CIE LAB color help

Please don’t blast me since I am not sure this is the best place to put this.

I am working on a method to blend CIE LAB colors in photoshop as using a spreadsheet and mathing it out is not work.

Is their any clues from the Devs to help me better understand why and how to blend the “light” the way the game does?

I have been keeping a log of in game attempts but it never matches the math nor the layering in photoshop.

Is their a filter that needs to be applied to the original color or the color being mixed into it? A third layer that is not perceived by the players?

I realize the Devs want us to struggle but I think the goo system is been out long enough that maybe just maybe they will show us some love and give us a hint on this.

A dev posted this

and there’s this

…and I think @Firehazurd and @Simoyd made some data charts

1 Like

Yea the Color mixer posted is flawed for goo mutation. Ran through those numbers and I am using the in game LAB info for the colors as well.

I wouldn’t be asking for help if I didn’t exhaust every method that made sense to me. Spent a month reading all the different pages of color theory and detailed info on color spaces. Something is diffrent…

I don’t think mutations are always the same step sizes, so it’s harder to do the math on it, there’s some randomness there I believe. My best guess has been to do equal sizes of the start color and the gleam color, and if I get to or pass the middle color, then I know I got some good rolls. Otherwise, just got to go more and more.

That is why I have been keeping a on going log for all my attempts. Got 3 different room set up with 39 goo growth points in each. there is mild 1% variants that pop up yes but the core color is repeatable each time.

So even thought they are not directly predictable all the methods mathematically are no where close to the methods I have tried using color theory.

So if they are using some extra steps it would be nice to know that. Since the game obviously is using a algorithm to do it.

1 Like

Last info i remember was that the pigment mixer and goo mutation follow the same algorithm. The difference with goo is that it has a chance to mutation to a another direction in the lab environment of the color palette. the only thing i don’t know is if the goo mutate to the next color then mutate to a random direction or it go to another direction from the original planted color.

That is good info, I appreciate it. However, it does not, sadly, help me figure this mess out lol.

Like, I would like to know if it is a 90 degree triangle overlay…how may degrees should it have… does it have a more liner method? Does it have to be set up in a 3D space to get a full understanding?

Would a macro be a better solution to mimic the algorithm?

Yeah its not same actually i have it wrong. It will use a list of color between red and white (red goo on white gleam) then these colors are “steps” so it will pass from red to like light red etc… until you get white. It won’t mix 50/50% like mixer would do.

See I did a Dark Green Gleam and a Crisp Green Goo… resulted in a Cold Viriadian… ummm where did the blue come from?

could be a mutation to another direction like i said before, or do you get always that color ?

Same color everytime. Only a 1% chance for offshoots but about 28-32 of the 39 will be Cold Viridian.

that means this is the closest color to the next step in their lab environment between these 2 colors. It’s pretty hard to figure out without the algorithm.

Aye, that is why I am like, “Hey Devs throw me a bone here please!”

Granted once I sort it all out I plan to share it with the community which they may not want lol.

anyways pretty sure its not perfect, when you mix white and black it gives rush slate in the mixer.

So let me ask you this…I know its weird but what color is the sun on the planet your growing yours on?

1 Like

There was originally plan with atmosphere to take effect how goo mutates. You think it is still taking part of it? :grimacing:

Not sure, I am going to build a growth room on a planet with a different sun color and use one of my known color combos to see if it changes.

1 Like