Coming back is a bad experience

Obviously this game is a bit different then most MMO’s with Gear Progression and Items and Banks…

Maybe the player should get a refund in cash based on Prestige?!? 10% of His prestige lost upon beacon expiring deposited into his bank account…

So a 10,000K Beacon would earn 1000 gold
Or a 2,000,000 beacon would return 200,000 gold…

this is just an idea… I wouldnt go much more then 10% or people will turn it into a new way to make money lol…

Yes this post has gone in the wrong direction. People brining up fuel is just a way to ignore the larger issue the player had which was – it hurts to loose all your stuff especially when stuck on a planet away from people.

This was basically address in us letting him know that the developers are looking at options on using the “gift” system to be designed as a holding cell for lost items. But, obviously there is no timeline on delivery or if it will happen.

And us requesting a way to get back to starter planets…

If I were gone eight months and didn’t arrange for friends to fuel my beacon, I wouldn’t expect anything to be there and would expect to start over again. That would be a good thing anyway as 8 months gone I certainly would have forgotten how to do things and half the world would have changed anyway. He intentionally let his beacons expire without saving anything and he intentionally allowed ALL of his beacons to expire thus giving him no place to store anything. Everything that happened was his choice and he knew ahead of time what the results would be if he didn’t skip over reading the tutorial. It was totally his own planned choice and he got the exact results anyone should expect if they read the tutorial. If he didn’t read, there is nothing that can be done about that choice. We can’t force people to read.

ESO is nothing like Boundless. You don’t build your own storage facilities (at least not back when I played). When I have left games before and gone back I have always had to restart. No problem. It was my choice. In the case of Boundless all you have to do is either arrange with friends to keep an eye on your beacons and provide them with fuel to refuel now and then, or, let your beacons expire while gone AFTER you have arranged with a friend permissions on their property to store whatever items you like there. Planning solves any issues I see here. He also chose to delete his landing locations which is the only reason he was stuck on a planet for a little bit. Again, that was his choice. His solution for his bad choice is we should all be prohibited from deleting our landing locations to save us from ourselves. We don’t need others to save us. We just need to accept the consequences of our own actions.

lol You hit upon a way for builders to make money! Carve out a 12 plot area underground or above ground. Fill it with materials totally (aka “building”) so it has as much “prestige” as possible as cheaply as possible. Do it all on a one week beacon or whatever the short one is and let it expire. You collect the refund then replot and as they say “wash and rinse, repeat over and over” to generate money. Heck, do it next to a mine and just keep mining the stuff and packing it in. Do it quickly and you can keep at least five sets expiring per week. lol

We have a way. Don’t delete your landing site and allow every beacon to expire. Keep 100c or whatever the cost is to use the sanctum warp on the right to go to your landing site. The only time I have seen this as an issue is when one person chose to do everything possible to screw up himself. I would still like to know how he managed to have zero money after 7 weeks of playing too despite buying gem tools constantly.

I have said with friends it’s not a problem. Here is a great example of the good people of Boundless saving builds for people (and thus the possessions too).

This is from @Attica in December of 2017…

" I had a hard time getting back and obviously my beacon expired! @AmandaPan has found my ‘broken temple build’ ( with a few pieces of blue gleam) and claimed it from the Regeneration Gods for me! Thank you!"

@AmandaPan is one of the many awesome people in Boundless. This was just because the problem was seen. Attica quickly got their temple back. In the case of deployments or vacations etc. it’s easy to save everything with a few friends. The system isn’t broken.

1 Like

You and others completely missed his point. Your last few points completely show that.

This topic should just be closed at this point because of how people turned it around into the wrong direction. His intent was never what everyone else is complaining about at this point.

1 Like

:thinking: Yeah I would expect that same thing, elf.

True, that’s where that returning player tutorial would come and handy. And the game is ever changing so there would be new stuff to learn forsure.

No, I get that Elf he kinda screw up. I mean personally I would want to come back to some of my stuff a refresher would be nice to learn what is new but it took a while to reach where I am at and I would prefer to pick up where I left and take part of the new content.

I was focusing more on what he said here, although you might want to start a new, players like this cat might feel this way also. Lost, not sure where to go from there There is no additional options besides shutting the hell up and start with wood tools(currently). But what if there is a system in place where it can cater to the majority?

The way I see it it can play out in several ways if there was a returning player system;

A) If a Seth clone does the same thing but there is a safety net with storage he may not have his beacons but he could still have some of his machines or whatever to help him jump start his come back.

