Can we please fix this bug? (Left click stuck)

Happens to me semi frequently but I also have never been able to reproduce it intentionally. Because of this bug… when warping home I clear every tool out of my right click wheel while still in the sanctum prior to walking through the portal, and I generally do not re-equip any tools until I am out of my base unless I am actively building.

I’ve got 60fps most of the time and it still happens, so I don’t think a good PC saves you, it’s something else.

Hmmm, ok, then it might still be something in certain PC’s that makes this bug crop up, I mean I have never ever seen it. I do play with a controller on pc most of the time but not always. Also I play still mostly on my PS4 but even so I should have encountered it in the 100’s of hours I did play on PC…

DK hasn’t seen it either, so it’s why I suspect it is something with the Windows install or the hardware or some other piece of software that is running which makes this occur. Might also explain why the devs can’t seem to reproduce it…

1 Like

Do you often shift click stuff at pretty much the same time as closing the window? What button do you use to close the windows?

I use shift click a lot when not using a controller. And I use ESC to close windows in the game I believe, it’s kinda automatic so am starting to doubt myself now, haha.

Then again most of my play time on PC is with a controller…

I suspect it has something to do with the buttons you use, maybe not because they somehow behave differently, but because it’s easier to hit them at the exact same time as shift clicking something. “Shift + click + e” and “shift + click + tab” are easier to press than “shift + click + esc”.

Or maybe shift + click + e does somehow behave differently and it’s the cause, I’m not sure tab has ever caused me to hit the bug, might be only E.

DK stated that he uses ESC to close machines/storage and has never had it happen.

I almost exclusively use ‘E’ I’ve noticed to close out of machines and storage… Happens about 2-3 times daily. I frequently Shift click, to move items to and from. Might help get a reproduce out of it. @james (running Fullscreen, quite frequently alt-tab off, or mouse over to second monitor.)

Just going to throw a spanner into the works here, this bug has occurred on PS4 for us.
I, unfortunately, don’t remember the exact specifics of what was happening when it started but it had all the same symptoms i.e. non-stop tool use until you press the button for the corresponding hand.

It will also happen any time the controller goes flat while playing but that’s a side-effect that almost every console game seems to have in common.

Maybe it doesn’t happen to people with a US or UK keyboard? That would explain why Wonderstruck doesn’t have the problem.

Happens to me, US keyboard here.

1 Like

JUST happened, stand by for steps…:

I have sand in my Inv

I would like to move the sand here:

So I open storage with E, then LEFT CLICK to pick up the whole 27 stack (didn’t shift click), and drag the 27 onto the stack in storage. LEFT CLICK to drop the 27 into the stack, then pressed E to exit storage. Was holding an AXE then started axing my base to death until pressing Left click

(I dont remember the amounts, now im guessing i didnt have EXACTLY enough to fill that stack… But thats the general jist of what just happened =P)

And again, about 67 soft coal into the stack on bottom. Opened with E, click/drag to stack, then E to exit storage

Looks like the clicked and dragged coal filled a 100, then put the leftover 3 in top left slot. maybe I hit E before it was done sorting out the stack into the stored stack?

4 reproducibles I can confirm as being able to hit.

1. Windows only (But Mac untested…): make the right mouse-button your “primary mouse button” in Windows ease-of-use settings. Have tool in your left hand, go into inventory, hold the right mouse button and exit inventory; left hand starts swinging. This is caused by the game not handling the swap of mouse buttons correctly when “input locked” (not in a menu) and will be fixed in the next release.

2. Windows only (Mac untested, but tested on local linux development version which uses the same SDL apis for input, so likely not an issue on Mac): have tool in your left hand, go to inventory screen, click down the left mouse-button and drag the mouse off the screen entirely, then without letting go press E to exit the inventory screen. The tool will be swinging, and even if you let go of the mouse it will not stop swinging. This appears to be a mouse capture issue in the game for windows only, and is not a 100% reproducible but seems to be occuring more often the faster you perform the actions (but not stupidly fast, just not waiting a long time in between). no fix yet.

3. All platforms: Start swinging a tool by holding the mouse button, go into the inventory, drag the mouse out of the screen without letting go, let go, press E to return to game; tool starts and continues swinging. This seems to be 100% and occurs on the local linux dev version, so likely on Mac as well… no fix yet.

4. Probably all platforms, definitely on Windows. Start swining a tool and open the steam overlay before letting go, tool keeps swinging. This is because we aren’t handlign the loss of focus due to opening the steam overlay, and it should be handled like alt-tabbing where all inputs are “reset” etc. no fix yet.

I am yet, either on my local linux version (SDL, should match Mac) or on windows, able to get the tool to keep swinging in any other way… can anyone who has hit this maybe see that it is one of these 4 or something else?

9 Likes

There’s a case where you don’t take the mouse off screen, change the active window, change any settings or open overlays. You simply move an item in the inventory, close the inventory and the tool starts swinging.

1 Like

Indeed, the case i had twice today as outlined above, closely resembles #2, but at no point in both cases did I move the mouse off-screen

I have a Intel 8800k, 32GB RAM, GeForce 1080 TI, SSD hard Drive… You get the idea… I don’t think the pc speed has something to do with it.

Originally I thought it was a line speed issue, but we now have fibre, 2-5ms ping, 50mbps download and 8-10 Mbps upload. Line is always full strength when I check it, so that can’t be it either.

I mostly use shift-click, it’s quick, I like quick. :laughing: But I usually don’t close the window the same moment.

It depends what I was doing, sometimes E, sometimes ESC.

I barely use the steam overlay and never experienced that problem when I did use it.

(Sorry, don’t know how to do multi-quote on phone, hence multiple replies)

I don’t usually drag my mouse off screen, but needless to say, I have two monitors and I wouldn’t be surprised if apps have popups or notifications that I don’t notice that take the mouse off-boundless-screen whilst playing?

I can reproduce the steam overlay 100% everytime but not the other ones, also works if you hit them at the same time. I dont get this bug very often until I tried reproducing, maybe 2/3 times in over a year (exiting menu/inv way). Also I never use steam overlay unless I’m standing still or an accidental hit, which would be during meteors so I wouldnt have noticed as already constant clicking (windows 10)

Ummmm can you guys release a Linux version on Steam? I feel like this game would do well in that community.

2 Likes