain (D&D). It has clouds and an artificial sun.

1 Like

Don’t fear :grin: me will return some day (in game TTC lore) :wink::wink: that said i definitely don’t count as a crowd socially. (Irl depends on me mood :joy::rofl::joy:)

1 Like

I am just spitballing here but what if there was a city, that essentially is multi level. Where the ground floor is where every one lives, builds the exact place they want and so on, then there could be a market maybe at the center that is a tower, and each floor is dedicated to a single genre of shops. This way the market itself is organized. Need forging stuff go to the forge, that’s floor one. Want to open a forge store, floor 1. Need plants, trees, logs, food, that’s floor 2 in the green house. Need exo specific stuff, that’s floor 3 in Exo Exhibit. Each floor can have a portal to travel between them, and if anyone ever needs anything they don’t need to even look at a website to see where to go, because the floors are themed appropriately and what you want is easy to find.

No clue on appearances and such. But I like the idea of people building into the ground, and then congregating above ground. Kind of like a dwarf feel. The main gripe I have with malls, even if there are shops that are empty, is that they are unorganized. Someone just opens shop, if a spot opens some takes its place and puts whatever they want there, if possible trying to capitalize on an entire category of block, material, ect. We wouldn’t really need to do something so large like that individually if we had a plethora of people who focused on a specific thing / commodity. Like I saw a shop somewhere that sold only Black and White blocks, I thought that was really cool cause its less work to manage, but is specific enough that you can probably find what you were looking for there.

As for keeping active shops there, that’s another issue. But if a hub was built like this, with an organized shopping area I feel it would add a lot to the flow and feel of the game.

As for getting people who are new to know where it is, and be able to stumble upon it that could be a little difficult. Every time I have made a new character the planet I am given is Beckon as a landing point. I am not sure if the side shown when you spawn in is the same every time, but if it is, something like that could be used to create an area, that leads to said city, and name it something like “New Players Start Here” or something. You could even make the area directly around the portal into the city as a mini education center on how the game works. Congregation is good for everyone as the footfall is always great, especially when you are new. Between 1 and 30 you get maybe 20k coins from boxes, which you might accidently waste on too strong tools, or waste just using them improperly, and be unable to make that income back in the tools lifespan.

1 Like

If someone has some extra plots and doesn’t mind collaborating to an extent, I’d be glad to jump back in for a while and build above/beneath them.

A couple of folks have already talked about it in one form or another here but I often feel like there’s not enough vertical depth to a lot of these community builds. A lot of them seem to sprawl outward forever at a max height of maybe 2 plots, or they are vertical but wind up being very simply designed towers that have few distinctive features to them.

Obviously, the plot owner would have full ownership over whatever I built. I’m really just looking to squat on someone else’s property here.

4 Likes

There are suggestions about this like “rental” plots, “on plot beacons” and “Vertical zones”. In other words the ability to name a set of plots under an other “beacon” name while it’s technically the same beacon. Thats why zones extended horizontally and not vertically atm because we (the builders) use a new beacon.
As for “rental” the ability for the original owner to own the plots (a set build area) and rent out the beacon.
This would provide the opportunity to make pre-determent build areas.
“On plot beacons” technically a combo of vertical zones in a way as we would have the ability to place a new beacon (zone) on top of existing plots.

Except for rental the other two suggestions have one huge issue and that is the plot system is 2D… meaning yes you claim up and down but the game see’s only top view.
Don’t know how to explain it better though :wink:.

As for what is currently possible even that it is a nice idea “owners trust” is the biggest issue with others freely building and adding/removing in their appointed plots. In other words the original owner would have to limit the appointed builders “work time” and keep an eye out for the neighbors that are above and below said builder. (One of the main reasons you don’t see vertical malls as it adds to the work load a mall owner already has).
A solution would be to revitalize the showroom concept. And use portals and advanced locks on stands and limited the possible damage area to one plot row as a new (show)room is build by the shop owner or an inverted pyramid layout (going out per level to protect against “sabotage”).
Don’t get me wrong it isn’t that I don’t trust anyone it’s just I don’t trust everyone… currently there are just a few (even though I haven’t played with them) that i would without issue give rights to do what they like at my build(s).

I would like to see vertical malls. But i feel for the owner’s ease it isn’t doable especially when we are talking about multiple layers on top of each other and multiple shop keepers in the same plot area. If its a pre-build area and advanced locks are used for shop keepers that limits the issue. But people have to like the design then.

3 Likes

I have an alternate game that I’ve discussed with a couple of other folks here.

I’d like to flesh it out a bit, though, first … also, I need to build a (slightly different) arena for it.

