Boundless United Planetary Headquarters

3 Likes

as i posted before

i visited last year san sebastian in spain saw this La Plaza de la Constitucion thats a good design for it
imageimage.jpg900x675 218 KB
in the old days the people there had a room with a number and when it was time to vote they just walk onto there balconys

heres a picture off it

imagine everybody there on his own balcony shouting votes out
a vote with sound you listnen to people saying yes or no or whatever yabos say
note to dev (agree and dissagree emote) lolz

3 Likes

What if the High Oortling of the planet is in-active or very inconsistent to when he/she can play what then?

we could have a High Council made up of the High Oortlings and a Lower Council made up of people who are voted in by other players and they can get together separately to discuss lesser stuff, and together to discuss larger issues.

we could also have different departments made up of other players not part of the High or Lower Councils that deal with things too small to bring up in meetings.

2 Likes

Thank you for the ideas and comments so far.

Havok and I were able to rough out some basic dimensions of what the building would be. We still need some ideas on the look and feel. So post your screenshots or something of what building you would like. (Thank you moebius for yours). To give some direction, though, we are shooting for something that has a feel like the factory building Havok already completed. We also like the Elven castles and things from Lord of the Rings or something fantasy in nature. Or something just unique in how it looks…

We have a couple people coming up with some logo ideas, etc. Also we are not opposed to actually paying for some work to be done as well but hope to try to keep this a community thing not an individual project.

I’m not sure how the government would work and I certainly want to keep that stuff on a separate thread. Until we see direction from @james and the developers on if that stuff even will matter I wouldn’t want to be confused by it no matter how important it might be to discuss.

We are certainly not trying to push government or a bunch of other red tape type situations in a place where people are just playing a game. But, the player charter and a basic framework on how people should behave in game is critical…

I say this because last night our friends Fafmaster and SaltySloth continued to due their due diligence to push the line and show via their actions and behavior why a player charter is needed. They tried hard to attempt player harassment and griefing by closely following Havok and I for 30 minutes as we did stuff. They chased us through portals or buildings, and in circles hitting us or things with a totem, etc. We didn’t ask them to stop to see how far they would go…

So they pushed that line and quickly claimed a plot beside our UN HQ and attempted to grief/block our build with some structure without asking if we might need that plot or anything. The good news is Havok and I had left that specific plot open to see if they would do exactly what they ended up doing. It even included a very high single block tower.

The good news is that area was going to become a garden and there area where we plan to hold an abstract art contest for the community. So Fafmaster was the first to enter and we need some more people to come create unique 1x1 abstract builds.

Tonight we will be continuing the layout work and look forward to some building examples from people so we can start laying down the rough outline. If you want to start helping let us know so we can add you to the beacon. Right now we probably need some refined stone resources I think…

6 Likes

I think it’s always dangerous to assume the intentions of other people’s action, so maybe hearing from my side of things will help clear things up and ensure that this player charter thing has sufficient coverage.

My Side:

Last night I realized that my beacon that I had in New Berlyn had been reclaimed by the wild due to fuel shortages, so I decided to go back out there and setup a new one with plenty of fuel. I really like Havok’s portal hub, so I wanted to build close to it. I simply went out on the glacial ice sheet hitting the ground with my totem until I found wild ground. I put down my beacon, fueled it, and chiseled out a cool looking base inspired by the local architecture. As for the very high single block tower (that SaltySloth built so that he could take a screenshot of the view), it’s in an unbeaconed plot, so it will be reclaimed by the world eventually.

I think that some of the tension that we have been experiencing may come down to the different play styles between players. To me, I see this game as an open-world sandbox and when I see an unclaimed piece of land that I am interested in I beacon it/buy the plot. Diplomatic player relations (e.g. asking permission to buy land close to others) is a new concept to me in a video game. I am a veteran video game player, and as such, I see video games as a set of in-game mechanics that players interact with. If it’s wrong to buy a plot that borders another player, then I would expect to see an in-game mechanic that handles a request for permission. Again, the whole idea of an out-of-game code of conduct (that goes beyond harassment and respect) is completely new to me.

