Ceph websocket closed [this can be closed]

So, Brown Town hunt just left for their daily 8pm UTC hunt on Ceph… then EVERYONE was kicked from the planet. Portal is shut - “websocket closed”.

2 Likes

Circ just went down for the same reason!

Yeah cant get back on Circarpous either

Its coming back up but when I travel to it from Sanctum disconnected again straight away

It might be time for them to possibly let us know what is causing the connectivity stuff lately … there’s a fair few support threads on it now.

Yep - Circa closed over here too

James spoke on the general connection issues here:

But this looks like something completely different. More like a server crash.

2 Likes

Jumped to a Sovereign world from Circarpous and they are fine

1 Like

Can someone tell me what “bad internet weather” is, please?

1 Like

Yep Circ is closed for me.

When you connect to a server, you don’t connect directly to them. You route through some number of other servers using DNS an IP resolution/routing systems that are largely automated. If there is a disruption to this system, for example if an IP pool is poisoned, there is major botnet activity, or a major ‘backbone’ server is added, removed, or restarted, it can cause IP routing to be disrupted.

Major internet routers contain IP tables that remember, generally, what the best route to a particular area of the internet is. Which server should X traffic be routed to if they want to get to Y IP address. When one of the disruptions occur, all of these tables are suddenly out of date and the system starts sending traffic through new routes that aren’t necessarily the best. As they get reports back that data transfers didn’t go well, they adapt and start trying other routes until they feel like they have found a good path. This can take days to weeks to get back to good-performing IP tables, assuming there aren’t more disruptions. Sometimes this means jumping across the ocean twice to get to a server in the same city as you.

I’m sure there are other major causes of “bad internet weather”, but those are the parts that I’m familiar with.

2 Likes

Ahhhh thank you. I understood 94% of that, I think I get it.

3 Likes

until now?
haha

1 Like

Maybe they launched an exo and it kicked everyone off while its active…

Oh well, my main base is on Circarpous so guess I’ll come back later.

Last time this happened someone reclaimed a Very Massive area XD

1 Like

Is TNT still there? Hahaha

3 Likes

Lol yes TNT did not reclaim

4 Likes

The end is nigh!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: maybe they forget to pay the Internet ( I know I know it doesn’t work like that)

I recall arie getting knocked sideways when I dumped about 200k Rock on the floor. That caused 30mins of epic lag followed by being completely disconnected (not a total server crash though)

2 Likes

anyone looking for quick high tier access

new portal opened to ultima!

next to the higher tier portals

3 Likes

We believe this should now be resolved - please report if you see anything again.

1 Like

Aye, cap’n!

1 Like