B) If someone comes back to play casually for a new update where do they stand? They can either pick up where they left off or they can make a new toon and start over but the option was there.

C) If someone like yourself comes back, don’t feel like using the safety net and deletes all your toons and items with them and start new. You had the option but that’s not your style but at least the option was there.

At least all three types of players return and the game cater to each one of them base on a simple choice. do I use the safety net for returning players with expired beacons

FYI - you can own a house in ESO now and build your own storage where only people you give permissions to can access. They are instances based so you won’t find random people in your instances. Ever.

2 Likes

No one has missed any points. Infact all thats been said is correct. I agree that your landing spots should not be deleted as a backup. But i find it weird that someone in the game does not save locations on differant planets. He was on a high level planet leads me to belive he has been to various other planets which he could of saved locations on for mines etc. Also i know he said hes a solo player but in the time hes been on he must of made some sort of friends in the game it takes 2 seconds so message one on discord or on here to find where they are and use sanctum to portal to them obv making sure they are close enough. Now onto the point of stuff you keep if your beacons go. I wouldnt mind a small chest so you can put like a set of tools in and stuff to move around etc but i dont think it should be a large amount otherwise noone will be bothered about fueling the becons they will just leave everything for a while and come back when they want just to have everything say in a mailbox waiting for them. Just as a fyi all that i said up top is applicable to anyone not just the person in question before someone pipes up. Boundless is a social game you need friends in game for times like this otherwise your screwed. The point to take out of this thread is yes maybe we need some form of chest with low slots for the neccessities but to also maybe put in the tutorial saving locations help (alot) like say your going through and you find aquatopia or therka you should think oooo ill save location so i can get back its not rocket science to think that.

2 Likes

I never said the points made about responsibility and trying to find friends to fuel were incorrect. Yes no one missed any points – in fact they brought points in that were not relevant to the original post at all because of the context.

The rest of this post isn’t related to what you said po11ard90 but instead for those that seem to not understand why underlying issue here with how people treat feedback sometimes in these forums.

The user clearly knew what they were doing but that does not negate the perspective and experience they were showcasing on being stuck on a hard planet having to start over with no tools and stuff. The post was very informative and critical for development.

Instead we had a group of users in the forums that beat him up and called him out for being not responsible and a million other things. That is exactly what shows that they missed the point completely. They brought their view and non-constructive communication style this post and ruined the actual point of it.

The developers here need a variety of view so they can build a well rounded game. We will have people that for whatever reason will have expired beacons, no close locations, etc and be on a hard planet. They will need to start over and there might be a situation where they cannot get to a starter planet. Because of this is it important that the developers ensure the ramp up time to get back isn’t so severe that the person just leaves and never comes back.

If we want a vibrant community we should spend time considering and supporting ways to make sure those that come back after losing everything are met with a game that supports them in returning and not beats them down further because they left. Hence the actual title of the post says it all – coming back is a bad experience.

That is what the message behind the original post was about.

Fair enough, guess it was only 2 months. I lost track from all the hours. However 2 months progression is still gone after 2 weeks.

Also I had only 1 location because I was shown how to get to it as a new player, and it was before the level and difficulty changes which killed vulpto. I didn’t see a point prior to that change to have any other markers as I was able to survive just fine prior to that and farm stuff just fine and players as few as it had, had been living on it because of the easier location it was as a half step from 2 to 3 and provided rubys as a form of something to sell. It was only after they increased difficulty people flocked away, I was still on it, but had no way off and I was like meh I’m close to quitting because of this so f it, let’s see what happens when I let my beacons go out with the bonfires in each chunk. I expected the bonfires to be 1 chunk permanent holders with no fuel. But they weren’t. I figured I would test one thing before quitting. I came back and was like ok, let’s see now test this as a restarting back up type scenario, and this is how I got here. I had to literally suicide over and over and over and over and over and over and over and it was only until another player helped me get out of that he$% that I was able to be free’d from that. However I had nothing left but levels which I would NEVER give up because of the grind it took to get them. 110 hours for level 33 BEFORE atmosphere is in the game and the next tier of items is in the game. Not really kind to starting over fresh, and it hasn’t been implemented to be friendly to starting over without a fresh start. I did get back to Vena 5 but only after 4 hours of traveling trying to find anything to get off of vulpto that had once been on the planet.

If you want sometime I can show you easy portals to get between Vena V and Vulpto. I have homes both places.