Can mobs spawn above/below your plots..?

I know mobs can’t spawn in your base, but if you own an underground mountain base can mobs still spawn on the un-plotted surface of the mountain above you…?

Also, if you own the greatest sky mall in the history of sky malls, can mobs spawn on the fertile plains below you?

Not really talking about, “spawn somewhere else and eventually wander there…” only mobs that spawn above/below occupied plots.

Yes.

tenchars

2 Likes

Awesome, ty! I love goofing around with weird mechanics like these.

Pulled this lil guy off with a grapple, just because… :joy:

3 Likes

I was wondering about the same thing the other day. Wonder if we can increase its rate or trigger it. I was thinking of making something like a harvesting ground or a shooting range where i can get mobs to spawn and just mess with them when i am free for some easy quick loot (and practice).

1 Like

They would sometimes spawn under my friend’s build, which was partly enclosed. I’m not sure about inside of a fully closed space since I’ve never caught one spawning in a regen farm even though some of them have a good amount of unbeaconed space.

They’ll also spawn on blocks at the top of plotted ground, which I assume is how that picture happened. So the block itself is plotted but the space right on top of it isn’t.

You might be able to create a sort of plateau surrounded by a deep trench that they can’t escape. I tried making some mob traps when I was pretty new but since they despawn anyways I didn’t really stick to it.

Yeah they can, they even spawn in caves underneath your builds!

And on Trung with those gigantic trees they tend to spawn up high on them when you plot the ground! :slight_smile:

Somewhat related, found this out by accident when I deleted my big pyramid beacon on Kol… Mobs started appearing on the artificially built grid area, which until becoming unplotted, meant that mobs never spawned up here at all. The closest natural spawning ground would be the desert below.

It’s a shame creatures don’t slide on sloped ice… you could make a pretty easy mob spawn point into a lava pit that way!

8 Likes

They don’t…? I’ve seen them struggle to climb it but never thought about sliding. They never can climb my ice slides.

1 Like

If you build a bunch of stuff in an unplotted area above or below your plots they’ll spawn. And they can spawn in caves below your build.

Basically, if there’s a horizontal surface that’s unplotted, they can spawn there.

You could build a giant river in an unplotted area and use it to sweep mobs into a trap :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonder what the rules are that keep mobs from spawning in the regen farms and in the tunnels you dig as you mine?

1 Like

The dome on gyosha is huge too I’m not sure if it’s 100% plotted inside.

1 Like

I’d like to know how close meteors can get to plots. If I build a bridge near my place, will it prevent meteors from falling nearby?

1 Like

I’d estimate 2-3 plots, maybe closer. Had a meteor land so close while I was sap farming that it turned off regen bombs.

1 Like

We have mob spawns all the time on the dome. Its only on the side where the farm is. Hoppers and spitters mainly. Nothing like having a group of hoppers bouncing around above your head when planting crops. Also not 100% plotted on inside…Never had spawns inside so guessing they will not spawn within an I closed structure.

1 Like

According to luca: “the meteorites should not spawn roughly within 4 chunks (64m) of a beaconed plot.”

1 Like

after getting attacked by cuttletrunks multiple times in tnt… Yes