Build Land Issue

This would solve a lot of the current issues. I’d hate to limit home beacon changes though. But at least this solves the all beacons having this problem and limits it.

Could it be a different type of home beacon? A setting that you can only apply to 1 to help during your building of that area? That way we don’t impact the home features but do give the person to have one beacon that is protected with more buffer land.

This wouldn’t lower ALL conflict but certainly help in many areas.

A rental feature on beacons and the ability to give beacons to other players seems like the easiest solution to me.

1 Like

Probably because most similar games that people have played don’t have these issues.
If people start fighting, they usually experience a temp ban or a warning. If a group/guild causes issues, it’s temp or perma banned.There are consequences.

3 Likes

But I still plotted beside you and you didn’t want me near you because you were going to use that hill or tree or whatever for your build.

So I’m not sure how that helps.

I guess it could be an additional option on the existing beacons… it would definitely require a cooldown after being assigned though, to prevent abuse.

Edit to add: This is an older post I made…with or without F2P would work.

2 Likes

This is the same problem EVE has. Boundless is overly complex for people not familiar with the genre period. I had a very big learning curve but I was interested in voxel games and that is the sole reason I continued playing.

Eve has struggled for years to fix the problem you are raising. They haven’t don’t it still after 15 years and are doing one of the biggest shake ups in that game right now to get rid of stagnation. The majority of the playerbase has their pitchforks our for the devs right now, but it’s the majority of vets who are upset not the ‘newbros’.

If this problem can be fixed in a Boundless then it needs to be passed on to CCP because they need the same answer- how do you break down a complex game so it’s newbie friendly and you don’t suffer high player retention failure out of the gate. It takes a special kind of gamer to stick with a sandbox game. Sandbox games are niche games. The majority of gamers these days WANT to be hand held.

Sorry this has nothing to do with fixing the plots but you went to a new topic so figured I’d point out the why that is a bad question to find an answer for. To make it easier means a lot more handholding which has always seemed to be the counter opposite of what a Boundless set out to be.

2 Likes

Just to clarify… basically a “future build buffer” option on a beacon. You only get to apply to 1 beacon at a time (with cool down). It gives you a beacon buffer (current buffer zone design) to what you plot. This way you have the ability to reserve some additional land and protect your build.

This solves a lot of the current problems. It doesn’t stop conflict on other builds a person might have. It does at least stop it on 1 build. Plus newer players likely only have 1 build to start (their home). It does not stop abuse of the current system to take huge amounts of area but limits it to 1 beacon.

I think its an easer fix than all the other good ideas we have had.

1 Like

Oh, I meant in addition to the plot buffer.

Rent beacons/plots, give beacons/plots, and buffer.

It won’t help in dense areas unless that feature is disabled. Otherwise it harms neighbors. Good in brand new fresh areas I suppose?

1 Like

If it’s incorporated into the tutorial as a choice for a new player to make, it could be set as disabled to start with

1 Like

Maybe call it a development beacon and it would reserve x plots and only for a set time. Limit to one per account.

1 Like

It could, but it doesn’t prevent it from maliciously being turned on in an area that it’s not conducive to.

3 Likes

I think it can help. What is their shake up or is it really not relevant?

I don’t think we want to push “hand holding” too far but I do think the perception is that this is a no-PVP game and yet the plot system (among other things) is being weaponized in some ways to create PVP type interactions. So that can really screw with people if they are not prepared.

Doing something like what @majorvex just relinked would at least help set people up before they move out into Null-Space. Let’s be honest… some people never move there. I think the problem here really is the solo/mmo conflict and the not each person having their own planet. So the conflict with happen and cannot easily be lessened unless you do a few things we have listed here:

1. Teach people more about the reality of the public worlds and plot system through some separate zones for newbies.
  2. Give more incentive for people to plot near each other only if trying to build a settlement
  3. Give the buffer zone to at least 1 beacon so a person can help protect a bit more wild land for their build since they were the first person into the area
  4. Introduce a few good changes that lower conflict in other areas that link to this issue somewhat.
    and a few other I am forgetting now.
1 Like

Very true… Maybe make it impossible to turn on if it would overlap a neighbour or infringe on the border of their plots.

I’m not sure it would be possible to mitigate all possible issues though.

3 Likes

Good point. Your mall would be hurt. So no other plots in 5 chunks before you can enable? Might be hard to pull off… makes more sense to have starter world for those not ready for the dog-eat-dog universe.

Keep in mind that the more complex a tutorial is, the less likely someone sits through it or keeps playing. I wager the vast majority of people who try this game just want to smack trees, get wood, and build stuff.

All this plot stuff is getting way too complicated for all the 5-12 year olds who might try the game.

I mean, shoot, I’m not a kid and I’m confused.

3 Likes

As would most others and any dense city, not just “my mall”. We’re all trying to work around this for everyone. Obviously no one in the mall is complaining to the devs about being next to anyone.

We all helped many fresh noobs set up shops in the mall with no issues.

I don’t understand what you mean.

Anyway, I firmly believe the solution is to remove all incentives for griefing (yes, that means replacing footfall with a “Like” system where people can have a top 10 list of favorite builds and people get bonuses based on that), then introduce a beacon renting system/giving system and maybe plot buffers.

Maybe just removing all the incentives would be enough to lower the amount of support requests that none of the other stuff is needed.

Remember, the issue is the AMOUNT of support requests. No matter what there’s gonna be support requests.

Yeah sorry I meant everything and anyone in any situation like that. Just used you as an example because I am talking to you. lol.

“no other plots in 5 chunks before you can enable” - basically that the “land development” beacon option could only be turned on if there are no other plots in 5 chunks radius. So in this case 10 plots each direction from you. (chunk being a 2x2 plot area).