But would happily collaborate on the logistics on it with anyone that’s able to put up with my airy fairyness with regards to response times. :wink:

2 Likes

So, we’ve finally arrived as a community have we? This is how I think the devs always envisioned the community playing their concept. Then the griefers caused the devs to focus on plugging that hole for about 2 years. Then the guild system was introduced and the game became competitive until the alphas established their dominion and got bored. Now here we are. . . glad to see it.

I think the best experience would be to model @Karokendo and Chisel Knights when they did Chisel Town. That always had the potential to be the best thing about Boundless. You have a planned event where there is a team of coordinators organizing and pre-building roads and infrastructure, then all participants have their property pre-plotted but not built upon. The event has enough advance notice that everyone can plan to attend (maybe around Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday season). You invite streamers for the publicity. Everyone builds on build day and you see a town spring up out of nowhere. It is the most amazing thing. If I had the time, I would organize it, but I do not. I would even consider that it should be on a creative world so that there are essentially no build limitations for anyone.

5 Likes

Honestly, I think another major reason is that it can be incredibly difficult to build upward as opposed to outward. Since we can’t fly without a Creative Mode, some kinds of structures can be hard to build without either constructing/deconstructing temporary platforms around the area where you want to work… or the constant threat of falling to your death. I would guess that at least a few players took the “easy” route rather than make some of the design choices that they might have made if the system was more accommodating.

I know this limited the execution of some of my ideas wayyyy back in the beginning of the game, and I tried to brainstorm solutions with other people back then, but that was 3 years ago so I assume that some other people have experienced the same difficulties over that period of time.

2 Likes

Yes it has thrown several design and layout design of mine also out of the window😁

As to building up high i know that frustration all to well especially hanging there and just… trying….to… hit that….corner…. With me…. :weary: again miss chiseled…

:grin: but me gonna now and let it get back to on topic.

Maybe a good idea would be the modular build theme like it has been suggested before… the underwater city like Rapture (bioshock). Just everyone trying to connect together making a major maze city :wink:

1 Like

So obviously we have some fantastic ideas and guidelines for the build :+1:

Now we just need an agreed on planet/spot.

Personally i plan to take a good look at all the planet suggestions made here and see if there is a good spot to take advantage of the terrain etc. Unless someone has found a cool spot already?

Also, if anyone wants to hunt for said spot in group, lemme know :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There are 25 T1 & T2 planets to check out Boundless world maps for download (these might be out of date)

It would be great if the hub builders would put a diamond or a compass (or anything) floating up in the sky as a quick-reference/visual landmark & maybe perimeter pylons so that we have an idea of the area that we need to avoid plotting in. (Not on a building that would block the view of it though)

We have a lot of lovely malls and markets across the universe that can connect to the hub via portal. Therefore, I hope there isn’t anything like that included in the hub - at least not in a sterile, gridded, micro-managed way. Ultima was fun because you meandered in between all of the builds and came across neat little shops & things. A lot of people created their own paths and small road sections to connect up to the main ones, so that players could navigate around their builds easily.

@Solaire what are you thinking for the name?

4 Likes

All great points made! I agree about Ultima. The way the layout made you look around and find these “hole in the wall” shops was a lot of fun imo.

Not sure about a name :man_shrugging:
Whats some boundless themed names if anyone has any ideas?

1 Like

We should definitely take advantage of the amazing builds already existing. No more additions. Just utilizing existing builds, malls, etc would really help bring people to some of the amazing things people have came up with :+1:

1 Like

All of this sounds like good fun. :thinking:

5 Likes

Great to see this initiative and determination to keep the game alive.

It would indeed be great to have a busy place that is easy to find for new players, where they can experience the social side of game before they get lost in the vast empty spaces giving them the perception that the universe is pretty dead and empty, devoid of players and activity.

From there they could also link to other big cities and malls and other builds to see, step by step, how many amazing places players created all over the Boundless Universe.

That City would be like the Heart, the Centre or the Core of the community it looks like.
A name around this maybe?
Corepolis or something.

If its important function would be embracing and guiding the new players then it could be called Aloha :laughing:
Or Umboo-ee-ee-wah :rofl: (or whatever way you spell it to get the oortian greeting pronounced as it is).

Or maybe a name stressing it’s a city of meetings and hanging out together, social space of the universe. Safe Space, Oortian Heart, Oortian Haven blah blah blah - maybe a word from a different language than English, to describe these functions of the city or its character, a word that could be understood by most?

3 Likes

We should call it Boundless United :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well if a spot is found and a basic “concept” (so i can generate ideas) or help out in anyway just let me know. Even if its just for plotting. Also can provide a temporary guild faction for example (community projects/CP-ers) set it up for the DK hub but can add factions to it :wink: just let me know where and how and ill come plot :wink:

1 Like