Bump Warp sometimes useless

C’mon. After 10 bump warps I should be out of the cave. . . also. . . after 15 bump warps I should be out of agro. . . Can we do something about the (currently) lame bump warp?

1 Like

It’s not supposed to move you out of a cave, just out of beacons or lava. Bump warp is not intended as a shortcut or agro escape.

2 Likes

oh well then I was misusing it. and I prefer the way I was trying to use it.

2 Likes

That’s fine. There are other ways to do what you’re trying to do. For example, you can force the portal to the surface by warping to sanctum while standing against a wall with your head touching the ceiling. You can escape agro by warping home or to another location on the same planet.

2 Likes

@Havok40k is correct.

The Bump Warp is not a Warp-to-Surface feature. It was added to cover a range of technical cases where your Warp would have given you an unfair entry point. Although this should almost never happen.

3 Likes

TFW you know they’re right for a reason but it still sux 'cause you’re a noob.

2 Likes

shortcut that sometimes work is to dig in rock wall 2 blocks high and few block deep and get in and do bump warp from there. If you’re standing in open space in cave it won’t work as you want.

p.s.: @james nothing to see here :rofl:

4 Likes

To be honest - I have considered nerfing the hack that allows the Sanctum Warp to be used to get to the surface. But I’m also not sure there is so much fun in getting out of a cave. We could always add a 10c charge to the bump button :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

5 Likes

Mayhaps make it more penalizing at low level with a skill upgrade later towards easier surface access. Then new players have another thing to aspire to?

Careful … suggesting more skills isn’t always popular with the rabble.

(I was thinking we’d just disable the button once you hit a certain level.)

6 Likes

that would work, though it would break my hearth :broken_heart:

Rather than eliminating the ability or penalizing players for using it, why not just add the ability to warp to surface and/or warp to home? Warp to surface could have a negligible cost, while warp to home could be closer to a normal warp cost while still discounted. If warp to home is too easy to abuse, it could be ‘warp to nearest beacon’ instead.

I think a couple of simple fast travel options like that would help the early game experience feel more active and fun without making a big impact on what more established players are able to do.

3 Likes

You have the ability to Warp to the surface and Warp home.

Create a Warp and select your home beacon. Go.

2 Likes

I was thinking of cheaper ways to do it for new players, without using warp blocks or paying the full 100c fee. For me personally, I didn’t want to keep wasting coin just to make trips back and forth, so I just dug a staircase every time I wanted to go underground. In order to not waste valuable tool durability, I even dug it out with my totem. It took a long time and was not very fun. :sob:

It is entirely possible I missed something that would have made my life a lot easier.

2 Likes

There is really a risk / reward tension at the core of this.

1. If you can freely Warp home - then you’re free to explore to an unlimited distance without constraint, because if you ever get into trouble you can instantly warp home.

2. If you can’t freely Warp home - then there is a tension between exploring further and deeper, or returning home to bank your progress and rewards. You need to keep enough energy and health to get home.

3. If you can easily Warp home but at a cost - then IMO you’re much closer to 1. than 2., but there is a penalty for doing it instantly.

The game would be easier with 1. but I think it would lose some of the tension and drama when you’re out in the wilderness. And also, you’re less inclined to try and find someone elses portal to get back to civilisation.

4 Likes

I kinda suspected all this and therefore was reluctant to post. TBH after hearing it detailed I am much more persuaded to keep the dynamic toward a well balanced game as you have detailed.

3 Likes

It could work if it were limited to home worlds only. That would make it easier on new players while still preserving the higher tension of the more advanced planets.

Thinking about it more, I also like the idea of a special home beacon that could be constructed. It would represent an additional investment in one’s home/base area to make it feel more like an actual home that you’re building up. The beacon could allow players to return to it from within a certain distance. Beyond that distance, they’d have to rely on normal warps. This could be another way to balance between both extremes.

I also think whatever the mechanism is, some meditation time would be required. I don’t think it should be a tool players use to escape danger. It should just be a shortcut they can use to get home when there is no immediate danger.

I suppose I think of two different types of outings from one’s home area:

The first is when working on a project of some kind, like a nearby building or harvesting some basic resources (mining). Your home base tends to be nearby, and you make frequent trips to pick up or drop off materials, refresh your tools, etc. This is the type of outing where I believe a shortcut would be useful and add to the fun. The current warp costs would add up too quickly to make them worthwhile.

The second type is a longer journey where you’re intentionally going out to explore, or to seek rarer resources. You leave most of your tools behind to maximize inventory space and minimize the impact of death. This is the type where a shortcut could detract from the tension that makes the experience more fun. The current warp system is more than adequate for these types of journeys.

The goal would be to figure out a way to enhance the first type of outing without negatively impacting the second.

In any case, thank you for your time and the explanation. :slight_smile:

3 Likes