Please know that I intend no harm to come to others from my actions in this game. I only ask that you be patient with me, and others that see video games like me.

If you would like my New Berlyn base moved, just let me know.

Thanks.

8 Likes

I didn’t assume any actions or intentions. I don’t do that with anyone. I watched our interactions and the style of play I was presented by you over the course of the past few encounters with you and those you play with as well as how you all interacted with other people.

@Havok40k, myself, and others have clearly communicated that we are very protective of the land around our cities. We told you all many times about not just connecting or going into people’s places.

Added to that you all did follow us around very closely for a long while hitting us and things in the area. I don’t see how that conveys any gesture of being nice. Also, you could see that we were executing a very large build on a glacier that is almost completely owned by Havok.

Lastly, it is very unlikely that the beacon that ran out of fuel was in the exact plot you claimed. Instead of going back to your original plot or asking Havok or myself if we by chance needed that plot, you just claimed it and built something on it as well as left it with a tall pole that will not regen due to traffic in the area.

As an experienced video game player I am sure you are aware that Alpha development programs will have a limited feature set. Additionally, I am sure you have seen many scenarios where players actions could be misunderstood or ones that are clearly aggressive or could problems. Yet you still chose a series of actions that helped to convey those type of problem situations.

BUT, you have clearly taken responsibility and instead of just going off on me and acting childish, you expressed remorse and a plea to understand that I misconstrued your actions.

THAT is absolutely appreciated and I whole heartedly apologize if our series of encounters led me to misunderstand your actions and their intent. I take responsibility for that and am sorry. I know Havok well enough that I am sure he would apologize as well.

Yes, please if you all could remove that beacon it would be helpful since we are not finished with how the area will look. Clearing out that space will help us. If you want a beacon closer to town you can work with Havok and I am sure he will help you find a great spot that makes sense to your needs. Or if you are looking closer there are a few houses on the ice sheet on the other side of the water that likely could be built on. They look mostly abandoned…

Additionally, since you bring up a good point about the disconnect between “open-world sandbox” games and the style of play and mindset that the Boundless players have, I ask for your help. We need people to help in the Player Charter thread to give examples and suggestions on how we can tailor our communication style to let new players understand some of the nuances with the Boundless community. We also have a great set of developers that likely would adjust the tutorials or other game play things to help ensure we don’t have stupid conflicts and misunderstanding like what happened between us.

One of the biggest fears we have is that as new people come in they are used to a certain game style that will cause conflict and then result in the game losing player. No one wants that. We want a great mix of free open-world sandbox play and building with just a bit more respect and less chaos that you seen in games like Mindcraft.

Please help us in that…

Also, I’m sorry again for misunderstanding and ask that you all are patient with us too as we all are trying to fix some of the situations we just encountered because we do not want those to happen in the 1.0 version of the game.

3 Likes

This is some pretty senseless “drama”. I can’t reconcile your actions with your words. In game and in voice chat, I hear things like “you’re going to lose this war” and “makes me want to take over Eden” (a repeated threat, and continuation of aggressive annexation threats that began this sad conflict) “just tell them what they want to hear” and I can’t take your apology as sincere. Because for players who say they are wanting to play nicely, your actions have been anything but.

Your claim of a prior beacon in New Berlyn, frankly, is a fabrication. Choice of positioning and… horrid “arcitecture” shows intent to annoy. While not actually “griefing” and absolutely permissible, any sensible person would look at that mangled mess and know you’re being insincere. But hey, I don’t mind. It’s not a problem to me. I’m sure that if you’re as sincere as you claim, you’ll happily relocate your plot claim to where ever you alegedly had your previous claim. Or, perhaps you could recycle those plots into your globe spanning road? That is an interesting project that I would have directly supported were it not for the prior aggressive annexations of other players settlements without consent, but that’s resolved now, isn’t it?

I don’t think there is a need for petty accusations and feigned ignorance. Actions are louder than words, and your actions are deafening.

1 Like

That was me, just like to stir the pot a little bit. We have done one ‘aggressive’ action in game by taking tillweed market but we have backed off and left it alone. I am guilty of stirring the pot a little bit by a bit of mild (in terms of other games) banter. You guys forget pretty quickly about the possie you gathered to grief us by completely blocking our bridge.

