Color Index and their relation to the planets

Looking for materials to complete the Boundless Colors display on the Oort Temple. I ran across a problem, I had collected flowers along my gameplay and didn’t know where they coming from, so I decided to go to each planet, collect the resources and put them on display. Sounded easy enough, until I discovered flowers, mud, mould, growth and gleam were the things harder to find. @AnnieGYG told me about how the Color Index matched from the Gleam of a planet to the corresponding flower.

So I went and tested it out on my trees and leaves display, and sure enough it matched. So for anyone wanting to know, what material it is, and where does it come from. Open the debug mode (Press “.” 3 times) and read the Block Type and the Color Index. Important Note, I tested it only on trees and leaves, can’t tell if all the blocks in a planet fit in the following Color Index Ranges.

EU CENTRAL
Therka (33 - 35)
Septerfon (36 - 38)
Munteen VII (39 - 41)

AUSTRALIA
Vena V (42 - 44)
Andooweem (45 - 47)
Alturnik (48 - 50)

US EAST
Solum (51 - 53)
Epsilo (54 - 56)
Vulpto (57 - 59)

US WEST
Berlyn (60 - 62)
Elopor (63 - 65)
Nasharil (66 - 68)

Important note, it having different Color Index doesn’t mean it looks different, apparently it just means what planet you can get it from (My supposition).

Tried the Color Index on the planet displays for Solum, Vulpto, Epsilo, Therka, Munteen VII, Elopor, Berlyn, Nasharil, Septerfon; with the following blocks (Leaves, Wood, Timber, Soil blocks, Gravel, Mud, Sand, Grass, Rocks, Stones, Refined Rocks, Mould, Growth, Gleam and flowers) and the Color Index Fits in the range mentioned.

6 Likes

Great job :slight_smile:

This will really help people if they have a piece of stone or wood and they want more but can’t remember which planet it came from.

(If you need the gleams for the project just give us a shout and I can donate the ones left outside my place from my gleam location guide)

1 Like

Tried the Color Index on the planet displays for Solum, Vulpto, Epsilo, Therka, Munteen VII, Elopor, Berlyn, Nasharil, Septerfon; with the following blocks (Leaves, Wood, Timber, Soil blocks, Gravel, Mud, Sand, Grass, Rocks, Stones, Refined Rocks, Mould, Growth, Gleam and flowers) and the Color Index Fits in the range mentioned.

1 Like

Only three colours for each world? Isn’t thickly…

Color Index is different than colors.

Each planet seems to have 3 Color indexes, and they use that for the different types in the families, clay, peat and silt, have the same smart stack, but different color index.

Well apart from the common blocks with no tint change like ice and glacier, which seem to have a color index of 0.

1 Like

The worlds color variations are a first pass where some colors were reused. In the longer term there will be more color variation available.

Items and blocks have up an 8 bit (256 possible values) color index in to a color palette. There are various palettes that are for families of items/blocks so when you crafted an item the color index of one of the inputs is passed through for the item color (where its used).

The index is why the color mixiing thread wont fully work as there is not storage or a full 24 bit (or 16 bit) rgb to mix. We have discussed paints/dyes to allow items to be colored for a reserved set.

5 Likes

is there any way to state that in simpler terms. i understand the words, but not the process. I understand the words, but not in those specific sentences. and i’d love to understand this game a bit better.

1 Like

I not understood some things too.

Well, if we take a trunk, a rock and a soil with equal colour index, then will this three blocks have one colour or three different?

The same index does not mean the same color unless its the same palette.

The palettes are families of objects (without looking it up) they are along the line of

• soils
  • rocks
  • woods
  • gleam

So rock index 3 and gleam index 3 can be totally different colors.

In the World Builder a planet can choose any index from its palette for a each block type…

3 Likes

that does help quite a bit. thanks.

It’s incredible :upside_down:
Well, I thought what it’s one palette for all blocks exclude flowers. Thank you for explain that!