Buffer Zones Design Issues and Concerns

If this is still the vast majority of the complaints that are taking time away from development (according to James),then I think we need to try it before dismissing it as not relevant anymore. Personally I would prefer less time spent on conflict resolution and more on improving the game.

4 Likes

We are discussing it & raising concerns. I don’t think anyone is dismissing it. We just don’t want more problems layered on top of the existing ones. I will gladly try it & adapt, even if I don’t like it.

When guilds were being discussed I raised concerns over whether or not that was going to actually fix the plotting issues. We still have a lot of the same issues. Jus’ sayin.

2 Likes

Fine i’ll shut up

I’m not sure how many times I have to tell people this. It seems a bit confusing for most. Me for a while as well. I hope this clears it up for most.

I’m not sure if a buffer zone will be initiated like that. I think it starts with the plotting. Not the plotted.

Just wanted to add my little say on this…

I’m sure the devs are all aware with our worries and concerns on this delicate subject and yes I think it is delicate and with @james recent posting on this they are fully aware of what we think by now but don’t you think when adding something like this they wouldn’t have thought of all the plots we have already and the settlements etc (oh yes settlements were not mentioned) involved and all our efforts we put into the game??

I’m sure they are not going to add something that’s going cause more issues and upsets in the game and complicate things further.

I guess that’s why it’s TESTING first and I’m sure they are going to have a good go at testing it too!,

I’m not worried as It’s in the capable hands of the Wonderstruck team who have progressed this game so much and trying to help and benefit everyone in the game…

Sorry but I applaud them myself :clap:t3:

1 Like

the thing is until he posted that we had no way of knowing what was going on with the buffer update or if they took this into account and myself with a update like this that has the chance of nuking every city/town in the game i would rather we bring up every possible issue or scenario regardless of how obvious it may sound then to stay nothing and have it happen

unless im mis reading the entire thread no one here is bad mouthing them or pitchforking or saying “oh the devs are incompetent and going to $#@ up the update”

has i said above we are just making sure everything is covered like someone in the thread sayed “what happens to cities already setup?”

now maybe the devs go “oh yea maybe we need to revert back to the early access style of testing and copy a world with plots already setup to see what happens” and boom we just prevented evey portal hub and city form getting wiped out or they say “we are not idiots and already got that covered” in any case its better to be safe then sorry with something like this

Its too late for buffers. Settlements are touching across the galaxy. Creations would be deleted.

1 Like

When I applaud them I’m just saying they making efforts to the game so you mis read what I was trying to get across with my whole message.

We all have our own opinions and that was mine so that’s me said :+1:t3:

2 Likes

You said nothing in this post to refers to settlements. I am kind of curious on this. Secondly I’m curious how you’re going to handle properties that are already plotted when this change hits the live servers? I assume that those in Conflict will be grandfathered in? I just cannot imagine the chaos that would ensue if suddenly a two plot buffer was suddenly thrust into many settlements such as the malls neighborhoods Etc that are already inside of a city.

In general though I do support this idea going forward. My only concern is how you’re going to handle existing situations when this goes live.

It was a great post, and I’ll give it a big ditto. :slight_smile: The work is much appreciated, and clearly they’re giving it lots of thought and care, I’m sure they don’t want to add onto their own work and stress - the stuff mentioned like threatening the lawyers, sheesh. :confounded: Stuff like this is why I couldn’t imagine working as a dev… bust your tail and get things like that as a reward… yikes, people.

2 Likes

This could be fixed with a “beacon transfert system” i think.

sorry misunderstood there

I think with this you will have to implement some short of beacon transfer. Because like @majorvex stated, if you want to give your plots to someone else by removing your beacon in a city,mall, w/e it may cause big problem.

6 Likes

I’d probably even take that further and suggest that they additionally implement a way to split and join existing beacons somehow, so that one player could split off a few plots into a new beacon, transfer that to a neighbour and they could merge them into their build.

That kind of feature could probably come after the buffer release as a follow-up update though, so that they could at least start getting bits out.

2 Likes

As it stands, there will be:

• for all beacons: an option like with public-warping, to allow anyone to plot in your adjacent reserved plots without needing permission.
  • for non-guild controlled beacons: a permission to give individual users the right to plot in the adjacent reserved plots.
  • for guild-controlled beacons: the permission is “implicit enabled” for all guild members; I would hope that in many cases this removes a lot of annoyance for people working together, if your beacon is controlled by the guild then guild members will be able to plot next to yours without setting up permissions, and without having to worry about strangers outside the guild plotting next to you that you would get by just fully disabling.
5 Likes

Please note: I’m not freakn out, I just have a few Qs. I am concerned a bit as to what this will mean for existing communities.

In communities where people from different guilds(& no guilds) have settled together, do you think they will need to do anything different than they do now?

Will the new rules immediately apply to all beacons/plots or only new ones? (I assume all?)

I’d like to not have to ask everyone to join the guild, if they don’t want to.

guildperms

giphy%20(64)

Communication needs work.

1 Like

To me, the main design issue is that it’s opted-in by default.
Instead, it should be off by default, with some good indications for new players as to how to enable it. And even if there’s not, the word will go out.

The way it has been deployed, you get people who haven’t been online in weeks/months who have their old builds suddenly have buffer zones around them.

I had built around a friendly neighbor who told me it was fine to build here, he has no time to play so I see him about once every 3 months at this point, and I didn’t thought about buffer zones this morning, but I removed some plots around his place to re-plot under a new separated beacon… Lo and behold, I can’t, his buffer zones automatically took the place of the plots I just removed.

2 Likes

I agree. A simple tutorial type warning that pops up multiple times could notify them of the features.

I would also want it to be something on the beacon message or somewhere that a person without permissions can look at a beacon and understand if it has the buffer enabled or not… or somewhere that information comes out. That way when I am about to replot, I can see if the people beside me have buffers or not enabled.

Also I mentioned in a PM to @James I think they also need to add the information of “authority” inside the debug area as well. That way people can understand the landscape of the plots before they replot stuff.

I think these simple changes would have solved more than a few issues people have felt. The reality is that any person that is not playing but still has a build is already surrounded or won’t care as much that someone plots beside them now.

I feel that a patch with these 3 changes will help. I cannot speak for everyone but I would be fine going to each beacon to enable it versus being hurt really bad when I replot something in a settlement.