I would like nothing more than to be on amicable terms with New Berlyn and Eden. I didn’t realize the hurt that the threat of changing New Berlyn’s / Eden’s name has caused.

2 Likes

Well, getting to the topic of how the structural design should be. I was guessing something along the lines of a big entrance, with a garden of sorts. Some boundless themed statues along the entrance, wells and fountains, etc. Something like the palace of Versailles.

The building will pretty much consist of a series of walls with chiseled exteriors and interiors.

As for the interiors. I would suggest keeping a whole theme, but have each region, have elements of the cultures related to them.

7 Likes

This would also be an interesting approach

Garden

With an interior garden that would look something like this

Portals

And a big imposing Archway as a portal to another planet with a bit of stylish decorations

Open place

Something a bit more open like this would also be interesting

7 Likes

Stir the pot indeed. When given the option before to back down, you refused. When we confronted you, it took your own friend (“just tell them what they want to hear!”) to get you to agree to back down, then you promptly contradicted that agreement with further “stirring the pot”. You continued to stir said pot yesterday. Clearly, somebody needs to pull you away from that pot, it’s pleanty stirred! It would be unfortunate if we decided to take the same actions you have been threatening to do! How would you like me to stir your pot for you, hmm?

The take home lesson here is, don’t do unto others what you would not want them to do to you!

That’s the last I will address on the matter.

@Dzchan94 that’s some excellent arcitecture, and it fits closely what I think we want to do!

@Astralus where are these images from? Some great content that I would love to study and adapt elements of into a build!

1 Like

@Havok40k
just a quick search on google

i searched for “big ancient ruin gateway fantasy”

1 Like

That’s awesome thanks, I would like to do an outdoor section to this build as well. That cave build… that sounds like an awesome build for a future endeavour!

That one was the first one to catch my eye. Glad i was able to be of some use :slight_smile:
Also i have some stacks of refined stone that i can donate. Metamorphic and sedimentary

1 Like

Thanks for that picture. Maybe we can catch you online at the same time and we can show what we have so far. There is an area for an entrance, long hall for crests or statues, then huge meeting room.

I do like that garden and like I said we are thinking of an area for that too… although, that design in the picture might be nice for the floor of the main room or something like it…

Sometimes I wish we had more lore or stuff to pull for each of the planets. Each zone needed exactly what you are talking about and we definitely need ideas from that.

@Astralus we were thinking of a bridge and maybe it should be something along those line. I like the glyphs on those verticles of the main building. Maybe our pillars could have that. A tiered top of the building might work tool or more pyramidish…

Coordinate with Havok on any donations (thank you). I’m not sure what he has and where we are getting everything. That’s one detail I haven’t fully flushed out.

From my perspective as someone that built in eden, it is not the name change that bothers me. It is the attempt to become the capital by assimilating other people’s builds instead of doing it through your own efforts. Havok has the capital because he did a lot of building on his own and people VOLUNTARILY built in his city.

The good thing is the developers have said that ultimately the game will not allow settlements of a certain size to merge voluntarily or otherwise.

1 Like

We are making decent progress with the build and our layout. We haven’t finalized on the outside look at the top and are taking the pictures into consideration. We still need some more, though.

Also we will be working hard over the next few days and through the weekend to finish this since the charter is close to being done as well. Havok is even willing to put money into paying for an inside décor, etc.

Please post and let us know if you are wanting to help and in what way. I know about Kal, but any others please let us know in what way and when you will be available.

3 Likes

Is there any Screenshots as I feel that screenshots will show players the progress of the build and help them come up with suggestions.

1 Like

make a material list so i know if i got stuff to donate

I will post a screenshot tomorrow of what we have complete so far.

We appreciate any of the donations or help… Right now we are trying to source A LOT of igneous stone right below the lake since there is a lot down there and it is very easy to get to. So we actually need some iron hammers or if someone feeling nice a diamond hammer or two to knock out lots of source stone.

We will need a decent amount of raw red sedimentary stone and many white bricks from munteen graveyards.

That right now is at least the stones we know we are using in places.

3 Likes