Build crosses beckons

Short story. Started this game in a small community on refgar. Made up of maybe 5 or 6 players. Over time it got to the stage where I became the mayor of our town as the rest had either migrated or gave up on the game. That was fine as I slowly built my own build up (I’m used to that other game and creating towns on your own). The issue came when there were just three builds left. Me, a build in front of me and one small build in front of them. As soon as the build in front of me disappeared I went straight into “beacon is boarding two or more settlements”. For a few weeks I didn’t care until I realised I was receiving 0 footfall coin especially as I have links to two major portal networks. I’m a solo player so ever penny counts (slaps back pocket in a way only UK players who remember the Tesco advert will understand).

I left it for a week and then got a bit fed up with it. So I plotted to the small build that was 7 plots away that I thought may be causing the issue (still 7 plots away causing an issue is insane!). They’ve not expanded there build in months and I was happy to remove plots if they returned. For 3 days I was back to being a settlement and getting some coin. Then last night bang I’m back to being in “boarding two or more beacons”. And nothings changed. The closest other build is 15 plots away and has not plotted any more. So I unplotted the build nearest me and I’m still in the same situation. Checked every possible area that could have been plotted and can’t find any.

I wouldn’t mind but it’s the feeling I’m missing out on any coin. As I said as a solo player every little helps. But right now this makes no sense.

1 Like

Where’s your place? I’ll come over and help you find the wonky plots :+1:

2 Likes

Just jumping on quickly to get the coordinates before I crash (5.30 alarm is a killer!), if you can help then great and a big thank you. I’ll hopefully be back tomorrow around 7.30pm gmt now that a certain real world event has been delayed.

-1403n -251e

Property is called little Britain :man_facepalming:.

Any other beacon that is more than 3 plots away from your beacon will have zero effect on your beacon, settlement and prestige.

So the beacons 7 and 15 plots away can be safely ignored.

The issue is likely that you have a beacon that is skinny somewhere. (I think of it a dumbbell, 2 fat ends and a skinny connection.) The skinny part looks like a road to the system. So it ignores the chunk containing the skinny bit. This then cuts the beacon in 2, with the ends of the dumbbell in notionally joining different settlements.

Find the skinny bit and make sure it doesn’t look so skinny.

I’ll go see if I can find the problem for you, then post screenshots here…if I’m able to.

1 Like

@james thanks. I’ll take a look at that when I get a chance as that’s a great in site into how it works. It’s as late for me as it is for you so thanks for your advice!

@majorvex thanks. If you see anything I’ll be truly grateful. Otherwise I’ll take a look tomorrow with @james advice and see what I can see.

1 Like

hey i see you helping lots off people with these issue maybe this can help is old map that shows how algorithm works final3x1dilate
got it from a map genius :grin: when dev’s introduced this in beta

1 Like

From what I can tell, this building (see pic) has a road that is only one plot wide the whole way. That will usually cause a bridge settlement error.

4 Likes

@majorvex yeah going from @james description I think I’m understanding it now. That part with the x is a red herring. So the issue first happened when I built that structure at the end. Which as James described it is a dumbbell. This was resolved by plotting that road outwards removing the dumbbell shape.

I then wanted a sort of Tower Bridge type structure over a near by river. So that’s basically the shape below.

x

xxxxxxxx
x

So a straight road with two plots either side. Which has caused the issue to reappear.

The x in the photo was me seeing if I put some prestige in the plots I’d taken if it would solve the issue, not realising it was the tower structure on the other side.

So basically I’m going to have to re plot this area again and plot extras around my tower bridge structure. I guess I’ll go back to my original design of towers either side of the river. Only reason I didn’t was due to the amount of trees either side. Probably will have to unplot then re plot with an alt.

Thanks for your help guys to understand what’s going on.

Just want to say thanks @james and @majorvex. Managed to sort my issue tonight with your advice and also got talking to @HOST due to this thread.

2 Likes